REVIEW: Travagan's home "Red" Headphone amp and "Green" and "White" Headphone Amp/USB DACs (UPDATE 4-08)
Dec 11, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #31 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where is the english site of travagans?

David hopes to have the English site up by Xmas. however, i just noticed that there is an (empty) English sub-forum at his site now.
www.travagans.com :: 首é

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #33 of 82
I'm from Taiwan and i have already bought a "Red" one for $5500 NTD, which is approximately $170 USD.
And the green one cost $6800 NTD/ $210 USD. Both comes with a pair of 2" speaker!
David Lin says the speaker is a gift for the first one thousand buyers! so it's not sure whether it will be sell with the amps in US!
and the cost might be more expensive when shipped to US!
You guys will have to ask David himself for details

As for other Travagens' products
There will be a "White" coming along for $7500 NTD/$232 USD in Taiwan
It's a pure headphone amplifier(without speaker amp) with USB and RCA inputs
white%201_800.jpg

www.travagans.com :: 觀看文ç«* - 白~

there will also be a Travagans' colors
It's a portable amplifier with built in Lithium battery charged via USB
www.travagans.com :: 觀看文ç«* - Travagan's Colors
Colors%201_800.jpg

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #34 of 82
Again another great review Rob!
I certainly was surprised to hear how much you liked the Red. Looks like an interesting choice for the SS market. I sure am pleased at how the choices are growing in this arena.

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #35 of 82
Thanks Steve. I was surprised how much I liked it too! Really nice little amp. And it seems like it will be quite inexpensive - how cool!

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #36 of 82
it looks really cool for Green and Color.

@gregtsai: Can i ask for detail to contact David Lin. My friend now study in China and may be he can make a call for shipment. Thank you in advance gregtsai.

Ah, one thing i want to ask. Did you go to buy this in his store or in other distributors shop.

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #37 of 82
david sent me the link to his new shop
Index-Travagan's shop

prices are a little higher than expected (but, they do include free shipping).

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #38 of 82
Still, they sure seem to be a bargain to me!

I have a "White" amp in house now for review, will be getting to that in a week or so.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #39 of 82
went ahead and ordered a White tiger. $290 should buy a pretty good headphone amp so my expectations are somewhat high.

it was a tough call between the White and the Red (which is significantly less) but, figured the DAC could be more useful than speakers out.

===
received the white amp and... got a color for free
biggrin.gif
(green one). initial listens are positive for the White.

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #40 of 82
All:

I just added the following to this review:

UPDATE 4-1-08 - "White" Headphone Amp/USB DAC

David sent me the "White" to test. This is his "premium" product (so far anyway) - it's the same size as the others, but includes a different feature set:

> Has both line input AND USB DAC input, with switch
> Stepped Attenuator
> High/Low gain switch
> No speaker outputs

Pic:

DSC01620.jpg

The "White" amp shares the same basic sonic signature as the others - quick and fast, but is a little lusher in the mids than the Red and Green amps are. The treble is also smoother, while being just as extended. The bass is maybe just a tiny bit tighter, with perhaps just a tiny bit less quantity in the bass.

The "White" is even more transparent sounding than the Red and Green, which I feel are fairly transparent to begin with. The White actually is remarkably transparent. It also has a LOT of drive capability - even in low gain, I only needed setting 3 on the stepped attenuator to get all the level out of my Denon D5000 that I could possibly want. I don't listen super-loud, but the D5000's aren't the easiest headphone in the world to drive. No problem driving my 600 ohm Beyer DT990's, either.

For $290, it isn't the crazy screaming bargain that the Red is, but it offers highly competitive sound. For me, the $100 more for the White is EASILY worth the improvements in smoothness and the slightly more lush midband. I continue to be impressed with David Lin's products.

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #42 of 82
Didn't compare those - will try to later. The "White" is not a portable amp, of course...

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #44 of 82
Small, yes, but not portable - no battery function. It's about 3x the height, and 1.5x the footprint of a Meier 2Move.

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #45 of 82
How is the White when fed through its DAC?

Thanks,
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back