[Review] UM Merlin, FS MG6Pro, AKG K3003
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #196 of 243
Can't wait for that AS-2/334 shoot out Shane.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #198 of 243
Guys, sorry for asking here, but I'm looking for something like the Merlins (sound sig), but not custom. Is there anything you could recommend?

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #199 of 243
Guys, sorry for asking here, but I'm looking for something like the Merlins (sound sig), but not custom. Is there anything you could recommend?

I'd seriously consider the ASG-2. It uses a similar BA/dynamic set up and they are going to have a special presale very soon to commemorate their launch

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #202 of 243
I'm sure there will be more reviews soon, as other buyers start to receive theirs in the coming weeks. I was anticipating receiving mine this week but looks like there has been a minor delay.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #204 of 243
Quote:

“Both are mid centric with sweet, intimate and liquid vocals.  Due to the RE262 not having as much of a bass presence, vocals are not quite as fleshed out as the Merlin but make them appear just a tad sweeter and closer.  Overall the Merlin produces better clarity and detail in the vocals providing for an extremely intimate performance.”

The Merlin, like the RE262, excels at giving you the finer nuances of vocal performances: pursing of the lips, intakes of breath, throat inflections and raw emotion.

Great reviews, much appreciated!

Just chiming in re the RE's, I'm on my second pair of RE262's. The first were 2010 or '11, accurately fitting the usual description of having weak bass. My current pair were received some six or so months ago. I had read somewhere about 'newer' RE262's having better bass. And indeed, they do. Quite signifcantly more fleshed over the bass frequencies, while retaining all the positives of the 'earlier' 262's.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #205 of 243
Great reviews, much appreciated!

Just chiming in re the RE's, I'm on my second pair of RE262's. The first were 2010 or '11, accurately fitting the usual description of having weak bass. My current pair were received some six or so months ago. I had read somewhere about 'newer' RE262's having better bass. And indeed, they do. Quite signifcantly more fleshed over the bass frequencies, while retaining all the positives of the 'earlier' 262's.

Nice to hear. Too bad its been discontinued. The RE262 was my favorite Hifiman.

I recently picked up a Sony 7550, which is their monitor version of the EX series. I'd go so far as to call it a technical upgrade to the RE262. I've especially enjoyed it on the new Continental V3 tube amp.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #206 of 243
Thanks for the comprehensive review, in particular the comparison between the mg6pro and the Merlins. I'm trying to decide between these two phones (as well as the JH16) and am looking for some help. Clearly, the OP does not favor the mg6pro over the Merlins, although I have read many positive reviews of them. As someone who loves Atrios, I initially expected that the mg6pro would be the obvious best choice of CIEM for me but the negative review presented here worries me. If I'm an Atrios fan, should the Merlin be a good choice for me, better than the mg6pro?

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #207 of 243
Hi Bazirker. I too like the atrios (mg7) and I don't find the mg6pro to be very far off from the atrio house sound. Unfortunately, I also don't find them to be anywhere near worth an $800 price jump.

In the atrio, I experience a little graininess in the upper midrange to lower treble but nothing really bothersome and I quite enjoyed their non-fatiguing presentation for the most part.  I expected the mg6pro to improve in these areas and present itself with a smoother, more refined signature in this area and overall.  Instead I found the mg6pro to be worse in this area, being peakier, harsher and echoey.  Not what I expected from an expensive stage monitor.

The Merlin, while being another bass oriented signature, does have a much different presentation.  It's not U shaped like the atrio and has a nice midcentric, albeit laid back, emphasis for vocals and guitars. It's treble, while crisp and airy sounding, does take a backseat to the rest of the spectrum.  While having impressive taught sub bass, the atrio and mg6pro both do have more quantity of bass overall, with the m6pro having the most bass I've ever heard in an IEM.  In fact, I needed to EQ it down, but I'm sure it's a bass lovers delight!

The most important thing I'd like for readers to take away is the knowledge that most dynamic driver based CIEM's cannot be reshelled for second hand owners.  The UM Merlin is one of the only exceptions I know of.  UM will reshell it for second hand owners.  The reason the mg6pro and other dynamic based CIEM's cannot be reshelled for other owners, is that the dynamic driver is typically destroyed upon removal, due to the adhesives used.  If FS or Aurisonics, etc have to reshell for warranty issue, they always replace the driver.

Good luck in your quest! Oh and it might be of interest to you that UM is coming out with a triple dynamic driver CIEM!  My understanding is that it's price point will be less than the Miracle and possibly less than the Merlin:
http://www.custom-iem.com/um-triple-dynamic-ciem-coming-soon-p-671.html

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #209 of 243
I haven't seen any updates on the UM 3 dynamic driver announcement. And unfortunatley I've never heard the Miracle, so I'm unable to share any advice there. Maybe there will be another head-fier that's heard both that can chime in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back