Review: The BIG Yuin Comparison (PK series - OK series)
May 29, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #16 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by rtimmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that the OK3's have a higher impedance and the PK2's. Are the OK2's even higher? Do you think that the OK2's will, like the PK1's, really need an amp to shine?

Hi there. The OK2 work perfectly unamped. They need the same juice as the ER4P, roughly, and around 18/28 volume on my MuVo to reach a medium to loud volume. The OK1 at 25/25 have noticeably lower volume than OK2 at 18/25.

Like many people will say, the OK2 might scale with an amp, not because of real need of power, but because an amp will provide cleaner output than the iPod. This is as true as it would be for ER4P, E500 or Triple.fi.

May 29, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by rtimmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. Now they just need to come out.

x2. Stop teasing us with the reviews.
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #19 of 75
Nice review.
Which amp did you use to drive PK1 and OK1?

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #21 of 75
***UPDATE: OK1 vs Stax SR-003***
For this comparison I used the OK1 amped with the Headsix, and the SR-003 amped with the SRM-Xh. The Xh is a vintage amp that should be better than the stock, portable SRM-001 that comes with the portable babystax, but not as good as the SRM-252 that comes with the Stax SRS-005A package.
The Headsix pairs especially well with the OK1 with its lush, warmish but very detailed sound.
The OK1 are dry, while the SR-003 are warmer, romantic, seductive, like a sunset and a red painted sky. The SR-003 are very colored, but in a very pleasant way. I prefer the SR-003 color over grado sound signature the PK1 have. The OK1 tend to add less to the music, and to let it flow freely. Both have very good soundstage and separation, but the SR-003 are in another league compared to everything else I heard. The SR-003 are electrostatic, and that's interesting how they are very detailed with a dark sound, ie no boost in the upper mids and treble (like Etymotic do). At this point, we don't need to describe the sound signature of the OK1 any further. The SR-003, instead, have an emphasis in the midbass and lower mids. The overall tone is very pleasing, but I could use less midbass. The lower treble on the Stax is perfect, slightly subdued to control sibilance, but not muted like it is with the RE1. The Yuins can be a little brash with the harshest recordings. The stax have rolled off extremes. The OK1 have more extended highs. Both the SR-003 and the RE1 lack the deepest bass. The Stax are enveloping, seductive, romantic. The OK1 are neutral, less "fun", more analytical/uncolored.
Being the Stax more resolving they make me aware of the any kind of imperfections in the track (like artifacts). This is a downside for casual listening. These artifacts can still be noticed with the OK1, but you don't feel like you are spotting them, one by one.

I prefer the Stax (pretty much to everything I have heard), but I rate both very highly: they are so different to be complementary, and I consider them to be the two single best earphones I have tried so far (I haven't listened to the UE11).
As a guess, I think the OK1 could do really well with the Lisa III and its bass knob (so that anyone could tailor the bass at his own will), or a beautiful tube amp.
The SR-003 (or the SR-001) could do a better with Audiocats modded SRM-001 (portable amp), or with the SRM-1 MkII and the SRM-313 (home stationary amps).

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #22 of 75
Excellent review, Tony.

Golly, my appetite is whetted for OK1 if they're good enough to hold their own (albeit with a different presentation) with a Stax. Many thanks!

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #23 of 75
I think the Stax can reach higher, but that would hardly happen with portable amplification. I'll keep my eyes on Audiocats modded SRM-001, or try to mod my own.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #24 of 75
I mistakenly thought at the beginning that the OK1, OK2, and OK3 would be at the same price points as PK1, PK2, and PK3. Since the OK3 is priced similarly to the PK2, I was wondering if anyone had more observations on this pairing, particularly with respect to soundstage and definition. I am in need of earbuds for when I cannot use iem's.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #27 of 75
Jul 2, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #29 of 75
I'll give you a precise answer in a few days, as I sold my basic electrostatic amp and bought a more advanced one, that's on the way. Both headphones are warm though, but the SR-003 have clearer vocals.
Careful with the Stax, though, as they turn into crap mp3 up to 192kbs and reveal any artifacts even in 320kbs mp3. Lossless is almost a must.

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #30 of 75
after almost liking my ipod buds, i have decided to get the ok2. i have a 75 ohm resistor from head-direct as well so i will look forward to hearing the 16 ohm beasts as well as the 75 easier to drive versions. wonder what the difference will be...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back