Review- VPI Nomad Turntable
Jul 14, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #16 of 63

Thanks! And you are right I think VPI with one of those companies would be an epic combination. While they have been building turntables for years I bet they don't have much experience with headphone amps hence the buzzing and lackluster power output. I'm looking forward to seeing others reviews and noting if they have the same experience.

Yeah - Plus they've mastered the art of infusing the VPI reference-level magic in affordable decks! I rock two Travelers now, as opposed to my old VPI Scout!

I just dropped Mat Weisfeld an FB message to discuss this, as I'd LOVE for the Nomad to be a winner for them!
Imagine the Nomad at Urban Outfitters instead of the cheap Crosley and TDK decks!
Did you know Urban Outfitters is the #1 vinyl retailer in the US??

If they had a top-quality headphone amp in the Nomad - they could position the deck in that space easily!!
Even Turntable Lab would start carrying VPI - I think!!

But I'm psyched you're re-discovering the magic of vinyl in a personal audio rig! I think that's the biggest thing missing at out Meets
and headphone shows! Vinyl playback through my cans is one of my favorite things to do!!!!

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 63
The Nomad got me excited to get back into Vinyl.  Ultimately, it let to a VPI Traveler purchase.  But, I still think the nomad is easier and more fun.  Also, I have a fantasy of having a Nomad and a Woo Audio WA6 on my nightstand.  Nice and simple.

I'd love to hear a review comparison between the Nomad and Traveler.  I'm beyond happy with the Traveler, still curious about sound differences.  

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #19 of 63
  The Nomad got me excited to get back into Vinyl.  Ultimately, it let to a VPI Traveler purchase.  But, I still think the nomad is easier and more fun.  Also, I have a fantasy of having a Nomad and a Woo Audio WA6 on my nightstand.  Nice and simple.

I'd love to hear a review comparison between the Nomad and Traveler.  I'm beyond happy with the Traveler, still curious about sound differences.  

I'll be digging into that comparison for sure!

But we should ALL remember these two are VERY different decks.
The Traveler has obvious advantages (I was the first to review it at Positive Feedback - as I knew Sheila really well).
Psyched you got into one! From the rigidity of the base and the gimbaled tone-arm to the better-quality motor of the Traveler - it's just a different beast from the Nomad...

The Nomad was built for somebody to have an all-in-one vinyl solution, a true beginners table.
The Traveler is for somebody who's into vinyl, but ready to step beyond consumer-level crap.

You should look into the Gingko Audio Cloud 9T for the Traveler - it took that deck beyond my VPI Scout!!

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #20 of 63
A short list of some things I love.

1. Positive-Feedback.com.
2.  Your review of the Traveler.  It helped me make my decision, so thank you!
3. Hobby upgrades!   Ginko cloud and dust cover are on my wish list, maybe an HRX Center Weight too.

I really do want to thank you for your review.  Just incase it ever feels like a thankless act, it does make a difference in peoples lives.  Bringing a little happiness to some, a little business to others.  Awesome work!

I have a super crush on vinyl right now!  :)

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #21 of 63
FWIW, I attended the launch of the Nomad at SoundStageDirect, and brought along my Lawton-modded AH-D2000. I tried the headphones that they had on the units there, and none were up to snuff compared to my own, IMO.

Now when I say I was very pleasantly surprised by how good the Nomad sound, I should qualify it with my background in the vinyl hobby: I own a Michell Tecnodec with Michell Special RB250 tonearm, Dynavector 10x5 high output moving coil cartridge, Musical Surroundings Phonomena II preamp, Mapleshade 4" maple platform (before that a Gingko Cloud 10 that just didn't quite work optimally with my turntable), etc. I've been a hi-res vinyl rip junkie for a few years now, and have proven to be unusually picky about the sound from turntable recordings. I also am not especially fond of Moving Magnet cartridges, and am particularly disinterested in Ortofons, which I feel tend toward a weirdly unnatural sound with headphones. I also went through 3 other turntables prior to my Tecnodec, including the infamous Technics SL1200.

So yeah, straight out of the headphone jack on the Nomad, and the sound was actually GOOD. I quite enjoyed it. Sure, I've heard better, but the quality from the convenience form factor of the Nomad was startling. The AH-D2000 are pretty finicky with sources in my experience, but the Nomad sounded great. To be fair, they most likely also had some serious power conditioning going on in there, which I've found to be very important. Now, the Nomad was easily blown away by the Traveler in the other room, but that is a much better platter, tonearm, plinth, etc., and was also hooked up to Lehman Black Cube phono preamp and the utterly insane $5600 Manley Labs Stingray II Integrated Amp. That combo made me want to weep. But yeah, comparing a $1k all-in-one to that is hardly fair.

Now, can you get better sound for the money? Sure, but you'll be cutting it close, and having to buy a number of different components. Say $300 for the turntable & cartridge, $200 for the phono preamp, $200 for the headphone amp, $50 for decent interconnects, certainly cheaper than $995 new but not much less than the $799 demo prices for the Nomad, and also a pain in the ass to move elsewhere. The Nomad can be unplugged from one spot, moved to another room, plugged back in, and you'd be spinning again in one trip. Try doing that with the component totals. Here's a video that shows just how flippin' easy it is to set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khsCC4g_aFA

The biggest disadvantage of the Nomad (and the Traveler) is the lack of upgrade options. You can upgrade the stylus on the Nomad, maybe the mat, but that's about it. Swapping the whole cartridge would be pointless. The 2m works nicely with this unit. If you want the end-all-be-all in sound quality, you're not going to get it at this price range, but this is about as good as you're likely to get if this is the limit of your potential investment. It's also insanely easy to use and set up. Were I not so determined to keep squeezing the potential out of my existing rig with upgrades, I would love one of these. I desperately wanted to win their giveaway so that I could listen to vinyl on my balcony! :p

Don't knock the Nomad. It's a wonderful machine as either an extra turntable for the wealthy or single unit for places with limited space or patience for the finicky nature of vinyl, and it performs very admirably for the price. It has its niche. Hopefully VPI can start sending reps to Head-Fi meets going forward so that headphone junkies can hear what the thing can do. :)

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #23 of 63
I did not, but the demo room was also a little noisy, with 6 Nomads set up for demo (or was it 8, I don't remember) and lots of people milling around talking. All the more reason to find a place to demo it with one's own headphones of choice.

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #24 of 63
Sorry ........... a little off topic. I am going to be adding a turntable to my small office setup which consists of a Marantz CD player, Darkvoice 337 Headphone amp and Sennheiser HD-600's. Would I be able to by-pass the Nomad headphone amp entirely and plug directly into the Darkvoice amp instead?

Or if that is not feasible, what would some of you fine gents recommend as far as a turntable set-up for no more then $1,500 to go along with my current set-up? I've been out of the hardware game for a few years is why I ask.

Thanks !!!

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #25 of 63
The Nomad's outputs are line level, since you can't bypass the build-in phono preamp, so yeah, running the output directly into an external headphone amp would probably work just fine. For the HD-600 you would probably need to use an external anyway. The built-in headphone amp isn't THAT powerful.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #26 of 63
  Great review!
I've known the Weisfelds for years, and I begged Mat - when he told me about the idea behind the Nomad - to leave the headphone amp to someone else to build!
Imagine if VPI got with Schiit or CEntrance to build the on-board headphone amp?? I've always rocked VPI turntables - and I was really concerned about the quality of the headphone amp.

So there was no killing the noise?
Not by lifting the ground or anything??

I gotta reach out to Mat and get one of these.
I think they should keep this design, but team up with an experienced headphone manufacturer!

The OP said it took around 80 percent on the volume control to reach a comfortable listening level with the Hifiman 400's..  hmmmm

seems to indicate the onboard amp is only good for lower impedance phones... didn't they at least at one time bundle Grados?  That would make sense.. easy to drive headphone.  One also wonders if this would 'cure' the background noise issue, too...

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #27 of 63
At least I was honest about my impressions, or would you rather have had me sugar coat it? We all have to start somewhere. There will be plenty more reviews in the coming weeks from more experienced listeners. In the meantime take your snide remarks and elitist attitude somewhere else.

As a proud owner of many VPI turntables over the years - from the TNT, to ScoutMaster, and now two Travelers - I think his impressions of the Nomad were spot on!
The Ortofon 2mRed (I think that's what he used here if I remember correctly) is actually a terrific cartridge, despite its $99 price-tag! I've used everything from Dynavector to ClearAudio and Denons - and I'm VERY happy w/ an Ortofon 2mBlue on my VPI Traveler in my office!

I say good job!!

I just got the Nomad and my only complaint thus far at its price-tag falls to the headphone amp as well - but I need to live with it longer for further impressions...
But I've heard it at a few shows now and got to hear it as a prototype - and am glad to see somebody new to vinyl tackle a review of this table - and that's who its aimed at.

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #29 of 63
  As a proud owner of many VPI turntables over the years - from the TNT, to ScoutMaster, and now two Travelers - I think his impressions of the Nomad were spot on!
The Ortofon 2mRed (I think that's what he used here if I remember correctly) is actually a terrific cartridge, despite its $99 price-tag! I've used everything from Dynavector to ClearAudio and Denons - and I'm VERY happy w/ an Ortofon 2mBlue on my VPI Traveler in my office!

I say good job!!

I just got the Nomad and my only complaint thus far at its price-tag falls to the headphone amp as well - but I need to live with it longer for further impressions...
But I've heard it at a few shows now and got to hear it as a prototype - and am glad to see somebody new to vinyl tackle a review of this table - and that's who its aimed at.

Total sidebar here, in the midst of my jealousy over that Traveler:

I would highly recommend checking out the Herbie's MedicinBalls in place of the standard balls for that Gingko platform. I had a Gingko Cloud 10 for a while, and while my turntable (Michell Tecnodec) was too damned light for the Cloud to work properly, IMO, the MedicinBalls were a pretty noticeable improvement over the standard ones.

And once again, regarding the complaints about the price point, I'm seeing b-stock units selling for about $800, and you have to remember that it's including EVERYTHING in one package. Still a bit high compared to a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, decent MM phono stage, and headphone amp, but good luck moving that mess from room to room. :p

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #30 of 63

Total sidebar here, in the midst of my jealousy over that Traveler:

I would highly recommend checking out the Herbie's MedicinBalls in place of the standard balls for that Gingko platform. I had a Gingko Cloud 10 for a while, and while my turntable (Michell Tecnodec) was too damned light for the Cloud to work properly, IMO, the MedicinBalls were a pretty noticeable improvement over the standard ones.

And once again, regarding the complaints about the price point, I'm seeing b-stock units selling for about $800, and you have to remember that it's including EVERYTHING in one package. Still a bit high compared to a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, decent MM phono stage, and headphone amp, but good luck moving that mess from room to room. :p

NICE!!

I'll definitely check those out!!!!

Thanks!

Yeah I love rockin my VPI rig through my headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back