Review: the Cyclone PR1 Pro - Another $50 bang/buck heavyweight
Feb 28, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #211 of 244
@Joker : have you only compared them unamped so far? PR200 have a quite higher impedance compared to pr1pro (and of course pr100), so my guess is it would greatly benefit from amping to give its best

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #212 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassThor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to get a hold of the PR1 Pro for 50$ incl shipping somewhere online? (I've already posted a WTB here on the forum).

Edit: After browsing this thread I saw that a new revision/version is coming out, anyone know when?

I'm quite sure Gyratech is the only place that stocks them and their price is closer to $60 after shipping. Posting a WTB may be your best bet but I don't know how many pairs there are out there... and how many people would be willing to sell them.

The new version you are referring to instead turned out to be a new model line - the PR100 and PR200. PR1/PR1 Pro and PR2 were discontinued last year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by archish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I been wanting to try the PR100 and PR200 but the price which they sell puts me off as I doubt they will sound any good. Its locally selling in china for about 15 USD shipped (PR100) and 25$ for PR200

I can say that the PR100 is definitely worth more than $15 but I will reserve full judgment until I give both a proper review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by david432111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look quite stylish and well built from the pictures.
Can you tell us anything about their sound signature?

They do indeed look great. Build quality is definitely improved over the PR1 with metal housings, sturdy cables, and proper strain reliefs. The double-length nozzles also make them quite comfortable as the housing never touches your ear. The drawback is microphonics - these really need to be worn over-the-ear when walking around. The J-corded PR1's were much quieter when it came to cable noise. Sorry, no full impressions on the sound yet. I need at least a week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Joker : have you only compared them unamped so far? PR200 have a quite higher impedance compared to pr1pro (and of course pr100), so my guess is it would greatly benefit from amping to give its best

No, I have not had time to try amping them yet. Hopefully they will improve a fair bit. The 32-ohm PR1 already improves a noticeable amount with a mid-range amp so I have high hopes for the PR200.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #213 of 244
Man, you need to buy some more ears. IEMs are released quicker than you can get through reviewing them
tongue.gif

[size=xx-small]Start training your girlfriend![/size]

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #214 of 244
Hi Joker, waiting for your PR100 and PR200 impressions!

Seeing that these low-budget-high-quality phones that get really much attention in Head-Fi, I am tempted to get one to see what the 'fuss' (sorry, can't think of a better word, what I mean here is a positive one) is all about.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #216 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, you need to buy some more ears. IEMs are released quicker than you can get through reviewing them
tongue.gif

[size=xx-small]Start training your girlfriend![/size]

Haha. That's an upgrade I could see myself investing in. Handy
biggrin.gif
. The girlfriend is happy with her M6-CL and (until I broke them yesterday) the earpollution nerve pipe garbage. I guess she's getting an upgrade at my expense
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Joker, waiting for your PR100 and PR200 impressions!

Seeing that these low-budget-high-quality phones that get really much attention in Head-Fi, I am tempted to get one to see what the 'fuss' (sorry, can't think of a better word, what I mean here is a positive one) is all about.

I'm trying my hardest not to start any fuss about the PR100 and PR200 as I'm not really sure about them yet. I also tried to keep the PR1 Pro low-key but that didn't work so well once a few other people tried them (and with good reason IMO). I will try to get a full review written up this week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by durden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joker, are these worn over or under the ear?

If you're referring to the PR1 Pro, they are j-corded, which makes it really hard to wear the right side over-the-ear (cord keeps popping out). The PR100 and PR200 are y-corded and can be worn either way easily.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #217 of 244
I purchased some Pr1 Pro's and Pr2 and love them both for their own distinct reasons. Hey joker do you happen to know what the difference sonically is between the Pr1 and Pr1 pro? I searched but did not see much.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #218 of 244
PR2 is actually still in sale, at least till the stock run dry.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #219 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by litigator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased some Pr1 Pro's and Pr2 and love them both for their own distinct reasons. Hey joker do you happen to know what the difference sonically is between the Pr1 and Pr1 pro? I searched but did not see much.

No, sorry - no firsthand experience. But according to my contact the PR1 Pro is just a tuned PR1 with more impedance (and also a nicer build). The extra impedance (32Ω vs 20Ω) was added to balance out the sound as well as to kill hiss with certain players. Pretty sure the differences should be similar to the differences I'm hearing between the PR100 and PR200 of which the PR200 is tuned differently and has higher impedance (55Ω vs 16Ω), which are noticeable but not drastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PR2 is actually still in sale, at least till the stock run dry.

Very true, thanks. The PR1 Pro is actually still available as well, at least from Gyrotech. I'm guessing leftover stock. A few bucks above the ebay prices but not a total tip-off.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #220 of 244
@joker, I don't want to jog around with my precious IE8, so am looking for a good sounding yet lower price IEM for my purpose.

I am not saying you started any 'fuss' (on the PR100/200 or others you have reviewed), but like ClieOs you guys really have a big collection of phones and experienced audiophiles, I am always impressed and appreciate you guys' hardwork on detailed write-ups on those phones. I would like to start a 'IE8 vs CK10 vs TF10' thread too, but I am not good in describing their features and differences in words, which might cause confusion and misleading. So I am so envy of you guys and other head-fiers to be able to state their opinion in a very clear way.

Ok I think I have to brush up my English and read more reviews and listen more to music, so that one day I am qualified to become an audiophile
beyersmile.png

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #221 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're referring to the PR1 Pro, they are j-corded, which makes it really hard to wear the right side over-the-ear (cord keeps popping out).

Don't know if you've already tried this, but the way I'm wearing j-corded phones over-ear is running the j-cord along the front side under my chin.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #222 of 244
Quote:

@joker, I don't want to jog around with my precious IE8, so am looking for a good sounding yet lower price IEM for my purpose.

I am not saying you started any 'fuss' (on the PR100/200 or others you have reviewed), but like ClieOs you guys really have a big collection of phones and experienced audiophiles, I am always impressed and appreciate you guys' hardwork on detailed write-ups on those phones. I would like to start a 'IE8 vs CK10 vs TF10' thread too, but I am not good in describing their features and differences in words, which might cause confusion and misleading. So I am so envy of you guys and other head-fiers to be able to state their opinion in a very clear way.

If you like your IE8 there is another Chinese IEM on the horizon that you may be very, very interested in as a budget backup. I haven't seen it pop up on ebay yet (plenty on taobao though) but I expect availability to become a non-issue in the near future. Stay tuned
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if you've already tried this, but the way I'm wearing j-corded phones over-ear is running the j-cord along the front side under my chin.

Yes, I've done that back in my sony earbud days. It works fine; I just can't get over the feeling that it looks like I don't know the 'right' way to wear them. It's probably just me
frown.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #224 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like your IE8 there is another Chinese IEM on the horizon that you may be very, very interested in as a budget backup. I haven't seen it pop up on ebay yet (plenty on taobao though) but I expect availability to become a non-issue in the near future. Stay tuned
biggrin.gif

Tease

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #225 of 244
Quote:

^ Oh nice news! Would you mind posting a link here?

I can't at the moment. All in due time though
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back