REVIEW: Swan T200B Desktop Monitors
May 19, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #31 of 74
I get absolutely nothing when I run a search, and in any case I probably wouldn't be able to audition them. Swan just aren't very big over here, fact. If they were they'd actually turn up in a search or via the online retailers.

Anyway, I made a list of what I wanted to hear that was fairly available in my part of the world, what I could audition, and then what I could fit in my limited space and used that. :)

May 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #32 of 74
     Quote:
I get absolutely nothing when I run a search, and in any case I probably wouldn't be able to audition them. Swan just aren't very big over here, fact. If they were they'd actually turn up in a search or via the online retailers.

Anyway, I made a list of what I wanted to hear that was fairly available in my part of the world, what I could audition, and then what I could fit in my limited space and used that. :)

Makes sense, I couldn't even find swan here until I was recommended to take a look at them (sure happy I did xD). I'm sure you'll enjoy anything you get xD.

ALSO: Revamped alot of the mid-range/bass, the thing is, these really do have a long break in period. These get better every day I listen to them, and I want to justify that. I will continue to update this thread as these guys mature.

May 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #33 of 74
Yeah, I mean the ones I want won the 2009 MIPA at Musikmasse, where the products are voted for by 100 industry magazines. They won best nearfield speaker. :) Don't get me wrong, I'd like to hear the Swans, but it's a similar situation to you guys being able to hear XTZ speakers. Some things just have very little presence outside their own country/region. The Swans would certainly be cheaper to buy!

Speaking of American speakers, I am absolutely dying to build some Linkwitz Plutos after reading so much about them. The Orions are well out of my budget, but the Plutos seem like an awesome semi-DIY project with outstanding cost/performance ratio I could afford in the near future. Anyway, sorry. Swans. Carry on. :D

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #34 of 74
I am finally gonna get a real pair of speakers and I am thinking about getting these.

I dont have an amp so I would just use them for music and home theater in largish (15 by 20) room.

I love my K701s for their detail and soundstage, but wish they were a bit warmer and had more bass.

Should I buy the t200b?

Thanks.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #35 of 74
If you want a warmer sound, no.

These aren't meant to be listened to in a room where you're sitting back. They're desktop speakers and work best when facing toward you sitting close to it. And since you plan to use them for home theater in a largish room, I would suggest against these. The bass is good, but it won't suit what you're going to need.

If you still want Swan and not a subwoofer, I think the M200 MkIII is best for your needs since you can change the sound right on the speakers. 6moons has done a very good review on them.

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #36 of 74
Updated my review, it is way more accurate, and looks much nicer. If anyone viewed this before I would highly recommend you reread it.

(I focused too much on rock in my last review (and for god's sake I was obsessed with the word "however"); after these babies broke in, my views changed xD)

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #37 of 74
Good thread. Any thoughts on pairing the MKII with a lower level DAC in the $150-200 range? Or if it scales up well, what is a good price range for a DAC?

This is for a computer system where I will listen mainly to lossy iTunes files, rock (Apple lossless), and any other Apple lossless files of CDs of mediocre quality.

Edited for clarity.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #38 of 74
Personal opinion...Lossy won't benifit much...I'd say for what your listening to, you don't need to stretch your budget. That isn't to say that down the line u upgrade your speakers, it would have been better to have gotten a better dac now as opposed to later.

XDA-1: http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm (You can always add a usp-1 to make it even better)

DacMagic: http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-Digital-Converter/dp/B001QFOG58

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #40 of 74

Quote:
I ended up ordering the M200MKIII from Lockware. 

Great choice man, you will cry when you hear how beautiful swan speakers sound xD

Btw if your still interested in a cheaper dac, I've heard good things about this one: http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-uDAC-2-Black-Headphone-24bit/dp/B003Y5FRNS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310967341&sr=1-2

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #41 of 74

Quote:
Great choice man, you will cry when you hear how beautiful swan speakers sound xD

Btw if your still interested in a cheaper dac, I've heard good things about this one: http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-uDAC-2-Black-Headphone-24bit/dp/B003Y5FRNS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310967341&sr=1-2

I've decided to forego the cheap dac option--not sure which dac I'm going with yet. Ground shipping from the east coast is going to take forever.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #42 of 74
Just got a umc-1 to pair with these guys (gonna be going HT soon anyway).

Huge improvement in both sq and clarity. Bass is really tight and articulate. Mid-range really opened up to some nice clarity with a much bigger sound stage. Treble became even better then before, and I didn't think that was possible. The sound became more 3D, which is what i was hoping for.

Equing made them perfect, turn the treble down a bit, mid bass down a bit, and low midrange up just a bit, and ur good to go!

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #43 of 74

Quote:
This one's a great sub test:

As is this, those 10hz 'mines' have ruined many a speaker!

Wow my modded BX5's can handle the lowest note on the top one & be audible at 1/2 volume.I did have to  crank it a bit to make it audible but not excessively. The notes on the bottom one are a bit lower on average it seems but are also buried by louder midrange sounds. Obviously these speakers will never make 10 Hz audible but niether will any other either. 10Hz is not directly audible to the human ear. These speaker do handle the 10Hz signal quite well as far as not bottoming out at high volume though, then again at less than 50 watts power amp capability I would not expect most speaker to bottom out

One of the mods done to these speakers was D.C. coupling the woofer amps & secondly removing the subsonic filter. The tweeter amp is D.C. capable in term of amplification but the nessesry item such as the crossover blocks D.C. from getting to the tweeter amp. Thats ok as you don't actually want any D.C. on the drivers but having the amps that have that capability seems to remove a lot of coloration & radically improve the soundstage with recording that were designed to capture the soundstage anyway.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #44 of 74

Quote:
 One of the mods done to these speakers was D.C. coupling the woofer amps & secondly removing the subsonic filter. The tweeter amp is D.C. capable in term of amplification but the nessesry item such as the crossover blocks D.C. from getting to the tweeter amp. Thats ok as you don't actually want any D.C. on the drivers but having the amps that have that capability seems to remove a lot of coloration & radically improve the soundstage with recording that were designed to capture the soundstage anyway.

What you've done is dangerous. The subsonic filter is there and caps are there for a reason. If your source passes through DC (can happen with computer sound cards), there's no protection for your tweeter and woofer. As for the subsonic filter, it is there to filter out the really low frequencies that can bottom out and kill your woofer. Tread cautiously.

Anyway, your speakers didn't 'handle' 10hz; all you heard was harmonic distortion from the amp, woofer or both.

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #45 of 74

Quote:
What you've done is dangerous. The subsonic filter is there and caps are there for a reason. If your source passes through DC (can happen with computer sound cards), there's no protection for your tweeter and woofer. As for the subsonic filter, it is there to filter out the really low frequencies that can bottom out and kill your woofer. Tread cautiously.

Anyway, your speakers didn't 'handle' 10hz; all you heard was harmonic distortion from the amp, woofer or both.

I made no claim of even audibility of 10 Hz & 10 Hz would not be audible anyway no matter the speaker. As to the cap issues & the D.C. coupling as well as the removal of the subsonic filter I have been doing these things for years & I have never seen a computer soundcard fail in a way that put out huge D.C.. They just seem to cause problems with the functioning of the computer itself it seems due to data corruption when the processor starts going on the soundcard (all X-Fi based cards I've had). I have analysed the amp to woofer perameters & determined before hand that bottoming the woofer in my current setup would not be an issue I had to contend with (not enough power)

I poted the post basically to say that curren generation of 5" woofers can put out an amazing amount of bass for thier size

Also I would appreciate reading the whole post before addressing me as most of the issues you brought up about my post pertaining to what I claim were clear the way I posted them that I was not for example claiming audibility of 10Hz , quite the contrary I made it clear in my post that I was referring to not bottoming the speaker in spite of the removal of the subsonic filter. As to the tweeter I mentioned that the crossover was still intact for the tweeter in that outside D.C. could not reach the tweeter. Yes the tweeter amp is capable of D.C. amplification but D.C. is not allowed to get to the amp from any source.D.C. can get to the woofer amp though & I measured the D.C. offset & it was low enough to not be a concern.

Consider this, there are big name amplifier companies that do D.C. coupling as well. This is not as unusual practice as you may think & it is my personal feeling that it produces the best most neutral sound. I have taken amps that were very colored before hand & D.C. coupled them & they sounded identical to the source afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back