Review: UM (Unique Melody) SE530 6-Driver Custom Mod (SE530X6)
May 26, 2010 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

JiPod

100+ Head-Fier
<Teaser 05-27-10>
Post office informed me that they were delivered today.

<Prelude Amended: 05-29-10>
A little background.  Without going into details, I have always enjoyed listening to my music in the comfort of my home.  I am very satistfied with my home theater, but due to personal and professional reasons developed a need for a portable setup-a journey starting with earbuds, universal IEMs, "cans", and now customs.

What I've learned is that, put aside SQ, each mode of sonic production is different.  Simply put, the less air and "ear" between the sound source and your eardrum will result in a different sonic experience.  What customs do provide, in comparison to the rest, is a more intimate and personal listening experience.  Having said that, in my review I will make occasional reference to the Shure SE530, but will not conduct a UM SE530 6-Driver "Custom" Mod vs Shure SE530 or a before/after comparison.  If you are looking for a comparison (I.e. vs something else) or manufacturer (Unique Melody) review, look elsewhere.

Give me approximately a week to gather my observations.

<Q & A Added: 05-28-10>
Q. Why the hell did you opt for a UM SE530 6-Driver Custom Mod?
A. I was happy with the SQ of my Shure SE530.  Being a "weak" human being, the more I listened, the more I wanted.  I wanted extended highs with more detail and more low "umph"-all this while preserving the lush mids of the Shure SE530.

Q. Why UM?
A. After extensive research and at the time, rather than opting for a JH13, JH16, UE18, etc. and having to deal with the possibility of a completely different SQ, UM was my only choice.

<Test Apparatus Added: 05-28-10>
Data: Various Genre AAC 320 CBR/ALAC & MP3 320 CBR/WAV
Source: HP out of iPod Touch 3G & Sony NW-X1060
Earphone: UM SE530 6-Driver Custom Mod
"Reference": Shure SE530
Other: MY Ears

<Initial Impressions Added: 06-04-10>
UM refers to the SE530 6-Driver Custom Mod as SE530X6; I will do the same.

I never really believed in "burn-in" until the SE530X6.  After over 144 hours "burn-in" and 16 hours listening, the SE530X6 has REALLY opened up.  Ofcourse this could simply be my ears adjusting.

My initial impressions VERY simply put, slightly pronounced SE530 mids and monitor-like highs/lows.

I know I indicated a posting date of June 5 for my review, but considering the obvious (and unexpected) changes in sound quality with "burn-in" and to be fair with any final conclusions, I will require more time.

May 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 26
<Reserved>

May 26, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 26
"Patience is a virtue."

Okay okay, I'll admit the wait was gruelling considering that I parted with my SE530s on March 19.

Quote:
What a tease!

May 27, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 26
Hope the fit is okay. 
ph34r.gif
 Let us know how they perform. 

May 27, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
Hope the fit is okay. 
ph34r.gif
 Let us know how they perform. 

The fit...  PERFECT.  I get an incredible seal.  It only requires 2 to 3 minutes to adjust, and then it almost feels like there's nothing there.

Give me a week, and I'll post my review.

Allow me to introduce "Silent" and "Loud".

May 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
im confused, so are both pairs of those UM SE530 6-Driver "Customs" ?

In an effort to resolve any confusion, YES.

May 28, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Wow, thanks for taking the time to write out this review. Much appreciated.

Don't thank me yet.  I may not have the "answers" to everyone's questions and/or expectations, if any.

May 28, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
Did you have to supply the armatures..??

The two mids per channel are my original SE530 dual woofers, the two highs and two lows per channel are UM prescribed.

May 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
So JiPod, when is your review going to be up? Do those sound much better than the Shure Se530? How much did you pay for the mod?

I was tentatively thinking 6/3, but UM has advised that a burn-in period (8 hours/day for a week) is required.  I have accelarated the process by attaching my customs to a source for non-interrupted 24-hour playback and will conduct my final assessment between 6/3 and 6/4.  My review should be posted on 6/5.  Some will argue regarding the necessity of burn-in, but I would just like to make sure.

Regarding your question, "Do those sound much better than the Shure SE530?", allow me to address this question in my review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back