REVIEW: Travagan's home "Red" Headphone amp and "Green" and "White" Headphone Amp/USB DACs (UPDATE 4-08)
Apr 2, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #46 of 82
Quite good! I think the USB DAC is very not as good an the line in, but it's still very good.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #47 of 82
Sky, what would u say about White or Red / Green when it is compared to something else (that is a desktop amp) of around that value?

Would it be possible to say that the sound may be cleaner and more crisp as a desktop amp than tube amps of that value(such as LDMK2/3 or the lunchbox)?

I actually like the looks of these, and they arent really crazy big compared to other amps.

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #48 of 82
argh why can't they use 1/4" jacks?!

I hate having anything with a heavy cable connected via 1/8", it just makes me paranoid.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #49 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sky, what would u say about White or Red / Green when it is compared to something else (that is a desktop amp) of around that value?

Would it be possible to say that the sound may be cleaner and more crisp as a desktop amp than tube amps of that value(such as LDMK2/3 or the lunchbox)?

I actually like the looks of these, and they arent really crazy big compared to other amps.

Well, they are crisper, yes. Honestly, I would rather have a Lunchbox II, but I really like tube amps. For a SS amp in this price range, the only serious competition is the Meier Audio Arietta, and I would also recommend it over the Travagans amps except for people with very laid back headphones, in which case the Travagans amps are the better choice, or for people who want the USB DAC in this price range, in which case again the White becomes the obvious choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
argh why can't they use 1/4" jacks?!

I hate having anything with a heavy cable connected via 1/8", it just makes me paranoid.

This is probably my biggest complaint about these amps, which are very solidly built otherwise. My Denon and Beyer headphones have the screw-off 1/4 inch jacks though, so I could use their 1/8 jacks no problem. But can't easily use the DX1000 or any of my Darth Beyers.

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #50 of 82
My Audio-Technica headphones also have the screw-on adapters but I still get twitchy about having anything short of an IEM cable hanging off a mini jack.

It's really annoying because these amps are very tempting, but I must have a 1/4" jack on a home amp!

The whole reason I don't own a Cute Beyond already is because of the headphone out being 1/8" instead of 1/4", and here I am tearing myself up trying to figure out how to properly amp the AD700s without having tons of noise or extremely twitchy volume knobs.

Really just tempted to match a couple 120 ohm resistors and wire up an adapter for these cans so I can have a little more amp freedom. -_-

Apr 15, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #52 of 82
Not really - the only other amp/dac combos I have heard in that price range are portables.

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #54 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does this compare to the other $300 DAC/AMPs? Looking for good synergy with my DT880s.

the top competition for desktop DAC/AMPs under $300 right now looks to be:

Travagan vs. Octavart vs. ZERO

no idea how they compare though. would also be great to hear of any others.

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #55 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by caromire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the AKG K-701 the green work well?.

I already have a DAC but you think that the red or green would pair well with K701s or HD650s?

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #56 of 82
Well there is no point getting the Green if you have a DAC - just get the Red.

I did not listen to the Red with either the K701 or the HD650 so I can't really comment on what synergy it might have there.

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #57 of 82
Alright thank you for the info and the review
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #59 of 82
Nope - you need the power supply no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back