Review- VPI Nomad Turntable
Oct 27, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 63
I'm sure it's a nice turntable but since you state that this "was the first time I really got to spend time with vinyl", the review tells us nothing about its sound compared to other turntable/cartridge combos.  Glad you like vinyl now, but don't think you know the sound of vinyl, based on this one turntable with a $99 retail cartridge.  Too bad you don't have a point of comparison or know if this one is better or worse or different than its competitors.

Agreed. Pointless "review" written by an individual who doesn't even own a turntable.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #32 of 63
Agreed. Pointless "review" written by an individual who doesn't even own a turntable.

Hardly pointless. The fact that it stimulated the OP's interest in vinyl, I'd say there's a very good point in his review, particularly when he stated outright that he was "part of the Nomad's target audience". 

Having demoed the unit myself, and having had a fair bit of experience with turntables at this point, I added some info to back up the OP's statements and try to make the thread a little more helpful. Did you miss that bit?

Don't be a jerk, man. Better someone's first vinyl experience be with a Nomad than a groove-grinding Crosley. We're supposed to be sharing knowledge and experience here, not knocking each other down. :/

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #34 of 63
Sorry for being honest. Your opinion is pointless anyways. Go on 4chan or somewhere else and be a dick, it doesn't belong here.

It's an opinion of someone who's owned turntables for ~40 years and knows what it takes to review one. Going into it blind ain't it, nor is auditioning a TT outside his own system. You guys are a riot.

Edit: I see you're a student who doesn't own a turntable. Just great. Hope you felt better after uploading the post.

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #35 of 63
Curious if anyone else has bought one.  I picked one up as I thought the price point coupled with VPI quality and ease of use would be a great first turntable.  It was very easy to set up and I enjoyed a my first couple hours with it, but then the pulley started popping off.  Also, the motor was quite loud (although the instructions say this will quiet down).  

I actually returned it and received another one, but this time the tone arm lift was broken out of the box and again the motor was quite loud.  This was disappointing, especially after reading impressions at various web-sites.  Maybe these are the concessions you have to deal with at this price?  I returned the second unit and ended up getting a Marantz tt-15s1 which has been great but at a much higher price and without a headphone amp or pre-amp.  

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #36 of 63
Curious if anyone else has bought one.  I picked one up as I thought the price point coupled with VPI quality and ease of use would be a great first turntable.  It was very easy to set up and I enjoyed a my first couple hours with it, but then the pulley started popping off.  Also, the motor was quite loud (although the instructions say this will quiet down).  

I actually returned it and received another one, but this time the tone arm lift was broken out of the box and again the motor was quite loud.  This was disappointing, especially after reading impressions at various web-sites.  Maybe these are the concessions you have to deal with at this price?  I returned the second unit and ended up getting a Marantz tt-15s1 which has been great but at a much higher price and without a headphone amp or pre-amp.  

I was the first person to review the tt and right out of the box there was no motor noise. It's sad to hear that their quality control is lacking. And it's not because it's a "cheap" turntable either. I purchased my first turntable last month which was a Pro-ject Debut III and I've had no problems with the build quality there.

May 21, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #37 of 63
Hey guys

If i buy the Nomad, is digitizing posible?

Even though their website states the phono cannot be bypassed, can i still use something like the hrt line streamer to connect it to my computer?

May 21, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #38 of 63
You would need a line-level ADC, rather than one that takes a phono input. Something like an EMU 0204 would work well, for considerably less money. Blue Jeans cable can build the necessary decent quality shielded custom cables for connecting between RCA and 1/4". 

May 21, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #39 of 63
Thanks Packgrog!

Not much into vinyl, but i do have some vinyl-only releases that i would like to preserve.
Obviously sound quality is important to me, and this one seems to be good for $1000

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #40 of 63
heya fellas
I'm very interested in the Nomad,but a local dealer here said that VPI will discontinue the Nomad next week,
I'm targeting the Nomad because I has all the stuff I need to start listening to vinyl,and I can plug it straight to my Audeze LCD-XC.
any tips here guys?

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #45 of 63
Traveler needs separate preamp to work, and is also more expensive. If you are just starting the whole vinyl thing, something at the nomads price range is more than enouh for what you probably need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back