[Review] Sunrise SW-Xcape
Sep 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

shigzeo

The Hiss King

I've got a full review of the SW-Xcape going at TouchMyApps now. Like the AS-Charm and AS-Feeling, I feel that it is a GREAT value among inner earphones. It has a bit more treble emphasis than the Charm or Feeling but retains a full, strong bass, even down to sub-bass levels as heard in Mainstage. Treble extension is well and good over 17Hz, but piddles out a bit before then and peaks slightly also in the high midrange. 

If you want a fun, full sounding earphone, this is it. 

It is 32Ω which is okay, but I'd prefer an earphone with 80-100Ω so that just about any portable could get the best bass response out of it. As it is, you will need either an iPod (modern one), a Sansa Fuze or Clip, or a semi-recent Sony to really get the best out of it. Yes, yes yes, S:Flo2 will be fine. There is hiss, but not as much as some other 32Ω earphones - certainly nothing that makes these stand out.

The Xcape is made well enough, but I take issue with the y-split that seems a bit too tight on the cables inside. I predict there will be cracked y-splits after a bit of rub-n-tug usage. Apart from that, the cable is pretty good: quiet, but will harden and crack with time.

Overall, this earphone is about the sound. Check out the full review for pics of accessories and relief in action. 

Sound
As noted above, the Xcape is a fun-sounding earphone that really proves how far the market has come in just a couple of years. It fits more comfortably than the Sleek SA1, but otherwise, is worthy of compare. Both earphones hit the same MRSP price bracket and come with great accessories. But, where the SA1 sounds small and loses detail in some music, the Xcape never fails to go ‘bam!’ in all the right tickle spots.

I’ve come to expect pretty good extension from Sunrise’s earphones. The Xcape hits 45Hz with no problem and drops ever so slightly away toward 20Hz, but overall sustains a good, flat lower frequency range at the ear. Highs jolt up before 12kHz and the signal stays strong till after 17kHz with drop off afterward. In other words, with a nod toward the treble, the Xcape does a good job of emulating the ear’s own acoustics. What this means in everyday use, of course is a slight v-curve to help you keep your music at reasonable volume levels.

Here’re some real-world examples: Markus Schulz’s Mainstage, a mainstay performer here at TouchMyApps, is an intro of a song hinged on very low bass. Surprise surprise, the 80$ Xcape can resolve the first 10 or 20 seconds of the song, a feat that the Sleek SA1 couldn’t do as well. But trance (and most other music) isn’t all about the barely audible 20-50Hz sine wave. Stepping up to the world of lowly-voiced PRAT in the 80-120Hz range, the Xcape keeps up happily, never ever smearing mid and upper bass. Hands down, it is more balanced in the lower half of the frequency than the Sleek.

In the midrange, there is a slight sheen on both male and female vocals. You’ll hear these mostly on higher-pitched vocals. This sheen extends into percussion and electric strings. There is a LOT of energy in the vocal range. On the one hand, it is exciting and fun, but on the other hand, it can at times, sound strained. I think that a lot of reviewers may describe it as ‘detail’ or clarity. Indeed, I get the impression that the minty breaths ofNick Cave, will pop up between his dark rhymes. The truth, however, is that you cannot hear them, oh well. What it does for music depends on your tastes. For most male vocals, its effect is negligible, but moving up to EminemThe Streets, or Shaggy 
" class="wp-smiley" src="http://www.touchmyapps.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif" /> , you’ll experience Ultrasone moments where the high midrange ‘tweaks’ a bit in your ears.

Despite a lot of midrange energy, sibilance isn’t a problem. Rather, there is just a lot of chunky, meaty sound in there. Acoustic guitars, which come to the foreground, centre acoustic music. The vocals, of Nick Cave, for instance play nicely with the back up instruments in The Boatman’s Call. Moving onto modern alternative like Broken Social Scene shows where the Xcape’s trumped up midrange can get a little hot. With so much confusion in the wild instrument arrangements, the Xcape just swarms with sound. There is no real way to tame Broken Social Scene, and the Xcape missteps only a small amount with this Toronto group’s more chaotic songs.

On the other hand, transitions between high frequencies and the midrange are smooth and clever. The Xcape casts a pretty good shadow between the midrange and anything else. You get very clear instrument separation and a decent illusion of space. The soundstage tends to wrap from the side of the head to the back rather than toward the front. Every earphone is different, and for the most part, the Xcape sticks to its guns rather than forging new paths, but the guns it sticks to, are realistic and fun.

Finally, the Xcape isn’t overly sensitive. Of course you won’t hear hiss from a modern iPod, but even the older iPod shuffle 1G’s horrid hiss is somewhat tamed when played through the Xcape and if you are very brave, the HiSound AMP3 Pro2 even, is somewhat listenable. You also won’t need an amp to get volume or resolution with the Xcape unless you are stuck with an old iPod or you know, an ‘audiophile’ unit from Microsoft, Cowon, or iRiver. 
" class="wp-smiley" src="http://www.touchmyapps.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif" />

GRAB rating 4/5

Again, full review of the Sunrise SW-Xcape at TouchMyApps

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 12
It really is a good earphone, one that gives the t-Jays a good run for their money, one which puts the Sleek SA1 to shame, and performs at the top of its price bracket. Again, the only thing I'd really change is the y-split so that more space is given inside to protect it from splitting itself. 

Great earphones.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 12
Feb 1, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 12
I think this iem is awesome!   It really is my first iem, chosen by a great deal of reading and rereading of Joker's reviews to determine my sound signature.   When they arrived I was very disappointed by their lean sound across all frequencies, yet after 40 hrs of burn-in  they filled in beautifully, and after 100 hours plus they filled in even more.    I haven't noticed a sheen around voices or highs- if there was burn-in resolved it.  What I did notice and am still pleasantly surprised by is the clarity, separation and above all smoothness in its ability to handle transitions.  Instruments and voices are so clear, and I view this iem as a straight line with a very neutral response.  While I feel the bass could be heavier overall,  the bass "impact" on better recordings vs older "classic rock"(which I mostly listen to) is there and the extreme low sub- bass is very solid and full.  In particular there is a beautiful extended air around all voices and midrange overall and even highs have that unveiled sound.  In terms of amps, I  feel that the ibasso t3 with the touch 4.2 could actually decrease with the sound quality of this iem by slightly lowering the bass and lowering the "extended air" I hear around voices and instruments with poor recordings. 

From what I've heard the Xcapes are more midrange in focus while the DBA's focus is more on the high end.  It appears the DBA's are the next step up from the Xcapes(amazing that for $80 this iem is rated just below the $160 DBA) and I am very eager to see how much closer to the DBA's is to the new Xcapes(version2 which just came out)?   Perhaps NCT can share some insight on this?

(After getting these I wanted to erase all doubt in terms of sound signature that best fit me, so I bought and returned the Monster Turbines,  Kipsch S4 and the Phonak Extra Bass and Beyerdynamic DTX 80( from soundearphones).   The Monsters and Klipsch weren't my kind of sound with the bass intruding into the clarity of everything else and limited soundstage, the Phonak Extra's bass was more refined than the Monster and Klipsch, but while the phonak is more analytical, it didn't offer the smoothness in all frequencies as the Xcape.   The only iem that really jumped out at me was the Beyers, a step up in clarity over the Klipsch and Turbines, much more fun and exciting, but much narrower soundstage than the Xcape.   If I had kept another I would have kept the Beyer- they are that good compared to the others-except the Xcapes, IMHO.)

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
 From what I've heard the Xcapes are more midrange in focus while the DBA's focus is more on the high end.  It appears the DBA's are the next step up from the Xcapes(amazing that for $80 this iem is rated just below the $160 DBA) and I am very eager to see how much closer to the DBA's is to the new Xcapes(version2 which just came out)?  

In my ears, the DBA's are neutral across the spectrum like the Xcape but notably more transparent. They extend a little farther into the sub-bass with more texture/timbre on the lowest notes, but a little less rumble and impact. The DBA seems to be cleaner and effortless in the upper range as well.  My rather old ears don't notice a "high end" emphasis with either one, but the DBA's provide more instrument separation, while the Xcapes seem more cohesive. They seem remarkable similar (which is good since I bought the Xcapes as a backup when I damaged both pairs of DBA's within a month - now fixed), but I pick up the DBA's much more often.

I see that ClieOS' first impression of Xcape V2 is warmer, and more mid-centric. Since the Xcape V2's lack the tapered housing of the V1, I'd be concerned that they'd be less comfortable with deep insertion, which is how I wear them with the stock single flange tips.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 12
I had the SW-Xcape for a little over a month.  I found them to be very similar to the RE0, but a bit more receptive to low end EQ to sound a bit fuller and weightier -- not tons more, but satisfying.  I sold them only because for some time I had been deciding between trying the Ety ER4 or HF5.  The recent up-tick in the ER4 price forced me to the HF5, which once it arrived, I found it to be a step up from the SW-Xcape in several areas -- sound, form, reputation for reliability.  But, for $80, the SW-Xcape is a huge bargain compared to many other IEMs in the that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back