REVIEW: Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro & Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-Soft
Jun 21, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #61 of 271
Great review Lindrone and a great gift to the Head-fi community
smily_headphones1.gif

The Ue5c's may be as you describe/surmise...but don't use utdeep's experience as the final word yet. His 5c's were apparently not tuned to his tastes...and an offer had been extended to modify them to his liking.

Your observations on the UE third driver seems promising to me for the UE5c (which has two like the sensa). From the frequency chart UE provides, it seems it's presentation may make up for some of the slightly "negative characteristics" of the UE10pro.

This however, is totally conjecture on my part as I don't have UE5c's yet....and will probably never hear the UE10pros in my lifetime.

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #62 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I can't believe I read the whole thing!!!!!!!
eek.gif
I have exactly 140% no interest in either of these products, but still thought this was one of the best audio reviews I have read. You did a great job. Thank you.
icon10.gif

I feel the same way, here, please mods move this to the top!!!!!

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #63 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
[size=medium]I want to know something important
[/size]

[size=small]I am positive that if you should want to sell your custom moulded headphones, you can attempt to break open the moulding and salvage the drivers inside. Ship these to the buyer who will ship them to UE or Sensa along with their ear canal impressions. UE or Sensa will just have to replace the salvaged drivers into a new mould.

Sounds fairly easy - anybody want to ask UE/Sensa this question??
confused.gif
[/size]

Why not asking if they could do the whole job? Sending the new impressions to them, of course, if you do it by yourself you take the chance of breaking the drviers or part of them, and they know what to do better....

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #64 of 271
Lindrone, great review (as expectred). I'm glad you went ahead and got this thing done and did not waver in the aftermath of the crapslinging in the other thread. Your review set that last 1% of my mind at ease as it concerned my purchase of the Prophonics -- I got an IEM that I love and can wear forever and managed to save some $$$ in the process (an added bonus). Maybe I could roll that $250 savings (UE10 vs. 2X-S) into a UE5c purchase and answer the next pressing question....

NOT!

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #65 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
When can I send you a check?

I wont ask you when I will receive the headphones because they have already been in my hands once before and they ran over to me real fast...probably didn't love the TLC they were getting in your hands
very_evil_smiley.gif

OMG - Sovkiller will LHFAO (H - His) when he hears that I want a CD-3000
tongue.gif

Wise man..LOL...
I was more interested in reading lindrone's review that your posts honestly, but reading this red one, make me read the one before, and once you mention me.....

Well, I actually I don't mind if you get them or not, or like them or not, I'm pretty satisfied with my two pairs, to care much about if others like it or not, but if you like it, better....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

But one thing is sure, regardless of the preference and how many people like them or not, they are nice headphones, and everyone in this forum looking for a good sound at least should try them (as the rest of the high end ones...) if they like them later or not, is up to the preference, but at least try them first.....
rolleyes.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #66 of 271
I have a feeling that the UE5c and the UE10s are pretty different.
Check out the reviews on iPodlounge and you'll see that the review said there was a noticeable increase in sound quality from the UE5c to the UE10 using an iPod as a source. His ratings reflect this... the UE5c gets a "Happy" because it's expensive but the UE10s (which are $350 more!) get an "Excited" which is their highest rating!
I'll have the UE10s soon, but that reviewer is pretty much the only one who's tried both canalphones (HRA as well, I guess). I would describe the UE5c as muddy (even if you take into account that it wasn't tuned for my preferences deal), much like an ety-lover would describe the Shure E5.
I would definately not describe the UE5c as punchy, which is a term Lindrone uses for the UE10s and can be "felt" in Welly's review as well.

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #67 of 271
Random Person,

Yes, Jerry believes that a flat frequency response without the presence of a mid frequency hump at 2-3kHz is the best for listening to matered recordings. In other words, it is the recommended product to listen to music with a personal audio player such as an iPod. I agree with him.

Jerry believes that the forward mids is helpful to vocalists among other performers. Usually the whole band, including the monitoring engineer, uses the same IEM make and model to insure that everybody is listening to the same audio. A forward mid also makes the music sound louder than it actually is. Loud bands may also prefer that presentation while monitoring their performance. Jerry only recommends the 'Pro' products to those who require his products for live audio monitoring.

Most artists and sound engineers own multiple pairs of IEMs because a variety of IEM allows them to choose the right product for the right application.

Jun 21, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #68 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by utdeep
I have a feeling that the UE5c and the UE10s are pretty different.
Check out the reviews on iPodlounge and you'll see that the review said there was a noticeable increase in sound quality from the UE5c to the UE10 using an iPod as a source. His ratings reflect this... the UE5c gets a "Happy" because it's expensive but the UE10s (which are $350 more!) get an "Excited" which is their highest rating!

Good point utdeep! I totally forgot about that review. I read that when the guy first wrote it as well. I believe it is the same reviewer that did the UE5c review for iPodlounge in the first place.

Either way, you'll have your UE-10 Pro soon, and you'll let us know
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #70 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmt1
And I hate to say this, but after your review, what I REALLY want to see is a direct comparison between the sensas and the UE5C's. I'm wondering if the UE5C's, being more specifically tuned for consumers, may, in addition to having a bit more prominent bass (which admittedly may be a problem for me), have a slightly softer high end (I read where the high frequency drivers are the same on the UE5C's and UE10's; it would be interesting to know if they are tuned differently, and to what degree/effect)...

Since the sensas and UE10's sound so great directly out of the source, maybe you can sell one of you amps and get the UE5's (Just kidding, I suppose the madness must stop somewhere).

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #71 of 271
I would like to know how these phones compare to non-canalphones.

I use AKG 501 at home and only use my er4p/s outside since IMO they do not come close sonically to the 501. The only edge I find with the etys are the absence of leakage (important in a japanese house).

How would you compare the UE or Sensaphonics to your home phones ?

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #72 of 271
I think this review should give a good idea.. I'm too lazy to write another one comparing CD3000 against the UE-10 Pro, but you get the idea...

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70159

One addendum:

I think 2X-S does have one advantage, because its excellent microdynamic in its decay, and the extra richness and warmth, it gives it a characteristic that stands out apart from the CD3000. Whenever something is outstandingly different from one headphone to another, it really gives you that immediate impact value, and allow you to appreciate it much more easily.

UE-10 sounds more like CD3000 in its colder presentation, although the level of detail is higher and clarity is better. It doesn't have as much of a "differing" characteristic that makes it more special in comparison. However, even though it doesn't have a stand-out, differentiating characteristic, it is still an excellent headphone that I would rate above the CD3000 overall.

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #73 of 271
Quote:

I think this review should give a good idea.. I'm too lazy to write another one comparing CD3000 against the UE-10 Pro, but you get the idea...http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70159

One addendum:

I think 2X-S does have one advantage, because its excellent microdynamic in its decay, and the extra richness and warmth, it gives it a characteristic that stands out apart from the CD3000. Whenever something is outstandingly different from one headphone to another, it really gives you that immediate impact value, and allow you to appreciate it much more easily.

UE-10 sounds more like CD3000 in its colder presentation, although the level of detail is higher and clarity is better. It doesn't have as much of a "differing" characteristic that makes it more special in comparison. However, even though it doesn't have a stand-out, differentiating characteristic, it is still an excellent headphone that I would rate above the CD3000 overall.

It is very interesting to know that a canal phone can cost this much and be up there or better than CD3000. Have you get a chance to hear the Senn HD-650. How these two compares to the Senn? Do you plan to keep both or just one? Again, awesome review.

Jun 21, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #74 of 271
Very nice review, but I am a little comfused on on thing, you said 2X-S is more comfortable because it's softer, make sense to me that softer = more confortable to me.

However you also said
" the 2X-S feels "fuller" when it's in your ear, because the soft silicone really "hugs" the inside of your ear. The UE-10 just sits in your ear instead of "hugging" it."

I think I would much rather have something just sit there instead of keep hugging my ear... Maybe I misunderstood, but please explan a little more on this, thanks.

Jun 21, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #75 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
It is very interesting to know that a canal phone can cost this much and be up there or better than CD3000. Have you get a chance to hear the Senn HD-650. How these two compares to the Senn? Do you plan to keep both or just one? Again, awesome review.

I was never a big fan of the Sennheiser house sound. For me they were always too genre specific... I enjoyed them with classical and jazz, but couldn't stand them with rock and just about anything else. This goes for HD650s as well. I think both of these IEM has a lot more microdynamic than the HD650, after all, HD650, although more articulated than previous Sennheisers, are still more in the "smooth & natural" category. These IEM's are also more punchy and more exciting than the laid back sound of the Sennheisers.

All in all, I can't really be a fair judge of how they measure up against the HD650, given how I really didn't like them.

Edit: Oh yeah, when you said, "plan to keep both?"... Do you mean keeping both UE-10 and 2X-S? Or you mean CD3000 versus one of the IEM's? I don't have a choice of keeping just one of the IEM's.. they are custom molded only for me, and completely not resellable. Neither company will reshape them for another ear, and they will not reuse the parts in them either. So they're both mine, for as long as I shall live.

I think it's the biggest commitment to anything I've ever made in my life thus far.. LOL...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader
I think I would much rather have something just sit there instead of keep hugging my ear... Maybe I misunderstood, but please explan a little more on this, thanks.

Well, I think a good way to think about it is having gel insoles for your shoes versus just foam insoles. Gel insoles are more comfortable, and they "hug" your ear more, because they mold themselves to the shape of your ear instead of the other way around. You get the feeling of the full support.

So in comparison, the 2X-S really fills up the inside of your ears and moves with you, where the UE-10 doesn't make that intimate skin-to-surface contact as much.

Sounds more and more like something other than headphones.. err.. hmm..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back