REVIEW: Violectric V181 balanced headphone amp
Apr 24, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #61 of 102

Quote:
I plugged in the LCD's today.  I won't say what the source was.  I'm awaiting my DAC-2 in a week or so and selling my gold fillings for a Violectric of which one I am not certain yet but perhaps the 200.      The LCD's remind me of my most favorite speaker the Martin Logan CLLS II's driven with Krell amps.  For me it's like wearing a pair of Martin Logan CLS II's on my head.  They are a wonderful experience. So natural and smooth and effortless. Just amazing.  I've never really had headphones before and frankly I do not like headphones.  But the LCD's havecompletely changed my mind. They are so engaging, so seductive.  They make me completely forget I'm wearing headphones.  So nuanced and natural. They have a beautiful presentation of low level detail and their dynamics are so lifelike.  I cannot wait to give them the DAC and Amp they deserve.  

Great description!

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #62 of 102

Quote:
I plugged in the LCD's today.  I won't say what the source was.  I'm awaiting my DAC-2 in a week or so and selling my gold fillings for a Violectric of which one I am not certain yet but perhaps the 200.      The LCD's remind me of my most favorite speaker the Martin Logan CLLS II's driven with Krell amps.  For me it's like wearing a pair of Martin Logan CLS II's on my head.  They are a wonderful experience. So natural and smooth and effortless. Just amazing.  I've never really had headphones before and frankly I do not like headphones.  But the LCD's havecompletely changed my mind. They are so engaging, so seductive.  They make me completely forget I'm wearing headphones.  So nuanced and natural. They have a beautiful presentation of low level detail and their dynamics are so lifelike.  I cannot wait to give them the DAC and Amp they deserve.  

Glad you like it! Wish I had money for an LCD 2...would probably have to sell my computer to get it...and I don't really want to sell my computer...

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #63 of 102

Quote:
Glad you like it! Wish I had money for an LCD 2...would probably have to sell my computer to get it...and I don't really want to sell my computer...

Actually I sold off my Krell amp, my Classe Pre Amp, my Theta Ds Pre Gen III, my Theta Data transport, some interconnects, a SONY 707 ES CD/Transport, a pair of high end speakers, a set of tri wired Cardas speaker cables, a Magnum Dynalab tuner and an RF amp.  All to buy my first and probably last high end headphone rig.  I've got a Wyred4sound DAC-2 coming.  I'm going for one of the Violectrics and perhaps a Lry and an aftermarket cable.   No way I'd sell my computer rig though. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #65 of 102
Apr 30, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #66 of 102
untill i decide to sell or not to sell the mercedes spare wheel  i did  a " crazy " experiment (that I had already commented to Fried Riem) I just rewire my T1
to a pair of two XLR female connectors (right anf left channels) and connected " directely" to the output of my v800 dac
the volume was controlled by using the front panel "pseudo potentiometer"  that operates in the digital domain cutting bits
I was very interesed to taste myself the ballanced sound
the sounding results were really exiting  and give my ear with natural sounds
no adding thd no degrading s/n no adding noise  no degrading dynamic range and for damping (related to the 600 ohm t1) more than 600
all the spectrum was clearly presented
many persons that were againts the use of the digital potentiometer I can assure to all that i did not feel any slight degradation of sound changing the setting
many people said that cutting bits with that digital pot cut the music but what the real thing that it is wrong  If i did not known that the pot was working in the
digital domain for me was like a"normal alps pot"  inside the dac same behave
this experiment will work only with 600 ohm headphone impedance because of the limited current supply of the driver ,for the T1 is ok and the dac was enoght
powerfull to drive them
the setting og the pot was between 12 and 14  sometimes even less beacuse of a specific recording
as for the music many female jazz vocalist 1st track of mike oldfield tubular spheres keiko matsui last album (the rock) and many exeptional sountracks
(how to train your dragon, inception ,pimk panther and many more)
Fried Reim  told me that I was the first person that did such a direct connection dac-heaphones  I know that the limited drive will give serious limitations
to those persons that like high loudness but for myself it is not a problem
anyway the sensation of hearing music in a ballanced  "system"  had its positives  virtudes

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #68 of 102
there is a close similarity beween Mercedez  and Violectric equimpment they will last for life and give you pleanty of enjoyement
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #69 of 102
Baritone: That's interesting about driving the T1 directly from your V800. I remember people doing similar back in the day with the XLR outputs on the Lavry DA10 using recabled HD600 or HD650. That was considered by some to be absolute high end back then, about as good as you can get. Never got around to trying it myself.

Sounds like maybe you don't need an amp after all. At least not for those headphones.

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #70 of 102

Quote:
Baritone: That's interesting about driving the T1 directly from your V800. I remember people doing similar back in the day with the XLR outputs on the Lavry DA10 using recabled HD600 or HD650. That was considered by some to be absolute high end back then, about as good as you can get. Never got around to trying it myself.

Sounds like maybe you don't need an amp after all. At least not for those headphones.

but I will limited in the future tolisten to other kind of headphones insteed of the T1

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #72 of 102
Here's pictures from my review that is coming up:

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #73 of 102
hi, i need some help, i'm into buying my first head amp

i've my hd650 into a hk970 (NJM4560L ( SIP8 ) http://semicon.njr.co.jp/eng/PDF/NJM4560_E.pdf based phones amp section) with a hd970 as source (both harman kardon brand), i was fine with that until paired with the T1, which really struggles to be driven properly, now...   

the way i'm getting it from the reviews the Violectric V181 is good as an all-around (in balanced mode) amp that will do great with my current T1, and a future planar mag lcd3 or he-6, so question...

does the xlr balanced output work withe the rca unbalanced inputs? do you get the max balanced specified voltage and power from the xlr balanced output even if using the rca unbalanced inputs?

planing to couple it with my hd970 as source/dac

EDIT:

what i'm asking is, is it required to have the balanced xlr inputs delivering the signal to achive the maximum voltage and power specified for the xlr output? or is it the same, in terms of voltage and power output levels for the xlr balanced out, if i'm using the rca unbalanced input or the xlr balanced input to deliver the the signal to the amp?

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #74 of 102
Absolutely. You can definitely tell the difference between SE output on either side vs. the balanced output using RCA unbalanced in. More power for sure.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #75 of 102
Here's my take on the V200 and V181.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/violectric-hpa-v200/reviews/10370
http://www.head-fi.org/products/violectric-hpa-v181/reviews/10371

(Same review contents, different ratings)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back