Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Apr 27, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #376 of 2,566
 U must be excited :wink: Looking forward to your impressions. I got a feeling DX100 + 5 way is gonna be one of the best combo ever! :wink:
Quote:

heheh! My SE-5s are on the delivery van right now, whilst I'm at work! 
wink_face.gif

Yeah, the Miracles are very talented but I feel they lack texture sometimes. Interesting that you feel the same way. However, perhaps this is why people so often describe BA midrange frequencies as 'liquid' ?

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #378 of 2,566
clip zip, 801+ game, ipod classic. Of course 801+game sounds the best, but I wish it can just be a tiny bit brighter for 5 way which I am sure dx100 will offer
Quote:

Hi tupac - what do you drive your SE-5s with?

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #379 of 2,566

Quote:
...801+game sounds the best, but I wish it can just be a tiny bit brighter for 5 way which I am sure dx100 will offer

Interesting - well, iBasso have just released an updated firmware for the DX100, which seems to have softened the treble of the DX100 a little bit (it's not 'soft', it's just softer than it previously was). I'll certainly let you know my impressions of the combination. I think, above all else, the main strength of the DX100-SE-5 combination will probably be detail retrieval.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #380 of 2,566
 Yeah, crazy detail and scary resolution :wink:
Quote:

Interesting - well, iBasso have just released an updated firmware for the DX100, which seems to have softened the treble of the DX100 a little bit (it's not 'soft', it's just softer than it previously was). I'll certainly let you know my impressions of the combination. I think, above all else, the main strength of the DX100-SE-5 combination will probably be detail retrieval.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #381 of 2,566

Quote:

heheh! My SE-5s are on the delivery van right now, whilst I'm at work! 
wink_face.gif

Yeah, the Miracles are very talented but I feel they lack texture sometimes. Interesting that you feel the same way. However, perhaps this is why people so often describe BA midrange frequencies as 'liquid' ?

Yeah, it's interesting to see people describe same property with opposite adjectives. Recently I bought a Beyerdynamic t5p because in the chinese forum "erji", a reputable member described the t5p and dx100 are best partners, after hearing the combo, now I think my Miracles are bass heavy...and because the resolution of the t5ps are very high, the Miracles in comparison are not so clear in hearing which makes me wondering if my miracles are broken by burning in. I don't have that muddy feeling about the miracle prior listening to that...
confused_face.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #382 of 2,566

Quote:
clip zip, 801+ game, ipod classic. Of course 801+game sounds the best, but I wish it can just be a tiny bit brighter for 5 way which I am sure dx100 will offer

For portability, ease of use, durability and sound quality I bet you the Studio V would be amazing, easily replacing your Classic and Zip while the DX100 would smash your Hifiman :wink:.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #383 of 2,566
:) Thanks. Hifiman + Game, on the other hand sounds stunning with JH audio IEMs.  I heard game card is actually tuned with a pair of JH13. I don't think DX100 can smash that easily.

Will check out Studio V......80 hrs playback? wow...
Quote:

For portability, ease of use, durability and sound quality I bet you the Studio V would be amazing, easily replacing your Classic and Zip while the DX100 would smash your Hifiman :wink:.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #384 of 2,566

Quote:
:) Thanks. Hifiman + Game, on the other hand sounds stunning with JH audio IEMs.  I heard game card is actually tuned with a pair of JH13. I don't think DX100 can smash that easily.

Will check out Studio V......80 hrs playback? wow...

80 hours playback is with mp3 though. With flac its up to 55 hours which is really good. Keep in mind you won't get this letting the Studio V run for days without rest. If you use it in 5 hour intervals or even more, you'll get up to 55 hours playback with lossless music. I haven't recharged my Studio V in well over a month now. I still won't be surprised if the DX100 kills the Hifiman though. There's a couple DX100 owners who also own the Hifiman and they found the Hifiman 801 "laughable" in comparison, give or take the Chinese humor :wink:.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #385 of 2,566
Haha. Yeah I have been reading those reviews. I also heard lots of people saying how "ball-painful" the DX100's control is (chinese humor), how many bugs that it has and how hot can DX100 gets to use it as a portable heater on erji.net:wink:

Actually I would be happy with either of those I think. But neither is my final pick for portable using because of the hopeless battery. I put my hope on 901.
 Quote:

80 hours playback is with mp3 though. With flac its up to 55 hours which is really good. Keep in mind you won't get this letting the Studio V run for days without rest. If you use it in 5 hour intervals or even more, you'll get up to 55 hours playback with lossless music. I haven't recharged my Studio V in well over a month now. I still won't be surprised if the DX100 kills the Hifiman though. There's a couple DX100 owners who also own the Hifiman and they found the Hifiman 801 "laughable" in comparison, give or take the Chinese humor :wink:.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #386 of 2,566
To be honest if the Studio V had no hiss I would have ended my search for portable high quality music. The V really is that good and while the DX100 is better than it, the Studio V can even give the DX100 a run for it's money with IEMs. Considering what I paid for the V and the DX100, Diminishing returns is involved.

Regarding the bugs, with the new update I have to say the DX100 is really shaping up to become "the Audiophile DAP". I do look forward to Hifimans iteration. Would be nice if they get it right from the start. They would be the first, but I still have my doubts they won't be plagued with issues from the start.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #387 of 2,566

Quote:
To be honest if the Studio V had no hiss I would have ended my search for portable high quality music. The V really is that good and while the DX100 is better than it, the Studio V can even give the DX100 a run for it's money with IEMs. Considering what I paid for the V and the DX100, Diminishing returns is involved.

Regarding the bugs, with the new update I have to say the DX100 is really shaping up to become "the Audiophile DAP". I do look forward to Hifimans iteration. Would be nice if they get it right from the start. They would be the first, but I still have my doubts they won't be plagued with issues from the start.

I agree. I also tend to keep my Studio-V for portable use. It fits better in my jeans :) But at home it is no problem to put DX100 on a table or in the couch.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #388 of 2,566
If I wanna lie in bed and listen to music I'm more likely to use my Studio V as I'd be afraid to break my DX100 in my sleep lol. The Studio V is more likely to injure me than me it :wink:.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #389 of 2,566
Well, folks, I've only had my SE-5 running for 10 minutes, so don't take the following as gospel, it's just preliminary impressions (I've now taken them out of my ears and am 'burning them in' at the moment (not listening to them):

It's too early to say, because the sound may change, but my preliminary impressions, in comparison to the UM Miracle, are:

SE-5 don't project vocals as much as the Miracle
SE-5 midrange sounds drier than Miracle
SE-5 cymbals sound better-rendered than they do on the Miracle
SE-5 guitar strings are rendered slightly more realistically than the Miracle
SE-5 soundstage is much smaller than Miracle (which is a pity, as I do love this about the Miracles)
SE-5 soundstage quite narrow by comparison with Miracle
SE-5 bass seems slightly more potent than the Miracle
SE-5 is, as I expected, a bit more detailed than the Miracle

But I must stress, this is very, very early impressions, and sound is likely to change as BAs burn-in.

They're quite tricky to get into my ears, because the silicone is quite 'sticky', so I may need to buy some lubricant

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #390 of 2,566

Don't be surprised if the above impressions change somewhat, after the SE-5s have 'burned-in' a bit...

I wouldn't have posted impressions so early-on but for the fact that I promised earlier today that I would, so I'm being true to my word, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back