Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Apr 25, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #346 of 2,566
Has anyone enquired about the difference in sound between the different models?

Such as one of them being more neutral than the others, one of them being more mid-centric and so forth. Figured I'd ask here before I contact SE.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #347 of 2,566
I went through my emails with Grzegorz, have listened to jokers 3-way (it isn't fitted for me, so I can only get a very general sound flavor) and my experience with the 5-way for the following:

Per Grzegorz all of his monitors have an "analogue-sound flavor," and the overall sound of the lineup is liquid and natural.

The 4-way is more bass heavy than the 5-way, and not quite as refined or extended in the treble.  

Per Grzegorz there is "quite a difference between 3-way and 5-way," with the 5-way being warmer as it is built from "the bass up" but are neutral and natural.  The extension isn't what it is with the 5-way and there isn't as much bass capability.  

The 2-way pro is also on the warmish side of things according and liquid per Grzegorz who also said they are "built around from the bass up."  Grzegorz likens these to the ACS T2.

Here are some other forums that discuss the SE products:
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=review&action=display&thread=6665&page=2
http://hoved-fi.dk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=131
http://forum.mp3store.pl/topic/48839-2-way-custom-iem-review/page__p__537152__hl__+customy++themadcub__fromsearch__1#entry537152

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #348 of 2,566
Thanks alot, average_joe. Plenty of great reads for me there.

I think people often make the mistake of getting the "top" product thinking it will be superior compared in every way compared to the cheaper alternatives from the same company, not considering that the products may very well be quite different in sound by design, and not just because of "cheaper materials".

I feel ashamed I didn't think of Hoved-Fi myself, considering it's the "native" head-fi site of Denmark.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #350 of 2,566
It's been several months since I read Claus-DK's discussion of the SE-2,3,5s, but re-reading, I noticed a detail I didn't notice previously. Google Translate doesn't work very well with Danish, but I think he was quoting Grzegorz (and please note that I have slightly para-phrased what Google Translate gave me, into clearer English, so it's not 100% exactly what Claus-DK posted): Claus-DK's post from June 23rd 2011 http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=da&tl=en&u=http://hoved-fi.dk/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D11%26t%3D131 "The 5-Ways can naturally go up to the limits of one's hearing... They produce a sound without a roll-off to Least beyond Perceived 23.5 kHz."

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #351 of 2,566
Why would you need google translate when the original text is in English? :|

Quote:
As far as comparing the monitors, I'd say it's quite a difference between 3-way Reference and 5-way Reference. But then again, it's my opinion and I haven't heard anything better than 5-way. 3-way's are, in my opinion, very good too and these were my primary and only monitors for more than two years until I came up with the 5-way's. They share some similarities of audio reproduction, i.e. their presentation is neautral and natural. The 3-way's, however, build their sound signature from the bass up, which makes them warmer in comparison with the 5-way. Everything is in place, liquid and natural but as if to look at the same thing from a different angle and perspective slightly. 5-way's are a lot more more refined in the whole spectrum and it's clearly audible, but 3-way's are nevertheless good as well, I think. 5-way's, in comparison, have even deeper bass response (though the deepest notes are activated when they are in the recording), the mids are extended in a huge amount and the highs as well. The 5-ways can naturally go up to the limits of one's hearing as they can produce a sound without a roll-off at least beyond perceived 23,5kHz. In comparison to 3-way's they are more flat and balanced to the human eardrum (in fact this is the most reference sound I have ever heard). It's also true about 3-way's, but they have a slightly different focus on their sound signature and reproduction. In one word, I'd describe 5-way's as super extended and refined in every aspect 3-way's.

However, taking into account that you enjoy your Westone 3's which have quite a dark sound signature and the music you listen to, you might be quite happy with 3-way's. I have very similar tastes in music and ever since having created 3-way's I was very happy with them.

Personally I gain a lot more from 5-way's (it's in a different league to my ears with a whole lot larger resolution, frequency response and unimaginable levels of details, transients and PRAT among other aspects), but it depends no your tastes overall. If you are happy with this kind of signature as presented by a universal version, I think you can already be happy with a proper 3-way Reference custom.

It's all from an e-mail Grzegorz sent a Hoved-Fi member.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #352 of 2,566
Why would you need google translate when the original text is in English? :|

Quote:
As far as comparing the monitors, I'd say it's quite a difference between 3-way Reference and 5-way Reference. But then again, it's my opinion and I haven't heard anything better than 5-way. 3-way's are, in my opinion, very good too and these were my primary and only monitors for more than two years until I came up with the 5-way's. They share some similarities of audio reproduction, i.e. their presentation is neautral and natural. The 3-way's, however, build their sound signature from the bass up, which makes them warmer in comparison with the 5-way. Everything is in place, liquid and natural but as if to look at the same thing from a different angle and perspective slightly. 5-way's are a lot more more refined in the whole spectrum and it's clearly audible, but 3-way's are nevertheless good as well, I think. 5-way's, in comparison, have even deeper bass response (though the deepest notes are activated when they are in the recording), the mids are extended in a huge amount and the highs as well. The 5-ways can naturally go up to the limits of one's hearing as they can produce a sound without a roll-off at least beyond perceived 23,5kHz. In comparison to 3-way's they are more flat and balanced to the human eardrum (in fact this is the most reference sound I have ever heard). It's also true about 3-way's, but they have a slightly different focus on their sound signature and reproduction. In one word, I'd describe 5-way's as super extended and refined in every aspect 3-way's.

However, taking into account that you enjoy your Westone 3's which have quite a dark sound signature and the music you listen to, you might be quite happy with 3-way's. I have very similar tastes in music and ever since having created 3-way's I was very happy with them.

Personally I gain a lot more from 5-way's (it's in a different league to my ears with a whole lot larger resolution, frequency response and unimaginable levels of details, transients and PRAT among other aspects), but it depends no your tastes overall. If you are happy with this kind of signature as presented by a universal version, I think you can already be happy with a proper 3-way Reference custom.

It's all from an e-mail Grzegorz sent a Hoved-Fi member.

LOL! That's quite funny! I didn't realise it was in English, because I began reading that Danish thread all the way from the beginning, which means that I pasted the URL into Google Translate and just allowed Google Translate to keep translating Danish>English as I clicked my way through each page of the thread!

Thanks for the correction

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #353 of 2,566
Haha, I figured that was probably what happened.

Should you need anything in that thread translated, do not hesitate to ask. It would be one of those few times being a Dane actually comes in handy. 
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #354 of 2,566
Haha, I figured that was probably what happened.

Should you need anything in that thread translated, do not hesitate to ask. It would be one of those few times being a Dane actually comes in handy. 
wink.gif

Pity I didn't know you a few years ago, when I was buying Scanspeak drive units :wink:

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #355 of 2,566

Quote:

Miracle owner, here, and currently awaiting an SE-5, so I will let you know how the two CIEMs compare to each other (driving with a DX100)

Looking forward to your impressions. I've stuck between the MG6Pro and the Heir 8A right now. For one I'm hoping at least one of them is not super sensitive and at least a bit hard to drive so I can utilize my Studio V with it.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #356 of 2,566

Quote:

Ah that's cool. Maybe there's hope after all for me getting the SE 5-Way.
wink.gif

Ah, it's not as bad as it used to be. Like I said, I'm starting to really appreciate the ER-4 sound. Also, my 8.A is a great match as it's able to go really deep and bring a good rumble but without forcing it into every track like I feel the JH16 does.
redface.gif

Do you feel the Heir 8A would be a nice improvement over the Sennheiser IE80? Hearing it has silky smooth treble, and a very nice low end is what's prompted me to opt for it. Also hearing it shared some similarities with the modded denon 7000 is also intriguing.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #357 of 2,566

Quote:

Looking forward to your impressions. I've stuck between the MG6Pro and the Heir 8A right now. For one I'm hoping at least one of them is not super sensitive and at least a bit hard to drive so I can utilize my Studio V with it.

The Ref-5 is superb with the Studio-V. And even more so with the DX100 :)

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #358 of 2,566

Quote:

The Ref-5 is superb with the Studio-V. And even more so with the DX100 :)

Yep, agree with that. Synergy is just perfect. Tempted to get the DX100 but I think I'll wait till the HM-802 comes.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #360 of 2,566
 I was thinking about the same, but then dx100 had so many bugs and issues. So I think i will wait for the 901 too which is much smaller.
Quote:

I am getting the DX100. It works perfect with both Ref-5 and HE-500 - so it's spot on for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back