Review: Virtual Dynamics Master Series cables
Feb 14, 2004 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
This particular write-up is long overdue, but being slow also gives me a chance to write about long-term effects. This review isn’t based on a week, or even a month, but rather about six months of using this cable as my primary cable in my main system. I’m including some things I’ve said before, for the sake of completeness.

The two main interconnects I had been trying previous to the Master Series were the Virtual Dynamics Nite series, and the Cardas Golden reference series. The system is a simple one: Creek CD53 connected by one pair of interconnects to the Singlepower Supra, driving a Sony MDR-R10 headphone. I use a Monster HTS-2000 power conditioner (I’ve got power issues here, so direct into the wall is not an option). With the R10, both the Cardas and the Nites exhibited significant virtues, but also significant flaws. The Nites were the most dynamic cables I’ve heard. They allow the R10 a full range of dynamic response, which is critical for that headphone. However, the image was slightly soft. The R10 is capable of finer focus than the Nites allowed. The Cardas allowed the R10 to maximize its ability to reproduce fine detail. However, the Cardas also seemed to restrict the dynamic range of the system. Those were my choices: dynamics or focus. IMO focus is much less important than the proper dynamics in the music, so the Nites were my choice, but I also knew that I was making a trade-off. While both cables were better than any others I had at the time, I heard something in each that the other could not provide. How to get it all?

Prior to the Master Series cables, I had tried a balanced version of the Virtual Dynamics Nites, for use with the EAR HP4 amp. This was not an improvement, IMO, and I had returned it for a single-ended cable. However, Rick had a prototype of a new cable that he wanted me to try. I put it in my system, and, after burn-in, started to hear a fusion of the dynamics I had heard from the Nite Series, and the focus I had heard out of the Golden Reference. I was hooked, and when Rick offered me a trial of the final version of the Master Series, I jumped at the chance.

Physically, the Virtual Dynamics Master Series interconnects and power cords look similar to the Nites. However, instead of a silvery jacket, the jacket is a dark, almost black, color. The other visible difference is the connector. The Master Series interconnect uses a Cardas silver RCA connector. The power cords use Hubbell and Marinco connectors. Cables are cryo-treated both before and after assembly. The cables are based around 9.5 gauge solid core copper wire. The hot and return of the interconnects are in a single jacket, but the power cord has the three conductors: hot, neutral and ground, each in its own separate jacket. These are stiff and heavy cables. You don’t want to use them with a pcdp (although I’ve got to admit I’ve tried it. Once. They look…err…interesting…with an RCA to mini adapter attached.) The good news is that once bent they hold their shape. So, to install, you need to look at the area where you want the cable to run, bend to the appropriate shape, and simply slip into place. If they’re not bent properly, they can exert enough force to lift light components, such as CD players. Once you learn how to bend them properly, it all becomes easy. And the next time some clown twists a balloon into weird shapes for you, think of what you can do with three conductors of stiff copper and smile
very_evil_smiley.gif

master0.jpg

master1.jpg

master2.jpg

One thing that I did notice with the Master Series Power Cord, and that has been present in all Virtual Dynamics power cords I’ve used, is a slightly loose fit of the IEC connector. In some ways, this is good. This is stiff cable. If there’s torque, I’d rather have the connector come out than drag a CD player with it. Still, I definitely prefer a secure connection that’s going to stay in place. I don’t get that feel with the Virtual Dynamics Power Cords.

The technology of the cables in the Virtual Dynamics line is based on the premise that mechanical vibration is a major cause of the distortion many cables cause in the sonics of a system. I will not pretend that I understand it. Rick Schultz, of Virtual Dynamics, doesn’t claim to understand it completely either. He’s a very devout man, who attributes the sound he is able to get from a cable to his faith. I think that he may be understating his own contributions.

“Dynamic Filtering” is the term used to describe the reduction of vibration in the cable. In the case of the Master Series cable, there is a material between the jacket and the conductor that acts to reduce any vibration. I’m told that the material used is a powered metal that acts as though it were a liquid. However, I’m not about to cut these cables open to find out.

Another technology used is termed “Speed of Light”. If you recall my review of the Nite Series, I noted that there were some rather powerful magnets in the cable terminations. This isn’t an accident. A signal flowing through the cable creates an electromagnetic field, or flux. Rather than allow the signal to create its own fields, the magnets are designed to create flux fields to guide the current flow.

Other technologies used are better known. ProtecX is a chemical treatment done to reduce oxidation at the connector. Cryogenic treatment alters the structure of the cable. This has been discussed previously, but the short version is that the actual molecular structure of the metals are altered, and those changes remain after the cable has been brought back to room temperature. The cables are also burnt it using a cable cooker prior to treatment. This is a good thing, as burn-in take a bit even after cooking the cable.

Do I really know why these technologies work? No. Do they work? Yes.

In talking about the sonics, I’ll repeat something I said in my initial impressions. The Master Series represents a huge increase in performance over the Nites. The difference is much more pronounced for the interconnects rather than the power cords. Taken together, switching from the Nites to the Master Series was the equivalent of a major amplifier upgrade. It’s that dramatic. My main system, which is wired with Master Series power cords and interconnects is where I go when I want to hear all of the music. In moving out to my other setups, I just don’t have the resolution that the Master Series gives me.

Right out of the box, the interconnects were bright. This lasted about 8-12 hours, and the brightness receded. I’m convinced that it only happened that quickly due to the cable cooking, as I’m more used to cables taking up to 200 hours before reaching their sound. The Masters got there much faster.

However, there was a glitch in the early going. I noticed that after I turned my system on, I heard an increasing brightness. This was different from the sound of the cables out of the box, as it took time to develop. While it was fine at the start, after about four hours the sound had increased in brightness, to the point that the frequency response was obviously being distorted. When I first heard this, I called Rick, to let him know that the cable was nice, but probably not for me. However, he had an answer for me: the brightness wasn’t the cable at all, but rather my source, the Creek CD53. The likely culprit goes back to vibration. What I was hearing was apparently a static buildup caused by vibration of the transformers in the Creek. The cure was to take off the Sorbothane feet I had been using, and switch to brass cones instead. Huh? It didn’t make a lot of sense to me, but I had a set of Mapleshade Surefeet at hand, and did the experiment. While the player was mounted on cones, I never heard the brightness again. I’m still not sure about why this happened. However, I am sure that it did happen. When somebody provides an explanation, then proposes a solution based on that explanation, and that solution works, his credibility goes way up with me. I’m starting to think that Rick is right, and that one of the flaws in a lot of equipment is simply failure to account for effects of mechanical vibration.

So what do these cables sound like? After six months, I’m still not sure. That is about the highest complement I can pay to a cable. They may transmit colorations produced by other parts of my system, but seem to add none of their own. Rather, they allow the rest of my system to do what it’s supposed to do, without producing a subtractive effect on sound quality. That’s not always good. In listening to the Master Series, I’ve become aware of a euphonic effect of some of the other cables I had used. They simply weren’t passing all of the information. So, system limitations that affected the sound were not as noticeable. The increased resolution of the Master Series won’t let a system get away with that. If you’ve got a weak link anywhere, you’re going to hear it. Where there is a weak link, you may think it’s the cable until you identify the real culprit. These cables will not cover up a flawed system.

In switching from other cables to the Master Series, the effects can be very pronounced. This cable is as dynamic as the music driving the amp. This is utterly critical using the Sony R10. The importance of the cable with this headphone simply cannot be overstated. The R10 has a relatively lean bass response compared to many headphones. For it to have proper impact, and for bass to sound realistic, the source must be able to produce it, and the cabling must allow it to pass through fully. The Nites were the first cable I had heard that would allow the R10 to produce the dynamics of which it is capable. The Master Series retained the dynamics, but added a sense of focus and precision that I had previously only heard with the Cardas. For the Sony R10, this is heaven. I had actually done via cabling what I had been trying to do via different amps and rolling tubes. I finally feel that I’m on the road to hearing what the R10 can do. I won’t pretend I’m all the way there yet. A major source upgrade may be needed (although I should do a write-up on the Creek CD53 at some point. It’s going to take a lot of money to get a major improvement over that player, particularly now that I’ve got it set up properly). But with the Master Series cables, I’m a lot closer to where I want to be.

IC or PC? IMO, the major contributor to the change in sound over the Nites is the interconnect. The difference here is not subtle. I’ve heard smaller changes replacing an amp. The whole image seems to come into focus with the Master interconnect in place. That focus allows an entirely new level of detail to open up. The Master IC is great at allowing the simultaneous presentation of quiet and loud sounds. Everything gets through, and nothing is confused. Pick what you want to listen to. If the rest of the system can handle it, the Master will pass it on. Of all the cables I’ve heard so far, this one will not become a limiting factor on a system. I use the Bogdan Silver Spirit Reference in my second system. In comparison to the Master Series, the BSSR is a relatively thin sounding cable. I happen to like the BSSR, and it’s unfair to compare it to one costing about five or six times the price. MIT MI-330 Series 2+ aren’t even comparable (although they come into their own in different setups). DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 is far too grainy to compare to the Master Series. I’ve tried some other good cables, but nothing has come close to what I’m hearing with the Master Series.

The contribution of the power cords is less clear. In fact, I was hoping to save myself a lot of money by not being able to hear a difference between the Nite and Master PC’s. And, to tell the truth, at first I didn’t. Phew. Money saved. Not. The differences turn up long-term. Either of these cables cannot be simply placed into a system and sound its best. Remember those magnets? It takes a while for the flux fields to settle down, apparently. Once they do, the Master Series PC’s show up as a fuller midrange, and slightly more articulate bass. There is a greater sense of depth, even in a headphone setup (these things have got to be scary in a speaker setup. I’m going to have to try that sometime). Ultimately, I had to decide whether that last bit of fullness in the mids was worth the cost of the upgrades. In the end, once I heard what my system could do, I simply couldn’t walk away from that last bit of midrange goodness. If I had simply heard the Master interconnects with the Nite Power Cords, I would have been very happy with that combination (and can highly recommend it for someone who can’t swing the cost of the full Master Series. Used Nite power cords are going for a fraction of their worth these days). However, once I heard the Master IC and PC’s together, there was no going back. I’d always be conscious of missing that last bit of body.

By their nature, a good cable should not care what kind of music is being played. For that matter, neither should a good system, IMO. Anything from a cappella vocals to driving blues to massive feedback should simply be reported. I could reel off a list of albums I’ve played and how they sound, but why? It doesn’t matter. Want to rock? Want to be seduced? Want to be overpowered? Pick your music and have fun. These cables don’t constrain your choices. At least so far, any limitations I’ve run across have been traceable to other components in my system, and so far correctable.

A major limitation to this review is that I simply haven’t heard enough of the competition at this price range. I’d love to say this is the greatest cable ever, but without hearing more of the other cables out there, I’d be wildly overstating things. But maybe not. I can definitely say that to my ears, in my system, I’m having a hard time imagining a better cable. In the interconnects particularly, I could hear the limitations of both the Nites and the Golden Reference. Those limitations are now gone. I can say that this is the best cabling that I have heard in my system. I wound up voting with my wallet. It would have been wrong to let my system go backwards after hearing these.

IMO, these cables should be on the short list of anyone looking for the best cabling possible for their system, cost no object.

Feb 14, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 25
Wow! Amazing review Hirsch--kinda makes me glad I'm still a broke undergrad and am unable to seriously consider an upgrade like this. To hear that the upgrade you heard going from Nites to these was more apparant than some amp changes is mind-boggling and I hope one day I'll get to hear these at a meet.

Thanks a lot for a great read!

Feb 14, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

The Master Series represents a huge increase in performance over the Nites. The difference is much more pronounced for the interconnects rather than the power cords. Taken together, switching from the Nites to the Master Series was the equivalent of a major amplifier upgrade. It’s that dramatic. My main system, which is wired with Master Series power cords and interconnects is where I go when I want to hear all of the music.

What a buzz kill..........my Nite AC cords are obsolete now.
frown.gif

The list price on VD Master IC & AC cord will take your breath away.......now that VD has gone to dealer network not sure kind of final price you would have to actually pay.........but it is way more than I can rationize for my system.

So Hirsch's fine review is the closest I will get to these cables.

Feb 14, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 25
Excellent review. I will be upgrading to the master series shortly.

[edit: for power cables atleast.]

Feb 14, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 25
Heh, I find myself in an equal situation as you were, just lower down the price pole. My VD reference provide a far more dynamic, balanced and simply more enjoyable performance than any other cable I've tried (by far). However, other cables I've tried that can give me more detail, lose out on dynamics. Unfortunately since a single IC of this series could cost more than my whole system, the chances of me picking one of these up is next to nothing
biggrin.gif

Has anyone tried the new David series? Maybe the increased focus now trickles down to cheaper cables?
biggrin.gif

I'm burning in some of Eric's Nitrogen ICs as we speak. Out of the box, I can't say these best my VD Reference in anything but detail (these cables are incredibly detailed! it's a tough choice between them) - but I'm hoping the dynamics kick in with some good burnin.

-dd3mon

Feb 15, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 25
Hirsch, once again my ears will thank you but not before my wallet curses you! This was my favorite part of your review:

"By their nature, a good cable should not care what kind of music is being played... I could reel off a list of albums I’ve played and how they sound, but why? It doesn’t matter. Want to rock? Want to be seduced? Want to be overpowered? Pick your music and have fun. These cables don’t constrain your choices."

So true. Many times we get carried away trying to describe the microscopic details of our listening experiences and forget our gut level reactions like, "Yup, these are the best I've ever heard... no doubt about it."

Thanks also for your observations of the Master Series cables relative to the Nite cables in an R10-based system.

Feb 15, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 25
Hircsch, Great review. Thanks. Question. Okay, so the Sony MDR 10 has a great upside depending on what you pair it with. Do you think these cables would have the same kind of effect on a headphone that is not so dependent on what is paired with it? Is everything just more noticeable because of the nature of the R 10s?

Feb 15, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
Hircsch, Great review. Thanks. Question. Okay, so the Sony MDR 10 has a great upside depending on what you pair it with. Do you think these cables would have the same kind of effect on a headphone that is not so dependent on what is paired with it? Is everything just more noticeable because of the nature of the R 10s?

I also have a prototype of the Master IC that I use in other systems. It's important to note that, because these comments do not necessarily apply to the final version I reviewed. which has some major design changes.

I tried the prototype between a Sony NS-500V and Melos SHA-1...and didn't particularly like it. Redbook just sounded sluggish through HP-1. I replaced the prototype with a BSSR, and the HP-1 is sounding much better to me. What I don't know is whether the BSSR is masking the flaws in the NS-500V or if there was some sort of cable mismatch going on. I then took the prototype Master, and inserted it between my source and Stax SRM-007t. The SR-404 absolutely loved the change, and went to a level of detail I hadn't heard from it before. OTOH, the HE 60, connected to the same amp and running simultaneously, showed a much smaller effect of the cable change (positive, but not as dramatic). Hmmmph. I'm still puzzling that one out. My current hypothesis is that cabling cannot be considered as an isolated link in the system. My suspicion is that all cabling in a system, from interconnects to power cords to speaker cables interact with the equipment and with each other to affect the final sound. Bear in mind that a headphone cable also applies here (it is, after all, the speaker cable).

When you get the combination right, it's audible, sometimes in a very big way.

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 25
First off, great review Hirsch.

Second of all I want to comment on several things from my experience with the Nite series of cables.

I think what makes the Virtual Dynamic cables so popular here is that they are "impressive" cables. They have a very high wow factor. In a sense they are very dynamic cables in that they are very punchy. This punchiness is like certain videophile's preference for a sharper image or brighter image or Valhalla fans' love of the Valhallas' pinpoint focus.

But to my ears and head the Nites became a bit fatiguing to listen to and a bit unnatural. I think the perfect examples to describe this are the various mechanical vibration/isolation devices on the market. There are many out there who think that in the process of draining out vibrations and increasing resolution many of these devices also drain away some of the natural tonal colors that are in the music. The wow factor however is often immediate much like a brighter, punchier video image will almost always be more impressive but upon closer inspection it might not be the most natural.

On old classical recordings (Bruno Walter SACDs for example) the Nites did a good job of suppressing the noice. But in stripping away the noice it also stripped away some instrumental colors and made the music sound dead.

On better recordings, amplifed electric instruments were awesome. With the Nites, electric instruments always sound clean and dynamic. I like it. But on acoustic instruments such as upright bass as well as strings and woodwind, the sound was too clean. The air surrounding the instruments were lost. The Nites had a tendency of bringing out the soloist. In a sense this is not unlike solid state vs tubes where the VD cables were definitely solid state in nature. There was a hardness to the sound although it was very clean and neutral with perhaps an overemphasis of bass.

With that said, I think VD cables are good cables but they like all other cables have a sonic signature to them. Besides system synergy it's also important that you enjoy what the cables do to your system. The VD cables however never fail to get noticed. Whether you like them or not is another case but they definitely do something to your system good or bad.

Now are the master cables more of the same?

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Howie

Now are the master cables more of the same?

I don't think so. I found the Nites to have wonderful dynamics and tonality, but also a certain lack of coherence. It was always difficult for me to localize the image. However, other cables I tried seemed to be choking the dynamics out of recordings, and the Nites were the compromise that worked best for me. The Master takes the whole sound to a different level. They bring a coherence to the table that the Nites couldn't reach. The dynamics are still there, but there is now a sense of pinpoint accuracy and air that the Nites never achieved.

How to describe this? Hmmm...when I turn on my amp and the tubes are cold, it will still play music. I can hear all the sounds, and they're pretty good. However, as the amp gets warm, it's as though the musicians are stepping up and taking control of their instruments. You can almost hear the life coming into the music as everything hits its stride, until the music is breathing and organic. At that point, it's useless to try and describe how the sytem sounds. All you can do is let the music carry you wherever it's going.

I'm not sure that made any sense, but I'm trying to describe something I don't really have words for. The Master Series is still "impressive" in that it is a dynamic cable that won't choke the music. But it has added a sense of focus that was missing from the Nite. It also adds a much increased sense of fine detail (and air). The interconnects in particular are much more than an incremental improvement over the Nite. The difference in reproducing music caught me by surprise. In that, it's an entirely different, and better, cable.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 25
Thought I would add my thoughts on the vd master interconnects:

-bass is very good, well defined, accurate tone, realistic fullness, tight and detailed (everything bass should be)
-the overal tonal balance is close to neutral with a slight warmth in the midrange (this midrange coluration is less than in other copper ic's I have heard)
-the strength of this cable is in its ability to make any recording sound full and inviting
-the highs are smooth but are a bit dark and not airy enough for my taste (basically nothing special)
-soundstage is large, imaging, detail and speed are all good

It is a nice cable but I think its too much to spend on for a headphone rig.

Biggie.

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 25
Wonder if Hirsch has taken the ultimate step to newest VD Revelation cable line, he he.

To answer my own question..........looking at Hirsch's public profile shows that he has indeed gone to VD Revelation. Perhaps it is time to update this thread with his take on newest VD top of the line cables.

Jan 10, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
To answer my own question..........looking at Hirsch's public profile shows that he has indeed gone to VD Revelation. Perhaps it is time to update this thread with his take on newest VD top of the line cables.

Yep, I've got a balanced pair of the Revelation cables, and wish I could afford another. There's also an upgraded version, the Revelation Signature. There's also more in development. Rick had been designing cables with a certain attention to ergonomics. Even though his cables are very stiff, it's still possible to bend them into place. However, he's now convinced that people will buy the cables he really wants to make, which involve some seriously thick gauges of copper. So you can look for a no-holds-barred Virtual Dynamics cable to appear soon. It's going to make the current models look positively flexible in comparison. It's going to be way beyond my means, but my guess is that it will be great.

The Revelation, which I do have, is hard to describe, particularly after heaping praise on the Master Series. I can only approach it indirectly, I think. It sounds like the Master Series, but more of it. Dynamics, clarity, perfect tonality are all there. I wish I could say that the upgrade isn't worth it, because my wallet is in extreme pain. However, at least to my ears, every other interconnect I've tried pales in comparison. I can try and fill paragraphs with effusive praise, but you get the idea. It's the best interconnect I've ever heard. The Revelation Series cable that I have is balanced, while my Master Series cables are single-ended, but I will be getting a balanced Master Series cable very soon, which will make it easier to get a more direct comparison of the two.

A friend of mine is wiring a complete speaker rig with the Revelation Signatures. This is a scary amount of money. A headphone rig is nice, in that there is simply much less cabling to deal with.

The Virtual Dynamics cables have gotten so good that I've thought about asking Rick about a cable for the Qualia 010. However, even the thought of a Virtual Dynamics headphone cable has me ROTFL. A dual run of Revelation Series would not make moving around very easy...OTOH it could work if the headphone listener sat perfectly still...
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back