REVIEW: The Stunning McIntosh D100
Jan 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #19 of 148
I hope they also incorporate backlit green text in the next D100 as it does not light up the green text like other McIntosh products. Wonder why they didn't use back light on the D100. Look at headphone, input, level etc.

And then with another component.

Look at the text around the knobs.

PS: McIntosh is also introducing a pair of headphones and a headamp.

McIntosh has also revealed that it is developing its own headphone range to go with the MHA100. Shown in prototype form at the show were the flagship MHP1000 over-ear headphones that will go on sale in the first half of 2014 for around $2000. More affordable models will be added to the range in due course.

^ Think that's MA100 or something, not sure. I believe they have introduced these things at CES.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #20 of 148
Well lets hope they bothered to read the flagship headphone guide Google doc floating around here.. The design looks very Beyer Dynamic like. McIntosh probably pointed out the work they did with the USB implementation. Many other seamless implementations around, but many DAC manufacturers still getting it wrong!

I read the headphone amp was going to be around $4500? Just reinforces my opinion that the D100 is better value for money when paired up to a good headphone amplifier.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #21 of 148
just by the way, I am using the McIntosh I-pod app since several years as a music-player when using my iPod touch via docking station... in the beginning the "index-needle" was coupled to the microphone of the iPod and reacting not only to the music played, but to any sound around. Now it gets it's signal internally and behaves as it is supposed to. And it definitely gives you some of the Mc-feeling...

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 148
Great review fellas....what a MAC!
dt880smile.png

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #23 of 148
Jan 10, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #24 of 148
Nice review! I just don't get one thing. How can this thing be charged 2500$ in the US and like 3000 pounds in the UK, or in my case 3900 Swiss francs in Switzerland! This is like twice the US price.

Shame on importers, or on McIntosh if they fix the price.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #25 of 148
Nice review! I listen to Justin Timberlake, too, BTW.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks - and right on! I think the 20/20 experience is actually a headphone record!
It sounds like they mixed it for cans - and that would be smart - as most of their consumers
will hear it that way! 
  Nice review.  I wish McIntosh would get around to porting the MP-1 app to Android or another Linux distro.

Thanks and that's a GREAT idea! I'll take it to them for ya!!

great review guys. thanks a lot.

AWESOME

SO glad you enjoyed it!!

Amazing review fellas and as always great formatting on here Warrenpchi!

Thanks brotha - and hell yeah! @warrenpchi KILLED it!!

Thanks Mike-great writeup. I was wondering if you could go into more detail
regarding the headphone output? How did it compare to the dedicated headphone amps you had on hand?

The D100 headphone amp section was musical, first-and foremost.
It had great dynamic control, but also sounded breathy, airy, and had great dimensionality.
I could live with it easily as an all-in-one unit!

My Studio Six  and E.A.R. HP just took things to a whole other level, which they should.
But the D100 ahead as a DAC - with both: a magical, high goosebump-factor experience.

I'm buying the damn thing.
I'm in trouble.
Thanks for the kind words!

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #26 of 148
Excellent review fellas!

I personally don't really think of the 'USB handshake' as something to overly think about when buying a device. What made you two incorporate its 'seamless' feature so prominently in this review?

The USB implementation for seamless hand-shaking with PC and Mac is not always easy - and they went to CEntrance for this.
That shows McIntosh is a true legacy company, and wise enough to seek out those who specialize in things that maybe new to them!
That speaks to their dedication.
I think.

Plus, CEntrance does an excellent job with DACs!

and THANKS!!

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #27 of 148

Thanks - and right on! I think the 20/20 experience is actually a headphone record!
It sounds like they mixed it for cans - and that would be smart - as most of their consumers
will hear it that way! 
Thanks and that's a GREAT idea! I'll take it to them for ya!!

AWESOME

SO glad you enjoyed it!!

Thanks brotha - and hell yeah! @warrenpchi KILLED it!!

The D100 headphone amp section was musical, first-and foremost.
It had great dynamic control, but also sounded breathy, airy, and had great dimensionality.
I could live with it easily as an all-in-one unit!

My Studio Six  and E.A.R. HP just took things to a whole other level, which they should.
But the D100 ahead as a DAC - with both: a magical, high goosebump-factor experience.

I'm buying the damn thing.
I'm in trouble.

Oh boy.. good luck!

I wish I get to hear the D100 with ST6.. I'm really curious now! 

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #28 of 148

Oh boy.. good luck!

I wish I get to hear the D100 with ST6.. I'm really curious now! 

oh man that combo is fierce!!

This sounds awesome, which headphone would pair the best with this unit, HD 650 or the harder to drive LCD-2's?

it would drive the 2's - for sure, but between those the 650's might get more oooomph.
I don't have 650's so I can't try for ya! 
sorry
but, for giggles, I tried it w/ my LCD-3's - and it was fine for me!
loud enough, dynamic, engaging...

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #29 of 148
  oh man that combo is fierce!!

it would drive the 2's - for sure, but between those the 650's might get more oooomph.
I don't have 650's so I can't try for ya! 
sorry
but, for giggles, I tried it w/ my LCD-3's - and it was fine for me!
loud enough, dynamic, engaging...

You may want to start to talk to McIntosh for commissions, because I think you may have just sold me one. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #30 of 148
Nice review! I listen to Justin Timberlake, too, BTW.
smily_headphones1.gif

Awesome. The 20/20 Experience in hi rez is CRAZY - I think it's a mixed for headphones album!!
  Nice review.  I wish McIntosh would get around to porting the MP-1 app to Android or another Linux distro.

GREAT idea!

great review guys. thanks a lot.

Thanks! We put a lot into this one!!!!

LMFTFY

NICE!!!!
Love this

Thanks Mike-great writeup. I was wondering if you could go into more detail
regarding the headphone output? How did it compare to the dedicated headphone amps you had on hand?

The D100's headphone amplifier was clean, but also with rich texture and nice sparkle-factor.
An enjoyable listen! I could live with this as an all-in-one for sure.

My ALO Studio Six and E.A.R HP4 (both being reference-level tube amps) had far more weight and overall dynamic gestalt.
But they should!

The D100 sounded clearer and more direct than the Schiit Vali - though I dig the Vali's signature.

The Burson had greater control in the lower depths, and also sharper in the highs - 

Is this universal voltage (i.e. 110/230V) or 120V only ?

Thanks

I believe it can be set to both,
but will check into that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back