Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Apr 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #361 of 2,566
Wow, I'm impressed by Grzegorz's response to the price complaints. Not only has he regained my interested, but now I'm moving from research mode to early planning mode, especially as LCD-3 production still looks absolutely hopeless. Unlike Audeze, Grzegorz sounds like he might be able to provide the premium product and service his pricepoint dictates. Can't wait for more reviews to come in...

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #362 of 2,566
 Yeah He has always been really helpful and responsive:wink: I am currenting waiting for his emails too
wink.gif

haven't followed that thread for a long time? still has issues on the driver failures and veiled sound?
Quote:
Wow, I'm impressed by Grzegorz's response to the price complaints. Not only has he regained my interested, but now I'm moving from research mode to early planning mode, especially as LCD-3 production still looks absolutely hopeless. Unlike Audeze, Grzegorz sounds like he might be able to provide the premium product and service his pricepoint dictates. Can't wait for more reviews to come in...

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #363 of 2,566
Apr 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #364 of 2,566

Quote:
 Yeah He has always been really helpful and responsive:wink: I am currenting waiting for his emails too
wink.gif

haven't followed that thread for a long time? still has issues on the driver failures and veiled sound?

Yup, all the time. I thought most of the issues would've been dealt with since the admittance of an issue by Audeze and the new March shipment but it's ongoing. Not only is it veiled sound but crackling drivers, vacuum-pressured earpads and just general fail.

Way back people thought it might be an issue with damping or with the pads but I suspect Audeze have a tough time keeping the new drivers under adequate tension. A lot of the descriptions of 'veiled sound' include wobbly bass in greater quantities, tamer treble, lack of details and slower everything (transients, etc). Then mwilson posted that he had a unveiled pair that lost it's peak performance in a week.

Some of the original crowd seems to be ditching the LCD-3's with their multitudes of issues for a Stax set up, like purrin and mwilson.

I wish it were over but I'm done holding my breath. No way in hell am I plonking down over 2 grand for all that crap.

That's why my new interest is in the 5-way. If it can best the LCD-2 (which sounds amazing to me - only headphones which instantly has me tapping my foot and closing my eyes with a smile to date) then I am definitely interested in it. Can't wait for more reviews.

I think I'll drop by Poznan next time I'm in Poland. Make things simpler with no shipping or customs troubles. Does anyone happen to know what the turn around time is for a pair? A day, a few days, a week?

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #365 of 2,566

Quote:

Yup, all the time. I thought most of the issues would've been dealt with since the admittance of an issue by Audeze and the new March shipment but it's ongoing. Not only is it veiled sound but crackling drivers, vacuum-pressured earpads and just general fail.

Way back people thought it might be an issue with damping or with the pads but I suspect Audeze have a tough time keeping the new drivers under adequate tension. A lot of the descriptions of 'veiled sound' include wobbly bass in greater quantities, tamer treble, lack of details and slower everything (transients, etc). Then mwilson posted that he had a unveiled pair that lost it's peak performance in a week.

Some of the original crowd seems to be ditching the LCD-3's with their multitudes of issues for a Stax set up, like purrin and mwilson.

I wish it were over but I'm done holding my breath. No way in hell am I plonking down over 2 grand for all that crap.

That's why my new interest is in the 5-way. If it can best the LCD-2 (which sounds amazing to me - only headphones which instantly has me tapping my foot and closing my eyes with a smile to date) then I am definitely interested in it. Can't wait for more reviews.

I think I'll drop by Poznan next time I'm in Poland. Make things simpler with no shipping or customs troubles. Does anyone happen to know what the turn around time is for a pair? A day, a few days, a week?

What the need to do then is drop the prices and make them reasonably priced. Maybe $1,300 max. I think at these exorbitant prices I'd rather just save up and go for the very best (SR009)

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #366 of 2,566

Quote:

What the need to do then is drop the prices and make them reasonably priced. Maybe $1,300 max. I think at these exorbitant prices I'd rather just save up and go for the very best (SR009)

Agreed. They obviously can't live up to what they want to charge. But then again, at $1,300 I wouldn't accept the multitude of issues either. They should just stop manufacturing them until ALL problems are gone. I know they tried this earlier but it obviously didn't work. I feel like they're scamming people now, selling them faulty headphones. Audeze of all people should know all the issues they have because all their customers contact them about it.

Oh, and one last thing that pissed me off. One member contacted them concerning the uncomfortable suction the pads created. I think it was in the "Just got the LCD-3's and first impressions are..." thread. They replied with "The "suction effect" you are referring to will occur with any open backed headphone. The ear pads have nothing to do with this. This effect is normal with open backed headphones."

That's just not true. I have several open backed headphones and tried several more and none exhibited a suction effect. I've only ever heard of this happening on the LCD-3 thread. My interpretation is that Audeze are either stupid or lying, and neither are very positive reflections of the company.

But I digress. I'm glad Grzegorz has gone with an analogue sound signature similar to the LCD-2's. I received an email from him recently concerning the efficiency and sensitivity of the 5-way and he said:

"5-way's have been designed not to be too sensitive/efficient and they are not that easy to drive. They can be of course successfully used with quality portable devices but they can definitely show a lot more when driven by quality stationary equipment. It's in fact the case with all SE monitors and they are not as sensitive as their counterparts. That was also my idea when designing them."

I like that.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #367 of 2,566
Apr 27, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #368 of 2,566

Quote:

Agreed. They obviously can't live up to what they want to charge. But then again, at $1,300 I wouldn't accept the multitude of issues either. They should just stop manufacturing them until ALL problems are gone. I know they tried this earlier but it obviously didn't work. I feel like they're scamming people now, selling them faulty headphones. Audeze of all people should know all the issues they have because all their customers contact them about it.

Oh, and one last thing that pissed me off. One member contacted them concerning the uncomfortable suction the pads created. I think it was in the "Just got the LCD-3's and first impressions are..." thread. They replied with "The "suction effect" you are referring to will occur with any open backed headphone. The ear pads have nothing to do with this. This effect is normal with open backed headphones."

That's just not true. I have several open backed headphones and tried several more and none exhibited a suction effect. I've only ever heard of this happening on the LCD-3 thread. My interpretation is that Audeze are either stupid or lying, and neither are very positive reflections of the company.

But I digress. I'm glad Grzegorz has gone with an analogue sound signature similar to the LCD-2's. I received an email from him recently concerning the efficiency and sensitivity of the 5-way and he said:

"5-way's have been designed not to be too sensitive/efficient and they are not that easy to drive. They can be of course successfully used with quality portable devices but they can definitely show a lot more when driven by quality stationary equipment. It's in fact the case with all SE monitors and they are not as sensitive as their counterparts. That was also my idea when designing them."

I like that.

I may really have to consider getting a pair of these. In fact I intend to down the road. I still think the Heir 8A or MG6Pro will be my first High end Custom IEM though.

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #371 of 2,566

Quote:

It would be difficult for me to comment on a dap without hearing it, wouldn't you agree? But yes, I have had the pleasure for several hours. So no guessing here. Just love :)

I also will be putting this exact combination to the test, this evening, all being well (DX100 + SE-5).

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #373 of 2,566

Quote:
How did you find se 5 way compare to miracle under dx100?
wink.gif

I'll let you know some first impressions when I've had some time to compare them. I don't have my SE-5s yet.

I may be wrong, but I'm anticipating a more 'textured' sound from the SE-5s, with more treble extension and slightly meatier bass than the Miracles.

However, the Miracles do have a nice big soundstage, and the SE-5s might, perhaps have a slightly smaller soundstage. I don't know. ...but if all goes to plan, I soon will!

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #374 of 2,566

Quote:

I'll let you know some first impressions when I've had some time to compare them. I don't have my SE-5s yet.

I may be wrong, but I'm anticipating a more 'textured' sound from the SE-5s, with more treble extension and slightly meatier bass than the Miracles.

However, the Miracles do have a nice big soundstage, and the SE-5s might, perhaps have a slightly smaller soundstage. I don't know. ...but if all goes to plan, I soon will!

Lol, I thought you already had the se-5, but thanks, I look forward to your impressions! Sometimes I think my Miracles are too smooth...

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #375 of 2,566

Quote:

Lol, I thought you already had the se-5, but thanks, I look forward to your impressions! Sometimes I think my Miracles are too smooth...

heheh! My SE-5s are on the delivery van right now, whilst I'm at work! 
wink_face.gif

Yeah, the Miracles are very talented but I feel they lack texture sometimes. Interesting that you feel the same way. However, perhaps this is why people so often describe BA midrange frequencies as 'liquid' ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back