Review: Unamped Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro-80 + MacBook Pro + Audio Hijack Pro (software) = Win
Mar 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

johnzie

New Head-Fier
First off, I'm not saying this is the best headphone setup out there.  I'm fairly new at this and, more or less, giving my impression + asking for your opinion on the setup.

*Note: I don't have an amp, yet, so I was looking for alternatives until I got one...and I feel like I've found something good.

*Note2: Simply put, I'm a bit of a raver.  Not the all-over neon glow bracelet type, but I've attended these things since the late 90's where you literally could sit inside the speakers (ya, they had big scoops on them and the security let you do that back then!)...so I've become conditioned to loving bass.

*Note3: I'm reviewing this based on music like Deadmau5 - Professional Griefers/Cthulu Sleeps, Skrillex - Bangarang/Summit, Wolfgang Gartner - The Way It Was, a bunch of Feed Me songs, etc.

I recently started looking around for bass heavy headphones and I found mention of the DT770 Pro80 in almost every one of them.  So, a couple nights ago, I bought it and have been doing the burn in thing ever since.  Initially, however, I wasn't 100% in love...Instead, I was trying to convince myself that I loved it.

Opened the package and plugged it into my phone (T-Mobile G2x) and it couldn't drive the cans much at all.  Then I switched it over to my Toshiba laptop - still low volume.  Plugged it into my external sound card and I got some listenable volume out of it.  After a while of that, I took it to my MBP and, lo and behold, I was finally able to take it to volumes above comfort level.

I was planning on burning in for 100 hours here and giving it a good listen, but I was just too curious and had to listen in during the burn in.  Switched from the burn-in playlist to some electro (my main squeeze).  Although it sounded pretty good, the bass was somewhat head-vibrating...nothing crazy.

Sure, it sounded pretty clean, but I was expecting to be blown away.  Not so much the case here.

I didn't think a bunch of burn-in would all of a suddenly make the bass explode...just subtle enhancements in sound.  Perhaps this thing just really needs an amp.  But then again, maybe I can find some way to mess with the MBP EQ.

During my research, I came across Audio Hijack Pro and decided to give it a shot.  If you're unfamiliar, you can set it to "hijack" your programs and the audio that is being generated from it.  It took me a little time to figure it out.  And ultimately, I got it to add effects to the sound coming from Firefox (youtube) in real time.

After messing with some of the effects, I first messed with the "Bass And Treble" effect and got a tiny bit of bass and treble boost from it.  It was a little better and made me have smidge less of buyer's remorse.  Poked around some more and found an effect called "AUFilter" (found in the effects tab under AudioUnit Effect > Apple > AUFilter).  Took the lows up (and slightly reduced the highs) on that filter effect...BOOOOOM!

All I can say is OMG.  I'm listening to it right now and find myself with ZERO buyer's remorse.  It sounds so amazing to me...to the point that I've spent the last 4 hours listening and re-listening to my favorite songs with this setup.

So, instead of recommending this setup like I'm a veteran audiophile, I'm asking if any of you have tried this - if not (and if curious), then perhaps try it and give me your impressions?  I got the full version of the software, but I believe there is a free demo option.

Here I was contemplating returning these headphones, but not anymore.  No way.  I feel like I have subwoofers on my ears.  I also feel like I'm at a rave right now.  Raving in my bedroom at 11am, baby!

Anyways, my excitement of this discovery has got me posting this review.  That's all for now.  Thanks for reading!

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 2
Other things that sound amazing now:

UKF Drum & Bass 2010 (Album Megamix) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ0nTeNQdJ8

&

Beardyman - Dolbyman (Stereo version with option to listen to Surround Sound ver. - Even though it seems like a Dolby commercial, it is Awesome...all beatboxed by Beardyman himself in studio.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back