REVIEW: The Headstage Arrow HE portable amplifier
Feb 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus

The Headstage Arrow HE amplifier

I'm picky when it comes to investing in electronics; I am not wealthy, below median income level, and yet I've still managed to spend quite a few thousand dollars on all my headphone equipment, be it amps, DACs,  wires or headphones. I consider even this level of sonic investment to be quite considerable and therefore, I shop for keeps, always. Had I the resources, I'm sure I'd be a rampant collector, buying this amp then that amp, that pair of cans and those, piles of insanely bad ass equipment building up around my home (one can dream).  But reality forces me to find something that's worth holding on too and then hold on to it. I've grown to  appreciate this and I enjoy said devices more and more as time goes by...

So it went with my four month wait to acquire a Headstage Arrow HE portable headphone amplifier. Call it a geeks wet dream if you want ... a perverse desire to handle well designed hardware ... a true desire for better sound ... whatever. But as I read about the Arrow amp, as I read the oddly endearing (yet mildly abrasive) peculiarities of it's creator, the more I realized that I just HAD to have one. 

So ... necessary introductions now behind us, feeling much closer to you readers already, I can  continue with a few comments on what I think of the Headstage Arrow HE portable headphone amplifier (jeezus that's long! I'm just gonna say "Arrow" from now on. phoof!).

Why the hell did I want a portable amp, anyway?

I'm a diehard Shure fan-boi. Have been for years. I like just about everything they make (or at least respect their intentions) ... from microphones (I have several) to IEM's (at least the upper offerings) to the full sized headphones (albeit, new but still fairly important). 

I'm a huge fan of the default sonic signature of the Shure SE530's Inner Ear Monitors (IEM's); I consider them on the neutral/accurate side, not too extended in any given frequency range and just damn fine in a "reference" sense. That said, I *do* typically enjoy just a tad more bass in any given track than the SE530's natively impart. As with just about everything Shure makes, from microphones to headphones, the SE530 IEM's seem to have the musical professional in mind before the popular enthusiast.  

The above considered, I've always used my portable player's EQ to offer up just a few more notches of low end; and, in that regard, I've found the SE530's to be extremely responsive. Never distorted, no matter the volume, incredible drive and midrange, and with the proper equalization (or hardware bass boost circuit), they can be some damn delicious sounding IEM's in the bass realm as well. Odd that I should make an allowance for equalization when it comes to my portable (near demand it) while I'm rabidly opposed to any equalization when it comes to my full sized headphones; strange that. 

So in large part, my reasons for investigating the Headstage Arrow have much to do with wanting to find just the right synergy between DAP, Amp and the Shure SE530's. And although I would go on to test the Arrow with an assortment of fairly high end, full sized headphones as well (more below), I still am most pleased with the Arrow when combined with the SE530's.

And just speaking of equalization, beyond a doubt, I prefer a hardware circuit over a software circuit any day and given my choice, I'd much rather leave my Nationite S:flo  2's EQ set at mostly flat. My hopes were that the Headstage Arrow would not only be a damn fine sounding amp in general, but that it's bass boost circuit would allow me to "zero out" the bass settings on my S:flo 2 EQ and simply use the Arrow's hardware circuit to accentuate the bass. 

Listening Scenario/Equipment

Source: S:Flo 2 Portable DAP
Primary IEM's: Shure SE530 (using med sized Shure "Black Olive" tips)
Secondary Full Size Headphones: AKGK701, Grado GS1000, Audize LCD-2, Shure SRH840
Music: Everything

Contrary to most reviews such as this, both my own and others, I will forego listing each track I demo'd. Suffice it to say, I listened to the Arrow amp with all sorts of music, from Classical  to Alt-Country to Stoner and Sludge and general Indie(tm). And I'm certainly not going to wax poetic over any given little sonic nuance such as, "the pluck of the strings gave me an erection," .. or ...  "I could hear fingers on fret boards and it was chilling!" ...or, the worst... "I heard things in  familiar music that I'd never heard before!"  :wink: I will spare you such nonsense (hell, I'm winded  enough as it is without finding even more things to write about).

So carrying on ...

General Features Set/ETC.

Good design can win me over, any day. And you'll find this entire little diatribe littered with constant references to how well designed I think the Arrow amp is.  Really, it's hard to believe that such output and really well realized features could fit within such a slim design and yet be in what I would call the "top tier" of interface useability (<- my word). I daresay, it's chock full of optional features, the  majority of which I've never really even found a use for such as two stage crossfade, two stage bass boost, auto power on/off (<-awesome), unbelievably long play time and various impedance and gain settings. That said, I have investigated all options thoroughly and can matter of factly claim that  their implementation/use does absolutely nothing to NEGATIVELY affect the sonic performance of the amp (I'll briefly discuss each of those a bit below). All features function as described (a rare thing!) and when/if in use? They in no way compromise the sound (also a rare thing).

Meanwhile, here's a quick run-down copied from the Headstage website:

1. Automatic Power Adaptation with up to 12V Internal Voltage
  2. Maximal 11V Output Voltage (Peak to Peak)
  3. 50 Hours Play Time in Lowest Power Mode (without voltage boost)
  4. 15 Hours Play Time in Highest Power Mode (12V)
  5. Analog AD8397 Opamp in Output Stage
  6. Three Selectable Gain Settings (6dB, 12dB, 21dB)
  7. Ultra Tight Bass Boost (0dB, 9dB, 9dB+9dB below 120Hz)
  8. Öhmann Crossfeed (Off, Low, High)
  9. Impedance Setting (0/20/65 ohm)
  10. Automatic Power Switch (OFF/ON/AUTO)
  11. High-Capacity 1200mAh/4.2V Lithium-Ion Battery
  12. High Efficiency Battery Charging from USB Port
  13. Easy Battery Replacement without Soldering
  14. Symmetric & Short Audio Paths with Low Noise
  15. Analog Audio Input Jacks on Both Ends 
  16. Two Headphone Jacks
  17. ALPS Analog Volume Potentiometer (Not Digital!)
  18. Low-Battery Indication (Slow and Fast LED Blinking)
  19. 4-Layer Circuit Board with two Ground Planes for Low Noise
  20. Black Anodized Aluminium Case with Laser Engraving
  21. ABS End Panels with White Silk Print
  22. Size: 8.5mm x 56mm x 98mm (0.33'' x 2.20'' x 3.86'')
  23. Weight: 75g

Overall Look/Feel/Build Quality

As mentioned a few times already, I'm a fan of the design of the Arrow amp; it's intuitive, extremely thin and matches perfectly next to my S:flo 2's form factor. It feels good in the hand and is extremely "pocketable". It's also very well built, with no superfluous casing elements or features, solid feeling, durable and all  the pieces mate well and with a very minimum of raised seams/joints and the like.  Ah hell, like other things in my life, I just like holding it. LOL. But then again, I did collect well made ball point pens as a 10 year old and so my fixation on solidly constructed and well designed industrial products began at an early age. But that's getting off course a bit and so I digress.

General Sonic Quality

I'd imagine this is the main question most folks have about the Arrow amp: "Does it sound good?"  Ironically, this is also the hardest part to discuss and strangely enough, the topic I find the least to write about. This latter fact is mostly because the answer to the question is simply, "Yes. It  sounds bloody hell good." 

But how to further sum such a claim?

Hmmmm, well for one it perfectly maintains what I find so brilliant about the S:flo 2 DAP. The same excellent spatial qualities and sound staging, the same clarity with no added mud or distortion, just a  really true communication of the sources natural features.

I've heard folks describe the S:flo 2 DAP as being a bit dark. I've also heard folks describe the Arrow amp as being a bit dark. Yet I've never considered either one particularly dark sounding and nor (as would  be expected) do I find the combination of the two to equal further darkness (sounds like I'm talking about a fantasy film for chrissake!). 

And I suppose the one main attractive quality I find about the Arrow amps addition to the sonic chain is that it takes an already nice sounding signal and somehow (here's where it gets difficult) imparts  an undeniable "impact" or "weight" to the sound. Even without any bass boost enabled, the signal that is delivered from the Arrow is simply more present and more engaging. Whose to say that this is not placebic? Certainly not me. But I know when I've had to do with out the Arrow and simply use the S:flo  2 for a day or two, I have found myself truly missing that extra bit of "something" that the Arrow  lends to the overall sonic delivery.

I've heard many various portable headphone amplifiers from other major designers/builders (I will forego listing them so as to not imply any sort of slant on these fine folk) and (IMHO) the Arrow amp simply destroys them all in regards to general "enhancement" of my sources sound. 

And nothing from any of them have equaled the absolutely delicious implementation of "bass boost" in the Headstage Arrow...

A Couple Things I Really Dig...

The auto power on/power off feature is fan-fewkin-tastic! Seriously. I love it. It works flawlessy.  Attach an input source signal and the amplifier automatically turns on. Remove the input source and in 1 minute the amp powers down. There is no power switch on the device. I find this to be a subtle bit of genius on the part of the designer and wonder why more folks don't implement such. It removes a possible break down item from the device configuration and also removes one step the user must take to get to the goods (that would be the music, yo). 

Equally, I've found the auto voltage feature to genuinely yield extremely long play times. According to the Headstage website: "The battery voltage of 4V is automatically boosted to a voltage just as high as needed--with a maximum voltage of 12V." Now I'm not sure what this means but it does seem to really work well at extending battery life. With my SE530's, the Arrow runs for very near the advertised 50 hours of play time. I haven't tested it in a scientific manner but I know I use the amp every day, for well nigh 8 hours a day and I only recharge once a week. Really outstanding power management.  I thought it was solar powered there for a while. :wink:

The Bass Boost Circuit

As I've already opined, I find the Arrow to be uber exceptional when paired with the Shure SE530 IEM's. And with the two stage bass boost set on "I," the Shure's are jettisoned into true sonic bliss. Suddenly the default Shure bass (present, available, accurate, disciplined) is transformed into a bass sound that's immediately more punchy, deep and very taut and a hell of a lot of what some describe as "fun." 

Seriously, bass boost circuits are hard to do right.  Not that I've implemented any or that I even know anything about circuit layout because I haven't and I don't. But more so it's simply to say that I happen to have heard a few.  Among those bass boost circuits I've heard, some have been really okay (like the Practical Devices XM variants), some that have been damn good (certain of Larocco's offerings) and others that have been truly horrendous (like the ridiculously bad bass boost of the FiiO E5). Yet the Arrow's bass boost trounces everything I've heard and I simply could not do without it at this point. 

As I said, the Arrow bass boost is "two stage" ... meaning, of course, that it has two settings (see the above bulleted feature set for a frequency breakdown); yet, very very rarely do I find myself wanting to switch to the "II" setting. It's just too much bass for my ear in general. But what I can say is that even on setting "II" the bass output is still (quite amazingly) very deep, tight and undistorted. In fact, both of the bass boost settings have no unnecessary bloat, no "wool" and simply offer extended sonic versions of the original bass. 

In all honesty, due to the fact that I'm a committed Shure user, the bass boost circuit built in to the Arrow amp could be considered the main selling point of the device which has created a true fan of me (followed by portability, build and power).

Other "optional" features of the Headstage Arrow

I'll be brief here, mostly because my eyes and hands hurt from writing this damn thing but also because I simply have no need for the user selectable features (other than the bass boost, which I love). But as well as bass boost, the Arrow has three other features that can be enabled to a setting of "0," "I" or "II" (0 being default/"flat") via any of the four tiny toggles along one end of the amplifier (crossfeed, gain and impedance) All have been (apparently) very well implemented and are quite effective in accomplishing what they were made to do (especially the cross feed). Here's a few comments:

Crossfeed: I'm not a fan of crossfeed (if you don't know what it is, see here: Cross feed at Wiki  ) but I did certainly spend a good deal of time toying with this feature and can say it worked quite well. I chose an old Beatles track, something off of Abbey Road I think, where the typical production tack is towards hard left right separation of drums and guitar. The Arrows crossfeed feature really did, in a very clean way, blend the left and right channels in a way that created a more centralized stereo image. But for me, it seems to therefore kill what I find so neat about recordings from Abbey Road and other such recordings; I guess I really like the way such separation sounds, even with headphones, which, admittedly can be a bit strange to some folks. Just for the record, the Arrow incorporates a "Öhmann" crossfeed circuit. What that means, I do not know. But I do know it works. I just don't care for using it and would prefer to listen to the stereo mix as it was recorded, be it via headphones or speakers.

Gain: This is an already quite powerful amplifier, even at it's default gain setting (which I generally listen with), driving just about all the full sized headphones I've tried very well. But you can certainly add quite a bit of volume via this toggle. And I mean, a LOT. In fact, with IEM's such as the SE530's, you have to be careful cause you can really blast the old drums. I'm not sure if I prefer the higher gain settings or not with power hungry cans like the AKG K701's ... although, just being nitpicky, I did slightly prefer the AKG's on the first level of gain increase (setting "I"). The Headstage website lists the various gain settings as "6dB, 12dB, 21dB"

Impedance: I don't understand how impedance works. Like I said. I'm no electronics expert. I do know when I like the way something sounds, though and I've never found any reason to change the impedance setting to anything other than it's default "0" setting. I've toyed with it but as of yet have found no benefit or heard any obvious impact on the sound. Others have said that various settings might subtly affect high frequency rendering and they may well be right but I just can't hear anything other than a slight increase or decrease in volume. For me, the default is A-OKAY. 

The Arrow and Full Sized Headphones

Last, I want to say a few things about how well the Arrow drives full sized headphones, even notoriously hard to drive headphones like the AKG K701's or the Senn HD650's. It really does make full sized cans sing in a way that I've not heard another portable amp achieve (especially the Shure SRH840's which are simply AMAZING with the Arrow). I was actually stunned when doing the listening tests with the full sized headphones (and I had a pretty good representation of headphones upon which to draw a conclusion).

The Arrow does not make my full sized cans sound as good as my main desktop, a Ray Samuel's Raptor tube amp. Nor does the Arrow approach the sonic bliss of the other excellent desktop tube amp I have access too here at my crib, a Woo 6 SE. It simply  does not reach the spatial loftiness, the ultra deep "blackground," the gorgeous tones and imaging of those two mentioned, very excellent headphone amplifiers ... and, what's more, it just couldn't. There's design restrictions in a package so small as the Arrow that simply will not allow for such equality.

But man, does it really take a stab at it ... and here's a quick run down of my experience:

** Arrow settings for all cans:  Bass Boost: "I" , Crossfeed: "0", Gain: "1" / Impedance: "0"

--------

Headstage Arrow w/ AKG K701

(very rich sounding, with bass boost set at 1; excellent detail and presence; with other amps not quite suited to the AKG's, they have sometimes come across as "anemic" or "thin" or lacking "muscle" ... here, though? Not the case. Perhaps the most surprising listen of the session.)

--------

Headstage Arrow (2nd Gen) w/ Audize LCD-2

(I know it's hard to believe, but I think I prefer the LCD-2 through the Arrow over through the Raptor)

(thanks Shellylh for the LCD-2 loaner!!)

--------

Headstage Arrow (2nd Gen) w/ Shure SRH840
(perhaps my fav match with the Arrow amp; again, the first stage bass boost really shines with these and the sound, otherwise, is thick, natural and really nice; the fact that the 840's are closed cans doesn't even slightly impact the sound. In fact, I think I like that.)

--------

Headstage Arrow (2nd Gen) w/ Grado GS1000
(Nit picky cans that I still have learned to love; the Arrow does very very well with them; in fact, I'm still listening to my .flac collection with the GS1000's and the Arrow, 2 hours after taking those shots ... very very nice)

--------

In Closing...

The Arrow HE amp was designed and is built in Germany by a fellow named Robert. I'm not concerned with his last name although you'd probably find it easy to divine if you were even a moderate online sleuth.  What concerns me is the simple fact that the man is obviously driven by principles related to  design/work ethic (perhaps not so much business but I could care less) as opposed to reasons of  monetary gain. I could be wrong, as always but the Arrow's designer doesn't seem concerned about making  his first million by building a "quiver" of desktop amps and preamps and DACs and other sonic devices.  Rather, he seems content (as would I in a design sense) with doting over a single design that he  himself first considers brilliant, perfectly realizing it while all the while setting it against some  strange, retentive (but effective) design senseability which, apparently, is never quite satisfied. A  design approach first dictated by the age old maxim, "To thine own self be true" (and fxxx the haters).

I jest a bit but I'm also very serious. I myself am a veteran of the visual/software interface design  field, as well as audio production and engineering and I am exactly the same way  with anything and everything I design, create and must put my name to. It's a rare thing to find in any  sort of designer and it makes such persons and their eccentricities ever so slightly difficult to work  with; it creates lag in production time and it causes clients to lose sleep; but, invariably, it  will generally yield a truly exceptional finished piece of work in the end. Something worth keeping. I recognized these  hallmarks immediately when dealing with the creator of the Arrow HE portable amp. 

He might not be the easiest guy to work with, is obsessively picky about his product, probably under staffed, takes 2 to 4 months to deliver an amp but trust me. It's well worth the wait and the dude's quirks are probably why the Arrow HE amplifier turned out to be such a stellar effort.

Keep it up, Robert. I'm a fan.

Your's in OCD,
Joel.

**This review has been brought to you by Insomnia(tm)!

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 29
Joel, EXCELLENT review, man.  I really like your style (much like my own), and I think we have a similar taste in music, lol.

I too am loving my Arrow.  Well worth the wait (which is now practically zero, as Robert is caught up on all the orders - just a note for anyone considering onee but put off by the wait times of old).  I use pretty much the same settings as you, but I'm a fan of crossfeed, so I use it on I - I just prefer not feeling my brain stuggling with two sound fields and trying to make sense of them...Crossfeed of one smoothes the experience.. 

Impedence set to O is just fine, as the only thing I would use it on a higher setting for would be to squelch any hiss, but the amp is silent with all my gear, so it's moot.  I played around a bit and found the higher settings tended to soften the highs a bit, but it wasn't something I needed.  One thing that's great is I can use my Ety ER4P's and I don't need to use the P to S cable if I want to use them for critical listening.

Gain of I is also great for almost everything (but I've barely tried the HD650 with them, and the second setting seemed to be enough).  The Beyer T50p's push the lowest gain a bit, and the volume level on the Arrow is turned up a bit more than the others, but it's still just fine.  High gain didn't add noise or hiss to the signal, which I really appreciated.

As for design, I feel you there too...excellent bit of gear.  I opened mine up just to look at the board, and the layout is amazing.  All the little SMD resistors and perfect solders were beautiful.  My only gripe is the way the switches are labelled, lol...it makes sense in the end, but there's no manual or anything (even the "manual" on Robert's site isn't helpful), so understanding why some switches are "O I II", "I O II", "O II I", etc...well, I just wish each one went from low (or off) to high for consistency's sake.  The feel of the switches and their solidity is fantastic. Form factor is perfect...it looks beautiful mated to my J3, and the size and weight of the two together is awesome. 

Other things you didn't mention that I appreciate are the choice to input from either end...that adds a nice touch, and gives users more options for using with a variety of players.  I also like the dual headphone jacks.  Yes, it CAN drive an HD650 and another phone (although obviously the volume levels are not matched), but it was handy in my case when I had an amp and two new pairs of phones to break in at the same time, lol.  And yes, auto power on/off kicks a lot of ass.

All in all, I'm like you in that I research the hell out of things before I buy, and when it comes to purchase time I know what I want/  The Arrow met all of my needs and surpassed all of my expectations.  It was the ONLY amp that had crossfeed, gain, impedence, non-software bass-boost, battery life,  and the specific op-amp I wanted in the form factor I was looking for. The best part (although not a deciding factor) was that it gave me all this for a price LESS...substantially...than any of the competitors.  All of the others I'd considered are excellent amps (I won't list them, but basically I was looking at everything up to a Lisa 3), but this is THE amp for me.  Yes, Robert's past will haunt him, but I feel that he's moved on, learned from his mistakes, and is carving his own path...it's just too bad that due to some ancient issues he won't get a fair shake around here.  Wether due to fanboyism and/or the inability to measure products on their own merit instead of "ethics", or the inability to "forgive and forget"...well, anyway...enough of that.  You see my point (or not, lol).

Enjoy your music man!  Thanks for the review.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 29
I also concur, especially with full size cans, or at least my Denon D7000's.  For me (edit for clarity - I listen at the lowest level possible that still provides good sound quality), the gain is too much, even on 1 with my now departed DBA-02's.  Rob actually lowered the gain on gain I to (I think) 3 db (edit for clarity - this was done on one amp for me).  This apparently causes bass II to not sound any different from bass I, which sounds as it does normally.  This is fine with me.  I sold the DBA-02's, and my 1964ears quads probably won't be available until sometime after valentines day.  I hope it works well with them.  I love the design, form factor, crossfeed and general sound signature.  I could never listen quietly enough with the DBA-02's to get above the channel imbalance.  A nice, small, long battery life amp that is the perfect fit with my iPod touch 4G (touch actually sounds pretty nice, even compared to the iphone and diymod).  I hope the new set up works well together.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
what ver of your ARROW is it? 2G, 2.1G, 2.2G, 2.3G or 3G?

It's a 2G. Though just speaking plainly ... I think the review comments should hold true for all versions.

cheers.
.joel

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
Quote:
How would it pair with a set of SM3s?  TMA-1s?

Ask  the same question, here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/475499

No need to ask it AGAIN in that thread, lol...it's already been answered there too.  (for SM3 impressions with the Arrow, just find some of my posts in that thread)

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 29
Great review, I'm glad to see the Arrow is working out well with your SE530. I'm hoping my SE315 will also work quite nicely once my Arrow escapes the mythical stuck-in-shipping land.

Is there any chance you can expand your impressions of the Arrow with Audez'e LCD-2? Did you have a chance to compare how the Arrow drives the LCD-2 vs other amps, like your Woo 6? If so, can you give us your thoughts? Much appreciated.

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 29
Great review! Very well written...it convinced me to order the arrow amp
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 29
Joel-

Awesome review. I like the way you deal with the main issues of an amplifier review in such a down-to-earth manner. It was quite a fun read as well as being extremely useful to current and potential future owners.

Like you, I'm amazed at how it drives full size cans. My latest purchase in that area-- the Pro 900-- really shines out of the Arrow. They are noticeably harder to drive than any other headphone I've had, which makes me all the more thankful I've had the Arrow for so long now. The quality of sound I'm getting out of this little rig really is amazing... Lately I've been toying with the idea of picking up another somewhat larger amp which would just reside at my work station, but I don't seem to be moving very quickly on it every time I play music with the Arrow / Pro 900 rig! It just keeps sounding so damn good. 

A little rig pron:

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #13 of 29
Good to see the Arrow getting some love! :D Also quite a well written review! Good work!

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 29
Great,great review
beerchug.gif

( and now i want an arrow again)

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 29

Quote:
Is there any chance you can expand your impressions of the Arrow with Audez'e LCD-2? Did you have a chance to compare how the Arrow drives the LCD-2 vs other amps, like your Woo 6? If so, can you give us your thoughts? Much appreciated.

I think technically, the Woo 6 SE *and* the Raptor amp both could be said to be more capable at getting power to  the LCD-2's; also, they are an order or two more quiet than the Arrow (not that the Arrow is noisy in the least, just as quiet as any other portable I've heard but it just can't match the background silence of either of those two desktop amps). Similarly, they are better across every frequency range ... also better detail, soundstaging and imaging.

That said I did enjoy the LCD-2's with the Arrow as it allowed me to add just a touch more of the delicious low end that they offer, thereby making it just a little bit more enjoyable of a listen with the Arrow. But as mentioned in the review, the Arrow is simply  not gonna go toe to toe with the Ray Sam Raptor or the Woo 6 SE. Not a fair contest by any means.

But drive the LCD-2's well, the Arrow does. I detected no distortion and plenty of head-room when it came to available power (even on the default  gain setting).

It's similar to my experience with the AKG K701's and the Arrow amp. I've never really liked the AKG K701's. Just too "clinical" for my tastes. If the SE530's could be called approaching reference neutrality then (IMHO) the K701's could be said to be approaching "clinical" reference neutrality. If that makes any sense, I mean.

But with the Arrow amp, the K701's are amazing sounding once the bass boost is engaged (even level "II" sounds amazing). I was blow away at how much more I enjoyed the AKG's.

The AKG's did however begin to display a bit of distortion in the bass but only at levels far far louder than I would ever listen at (and I mean WAY loud; I just kept turning it up to see if/when any distortion would occur). But since it was so bloody loud, I wrote the phenomenon off as a non-issue.

As far as a dedicated amp for the LCD-2's? I'd certainly recommend a quality desktop as the go-to amp for those cans as their refinements really aren't going to shine with the Arrow (in a purely high end audio sense) as they will with a top tier solid state or tube desktop amp. But that said ... as a supplement to your desktop, the Arrow would work very well as an occasional diversion for the LCD-2's ... extremely fun listen.

Good luck.

.joel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back