[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Apr 12, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #466 of 911
Wow...would have to try that but doesn't that move the driver away from the ear quite a bit? Any negatives to SQ?

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #468 of 911
Any opinions on the foam mod for the evo v2? (the one that comes with velvet pads)
I remember reading somewhere it wasn't needed anymore but can't find it so no sure. Still I really want to try it. Is there any known way to safely put the discs back on in case it's not appreciated? :xf_eek:

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #469 of 911
I removed the felt and I can already tell the sound stage is better. I don't find the treble as annoying as I can have read even tho it does tweak them up fairly. Liking it so far :)

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #470 of 911
If the treble gets a little annoying, you can replace the felt with a thinner felt...

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #471 of 911
i`ve bought the HD681 EVO White, but i`ve not arrived yet.
A Asus DGX would make it sound better than my cheap onboard ? ( Motherboard is a MSI H77MA-G43 )

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #472 of 911
Yes it will. My DX clearly improved the sound from my onboard, I had older realtek integrated tho. 892 (ones on yours) are getting decent reviews it seems. Anyway you'll have a huge boost in volume capacity too considering the dgx got an amp.

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #473 of 911
I bet that once you put on the 681 EVO you will gain much better sound even on your onboard audio provided with good source. I read some post before regarding some good user reviews on DGX vs onboard which improves quality and had much improvement using Asus STX but with higher cost.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #475 of 911
Yeah, i think the STX is too expensive for the EVO, probably going to buy an DGX  
L3000.gif

Thx.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #476 of 911
Hello, fellow Superlux fans!
I have a question. Do you guys hear anything terribly wrong with the mids/bass of your EVOs? I've been reading through a lot of websites lately, mainly to look into mods, earpads, etc when I found this thread outside Head fi saying the EVOs have an unpleasant 'midbass hump' with an 'unwelcome upper mids spike,' coupled with hissy sibilance issues that ultimately forced someone to return their pair. I was a bit surprised, since my pair was sonorous OOTB and sounded way good throughout the spectrum, I really don't notice any of those... And sibilance? I find them pretty warm and non-fatiguing. How's everyone elses opinion, though?

Noob question: can i simply paste an external link on thread posts? Thanks!

Regards,

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #477 of 911
Maybe he got the version 1 of these... and IMO the fatiguing part is when you remove the felt in front of the drivers and the sound becomes more airy and clearer. If you don't like the fatiguing highs, you can replace the felt with a thinner material or do a high filter mod.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #478 of 911
eeeh. After only a couple days use (1 week?!) My evo has gone back to the muddy state it was OOTB. Anyone ever experienced that? I haven't used it at any super loud volume yet it seems like my drivers are damaged, the sound comes out sort of ringing/muddy. I've mainly been listening to rock/metal these past two days could that be it? :| I'm scared lol.

EDIT: Eh, had a huge clip and then it went back to above average. Basses are booming a lot more since still getting a bit of a muddy mid/bass but I guess burn in period isn't over

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #479 of 911
  eeeh. After only a couple days use (1 week?!) My evo has gone back to the muddy state it was OOTB. Anyone ever experienced that? I haven't used it at any super loud volume yet it seems like my drivers are damaged, the sound comes out sort of ringing/muddy. I've mainly been listening to rock/metal these past two days could that be it? :| I'm scared lol.

EDIT: Eh, had a huge clip and then it went back to above average. Basses are booming a lot more since still getting a bit of a muddy mid/bass but I guess burn in period isn't over

After many hours logged, I haven't experienced the phase that you've noted.  Unless, I haven't reached that stage yet or my hearing is different.  The Evos leak just a small amount and there are times when my wife notes it and then tells me to turn down the volume.  It's not nearly like it was with fully open headphones though.

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #480 of 911
  Yeah, i think the STX is too expensive for the EVO, probably going to buy an DGX  
L3000.gif

Thx.

While the Asus cards do offer a good sound quality and value - one can easily opt for some of the Asus cards above $150 on up to $499.  However, do keep in mind, most motherboards with the on-board sound card options usually have an optical output.  I've found that having a DAC which accepts an optical input can be the best value.  If you're not a gamer and don't need the best sound card, the optical will send a very clean and pure signal so your DAC and amp can do the rest of the work.  The savings from not purchasing a sound card can be applied towards the cost of your DAC.  Your sound quality will be better, too.

With that said, I still have my trusty $29 Asus sound card in my computer as I use it for routing the standard computer output to my desktop speakers.  This keeps the optical dedicated for my music.  I realize that one can configure the outputs where Foobar would use the defined output - e.g. optical and the standard output could be sent to the speakers.  In my case, it just seemed easier to keep each process handled by the respective sound devices.  I've found that using the optical output can be a bit of less interrupted sound session too.  The USB outputs for sound to the DAC and amp can bog down a bit depending on system processes.  This of course can be remedied by adjusting the buffer in Foobar for Wasapi accordingly.  I've just found that the optical output took a bit less tweaking on the buffer though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back