REVIEW: Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro & Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-Soft
Jun 30, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #256 of 271
Jaume --

I thought that was a wonderful post. Especially the part about the morphology of the ear having an incredible impact on one's experience of an earphone -- which makes anyone's opinion very unreliable. Also the idea that you need to spend some serious time to get accustomed to how something sounds before you review it. Very well done -- thank you for taking the time to do this translation.

Jun 30, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #257 of 271
I might be able to help in putting it in slightly better English. Being Italian, if it's written in Spanish, I could probably render some concepts in a better way. But I agree, it was a very interesting read.

Jun 30, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #258 of 271
How does the maintenance of the UEs and Sensas compare to that of the Etys? I had once thought of getting Ety's but was discouraged after reading that you have to clean and replace filters as well as foamies, etc.

Jun 30, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #259 of 271
Michael Santucci from Sensaphonics got back to me. It seems my timing for Christmas is perfect because he will be going to conference in Europe, and meeting audiologists from Helsinki...so he'll be able to give one his personal stamp of approval for me. The Sensas will also stand up to a Helsinki winter, so that's a good thing. Well it looks like this is slowly taking shape.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #260 of 271
Jaume - Although insightful and quite legit, your post hasn't stated anything that's been repeated at least a handsful of times before by other Head-Fi members. Basically, the entire length of the post boils down to, "You can't trust anyone's review because everyone's ear is different, everyone's listening equipment is different..".. so on, so forth.

This will sound harsh, but that post has very little relevancy here, because of the content covered has been talked about at length at various times over and over again here on Head-Fi. Also because it undermines the point of any type of reviews. The same type of issues, although not exactly the same, not to the same magnitude, can be said about car reviews, computer equipment reviews, software reviews. Every single review ever done on any products/movies/music or whatever else is subject to the same type of argument that you've raised here.

I think we all understand the subjectivity of sound and all the other variable that goes into it, and if we decide not to review equipments because of those reasons, then there would be no point to the existence of this entire site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
How does the maintenance of the UEs and Sensas compare to that of the Etys? I had once thought of getting Ety's but was discouraged after reading that you have to clean and replace filters as well as foamies, etc.

There's definitely a lower amount of maintenance that has to be done with custom IEM's, because you don't have to get new foamies, or get new tips, or trim tips to fit or anything like that. However, UE-10 Pro does have replaceable filters, but they can only be serviced by Ultimate Ears. The filters are hard to remove, since they're embedded a pretty good length into the sound tube. So regular cleaning is the best way to ensure no earwax flows down far enough into the tube to cause clogging.

Also, it is to my knowledge that ProPhonic 2X-S employs no usage of filters whatsoever. I can't see any in the sound tube (you can see them with the UE-10 Pro, if you have a clear casing) of the 2X-S.

Just make sure you clean them on a regular basis.

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #261 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Jaume - Although insightful and quite legit, your post hasn't stated anything that's been repeated at least a handsful of times before by other Head-Fi members. Basically, the entire length of the post boils down to, "You can't trust anyone's review because everyone's ear is different, everyone's listening equipment is different..".. so on, so forth.

This will sound harsh, but that post has very little relevancy here, because of the content covered has been talked about at length at various times over and over again here on Head-Fi. Also because it undermines the point of any type of reviews. The same type of issues, although not exactly the same, not to the same magnitude, can be said about car reviews, computer equipment reviews, software reviews. Every single review ever done on any products/movies/music or whatever else is subject to the same type of argument that you've raised here.

One important point that I haven't seen brought up in my time here is that there ain't no such thing as an objective, unbiased review, and the only way to benefit from reviews is to find a reviewer whose tastes and perceptions are a match for your own. Example: if a movie reviewer gives high marks to a movie I enjoyed, and liked the same things about it that I did, I'm going to pay more attention to his recommendations in the future. If, on the other hand, he hated the movie I liked, and raves about the subtle comedic genius of "Dude, Where's My Car?", I'm not going to pay much attention to him, because what he likes isn't what I like.

I follow Lindrone's reviews because I've found that what he likes, I often like as well. I bought the A900 based in large part on Lindrone's discussion of it, and I've been very happy with it. I upgraded from the E2 to E3c for much the same reason, and again I've been very pleased with it. So I know that if Lindrone recommends something, there's a good chance I'm going to like it too. (Which means there might be a pair of Sensaphonics somewhere far, far in my future, but I'm not going to think about that right now.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

On the other hand, to pick an example: DJGeorgeT is a big fan of the Sony V6/7506, which I owned briefly and didn't like very much. As I recall, he's also not that fond of the A900. So if he reviews something, I'll still read it with great interest, but I won't take his recommendation as meaning that I'm going to like it, because I know his tastes are different from mine.

So I really don't think people should be demanding unbiased reviews -- really, a truly unbiased review would be little more than a recitation of technical specs and a few indisputable truths like "This is a headphone. It sits on your head. It makes sound in your ears." Rather, once you get a sense of a reviewer's biases, you'll know whether they match your own. If not, then you probably shouldn't use their recommendations as a guide, but that's not the reviewer's fault...

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #262 of 271
I am looking at Sensa's recommended UK distributor/audiologists website http://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/pages/audio.asp

These are the instructions for having impressions done:

"Instructions for Custom Mould Impressions

The Audiologist should take a semi-deep impression, which should give a precise mould of the outer canal (meatus) at least to the second internal bend, include the bowl (concha) as well as the second indent immediately above the aperture of the outer canal (helix).

Use two-part silicon impression material."

There is nothing here about open mouth impressions. Why is that Lindrone ?

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #263 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by penbat
I am looking at Sensa's recommended UK distributor/audiologists website http://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/pages/audio.asp

There is nothing here about open mouth impressions. Why is that Lindrone ?

Why don't you ask Handheldaudio about it? They're a distributor, Sensaphonics doesn't control what content they want to put on their page. How am I supposed to know why Handlheldaudio doesn't put it on their webpage? I'm sure individual audiologist knows (heck, even the crummy audioloigst that UE sent me to knew you had to do open-mouth impressions).

That's like saying I should know why Penbat posts the things he does on other threads, and I should have some control over Penbat's content just because he's another Head-Fi'er. What if Penbat misrepresents Head-Fi by posting something horribly inappropriate? Should I have done something about it?

*shrug*

Jul 1, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #264 of 271
Hi Penbat,
I looked at the Sensaphonics web site and couldn't see any distributors/audioligists mentioned. However, I did look at the Ultimate Ears site, and guess what?
Their official UK distributor is, yes you've got it, Handheld Audio

LOL
John

Jul 1, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #265 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
Hi Penbat,
I looked at the Sensaphonics web site and couldn't see any distributors/audioligists mentioned. However, I did look at the Ultimate Ears site, and guess what?
Their official UK distributor is, yes you've got it, Handheld Audio

LOL
John

Sensa emailed the name of HandHeld to me. Yes Handheld apparently deal with UE as well.

Jul 1, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #266 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by penbat
Sensa emailed the name of HandHeld to me. Yes Handheld apparently deal with UE as well.

So Penbat, Handheldaudio doesn't mention taking an open-mouth impression at all on their website. Why is that?! Have you asked Ultimate Ears?!

*sigh*
rolleyes.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #267 of 271
Lindrone, Penbat just seems to have his biases against certain head-fiers and for other head-fiers. He will complain about and try to pick fights with the ones he doesn't like, but will act a bit fanboy-ish of those he does likes. He seems like a nice enough guy, but I don't think he knows he comes off as sounding, which is a bit funny. Who knows, maybe he'll calm down a bit now that he has the UE10's.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 2, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #268 of 271
LINDRONE :

Reason why I can deduce of its commentary to my writing:

".....been repeated..... " ?
".....Basically.............." ?
".....the entire............" ?

moan very sincerely and deeply that has not practically understood anything (or perhaps yes ?) of the essence and main reason for the idea of the same one. Possibly, Dixie Flatline if that something better has understood the intention of the same one in spit of:

".....use to their recommendations ace to guide....." ?

Also to request Lindrone pardon to him, that could have been motivated mainly (?), by the erroneous ilegibilidad in my translation and expressions of the same one. Excuses again.

Also to request excuses by this one reason, to the rest of the members of these fórums, which they have also had the patience to be able to read the writing with great difficulty and very mainly to ..... gorman and random person, which and reason why I intuit of its brief words, possibly have included (perhaps by less damages and partiality), the true intention and philosophy of the same one.

Thanks to all a greeting

J M i R

END

Jul 2, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #269 of 271
Jaume, pido que usted me envíe con un mensaje personal el texto español de su mensaje anterior. Puedo traducirlo tan mejor. Ok?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #270 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
Hi Penbat,

They answer.... But very slowly

I hesitate more and more between the "Sensa" and "UE-10"

John

Idem for me. The house "Sensa" has a very bad direction of followed mall with its future customers. I put 3 questions (in a second e-mail) and still not of answer. I lean more and more for Ue-10.

Stéphane

Excuse-me for my bad english

Users who are viewing this thread

Back