Review: Thinksound TS02+mic - an Exercise in Relaxation
Oct 9, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #31 of 75
Which output are you having issues with? Is it a desktop amp/dac?

The J3 works fine with mic'd IEMs - no need for any adapter. So do all of my other portable players as well as the iBasso D10 and Fiio E7. 

Yep, the only difference between the two variations is the color of the wood and aluminum bits and the tips. Interestingly, I think there might be minute differences between tips depending on color - or at least there are for Meelec tips which I have about a half-dozen sets of. The clear tips are a bit thicker than the black ones.

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #32 of 75
It is a dac/amp yes. I have two outputs where one has a 3.5mm to 1/4inch adapter on it and the other is a regular 3.5mm output. When I connect with the adapter the vocals are about the most recessed it can possibly get. However if I pull the plug a bit so it is not in all the way it works fine. With the 3.5mm output it usually works fine but if I just twist the connection it does the same thing with the vocals. Strangely enough all of that is gone when I put in an impedance adapter in between. I've been using the RE-Zero adapter to prevent that from happening when I'm not using the impedance adapter on the dac/amp. The J3 has no such issues however.

edit: I just realized that the TS02+mic face some serious competition from my set of universals. I have the HJE900 and RE-Zero which is in the same price range and both are very good. It's going to take a crazy good bang for your buck to beat either. So far it seems like the TS02+mic can be something in between the HJE900 and RE-Zero in the bass quantity at least. I'll see how they fare over the next couple days.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #33 of 75
I think signature wise these will be 2nd on my list of universals. The RE-Zero isn't going anywhere from the top spot but so far I like them more than the HJE900 on sound signature. I don't think these are as good as the HJE900 on a technical level but the HJE900 really shouldn't be a under $100 earphone but since they are the TS02+mic face a bit of an unfair comparison.The RE-Zero is also near the top of it's class in price range assuming you like their signature so they aren't as good technically as those either. Also usually the mic on an earphone drives up the price usually around $20 so realistically this should be around $80 without a mic. It's still more than what I paid for the HJE900 but they were on sale.

I find these to sound pretty decent and the fact that they have a mic should appeal to more people since there are not that many earphones with a mic. I hope these need more time to play through but I'm not that impressed with the low end so far. The low end seems a bit blurred together and by low end I really mean sub bass. With my HJE900 and even the RE-Zero I can hear the notes much more clearly. I do like the midrange so far and seem pretty smooth and top end seems to lack a bit of extension like the low bass. I think it would be more fair if I had a S4 still but I sold those around a year ago and the S4i is probably it's main competition. I don't have anything in between my R02 and HJE900/RE-Zero level.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #34 of 75
Thanks, rawrster. Looking forward to your long-term impressions/review.

On another note, I've just come back to the TS02 after a week with the Silver Bullets and I have to say it's not a night and day difference. The SB are a bit more refined and detailed but on the whole the TS02 keeps up pretty well and has definite usability advantages (such as the cord not being plasticky trash). 

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #35 of 75
Oct 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #36 of 75

Quote:
I've posted a review of the TS02+Mic IEMs on both my site and here on Head-Fi. Check them out!

Thinksound TS02+Mic Review at Musical Musings

Thinksound TS02+Mic Review: Natural Sound through Nature

Thanks, nice write-up and great pics 
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #37 of 75
How did you get the pictures to be right next to each other in the packaging and accessories section? I'll probably post something up in a bit more than a week. I do have some issues with my dac/amp but not my phone or J3 which is pretty odd. I've figured out that I can get it to sound like it should most of the time but sometimes it seems as if vocals are very distant but interestingly enough if I press on the mic it sounds like it should. I just use a impedance adapter or the RE-Zero adapter. I'll have to send Thinksound an email about that however.

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #38 of 75

Quote:
How did you get the pictures to be right next to each other in the packaging and accessories section?

Just don't leave any space between the images and they'll be next to each other if the reader's browser window is wide enough.

Oct 18, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #39 of 75
I have some initial thoughts, will get more in depth later on. I have joker's pair on loan.

First, the sflo2 does not like the plug even if I do a shallow insertion. The only way to get good sound is to keep the mic button pressed, so I used a twisty to keep it pressed. The mic looks silly if you wear them over the ear, but straight down use is very comfortable incase you don't want that silly look. Neither of these will be problems for it's purpose which is to serve smartphone users on the go. But another issue (though very minor imo) to note is that driver flex is pretty constant on these, honestly one of the worst i've tried in this regard. To contrast, this is one of the most comfortable IEMs i've tried and though there's venting, I'm still getting good isolation.

Sound wise, the reverb is pretty nice as noted earlier, it sounds so clean and natural. It doesn't feel like it's trying too hard and nor does it sound dull. I'm actually liking the sound of low-register piano chords on these, which isn't always the case in this price range. The mid and upper regions are pretty solid and I think the treble extension is pretty good from what I've gathered so far.

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #40 of 75
Great review, ljokerl.  I love reading your reviews, and am learning a lot from them.  I'm thinking of ordering the TS02 for my commute, but am worried about sound leakage from the vent.  I know this is a minimal problem with my ie6s, even though they have a grill, but was wondering whether you noticed any leakage on the model you reviewed?

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #41 of 75

Quote:
Great review, ljokerl.  I love reading your reviews, and am learning a lot from them.  I'm thinking of ordering the TS02 for my commute, but am worried about sound leakage from the vent.  I know this is a minimal problem with my ie6s, even though they have a grill, but was wondering whether you noticed any leakage on the model you reviewed?

Leakage is really not a problem with these and almost all other IEMs unless you listen at unreasonable volumes. I would not expect it to be greater than with the IE6. The isolation does suffer very slightly as a result of the vent but it is still more than adequate for day-to-day use.

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #42 of 75
Hey, I've been looking at these to replace my old nuforce NE-7Ms for use on my iphone. (I tried the 700Xs, but I can't seem to get as good a fit with them.) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any idea how they compare with the Vintage Woodees IESW100V - http://www.woodees.com/product/Inner%20Ear%20Earphones/178/Vintage%20Woodees%20Earphones%20with%20Microphone/517
The Woodees are bit flashy, but the three button remote is tempting and the build quality looks good. The only comparison I found seems to favor them over the thinksounds (http://www.beatweek.com/iphone/ipodiphoneitunes/7673-review-woodees-iconnect-vintage-earbuds-for-iphone-and-ipod/) and they're a bit cheaper. Can't seem to find any mention of them on head-fi though... just the older Woodees IESW100B model. Anyone tried the Vintage ones?

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #43 of 75
Those look like a fruity version of the TS02s. No idea on the sound though and I think you have very low chances of getting an answer, TS02s will thus be the safer bet. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #44 of 75

Quote:
Hey, I've been looking at these to replace my old nuforce NE-7Ms for use on my iphone. (I tried the 700Xs, but I can't seem to get as good a fit with them.) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any idea how they compare with the Vintage Woodees IESW100V - http://www.woodees.com/product/Inner%20Ear%20Earphones/178/Vintage%20Woodees%20Earphones%20with%20Microphone/517
The Woodees are bit flashy, but the three button remote is tempting and the build quality looks good. The only comparison I found seems to favor them over the thinksounds (http://www.beatweek.com/iphone/ipodiphoneitunes/7673-review-woodees-iconnect-vintage-earbuds-for-iphone-and-ipod/) and they're a bit cheaper. Can't seem to find any mention of them on head-fi though... just the older Woodees IESW100B model. Anyone tried the Vintage ones?

Great, the review rambles on for two paragraphs about the price and says nothing at all about how they actually sound. The IESW101B was a good earphone but the wood and metal (more like tin) felt cheap next to the machined thinksounds and the more neutral/coldish signature is not something you'd expect from a wooden earphone. Don't know if the new Vintage/Blues models are just a cosmetic refresh or if they've actually been re-tuned. For a more balanced-sounding woody there's always the Meelec CW31P, though it's got a different form factor.

Quote:
Those look like a fruity version of the TS02s. 

biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #45 of 75
Got a response from Woodees - the drivers and housings of the new models are the same as the ones used in the original IESW100/101B but the cable and minor cosmetic details will have undergone improvement. I think it's safe to assume that the 'sound' sections of all of the original Woodees reviews would apply to the Blues/Vintage models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back