REVIEW: SoundMagic HP200
Oct 29, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #46 of 106
I'm looking to improve the bottom end as well as take some edge off the treble. Hopefully it'll improve the artificial sound I feel I'm getting currently with some songs as well. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #47 of 106
  Does anyone know what amp pairs nicely with these headphones? I'm currently driving them off of a onboard soundcard and was looking for something a bit more. I'll probably be using the hifimediy U2 dac. 

I was thinking maybe the Schiit Asgard 2. Budget $250

I use an Audioquest Dragonfly with it.  I noticed that Dale recommends the Dragonfly in the last minute or so of his video review of the Soundmagic HP200 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf7DelKBhWo; he mentions a few other DACs and Amps that he apparently tried---they are also shown in the video.  I think that the Dragonfly alone works better with the Soundmagic HP200 than the combination of Dragonfly and Bravo V2.  I do not have other headphones amplifiers to try it with.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #48 of 106
Thanks for the recommendation. I think what I'm going to do is just start off with the hifimediy U2 since it's using a Sabre Dac like the Dragonfly. See how I like the sound and add a headphone amp if need be. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #49 of 106
Quote:

@Feilong4 did you ever get yours and if so how are they?

Sorry for the extremely late reply but yes I did receive my pair.
EDIT: And my apologies to Zelda for making this 'mini-rant' on your review but it has to be mentioned.

The HP200's were very good.. while they lasted. They fell out of my bed (which is probably not even 2 feet off the ground might I add) and started making crackling noises in the left earcup. The left earcup also started to be a lot quieter than the right earcup.

I have made TWO warranty claims and then I have found out that I was receiving refurbished HP200’s for my replacement which this leads me to believe that when I bought them for new on Amazon, it was actually a refurbished item. I am still going on with this problem with Micca. I have ranted a little bit on my thread with pictures of proof that Micca said they will be shipping refurbished as a replacement.

If you are considering the HP200’s, I would recommend a different reseller or not with SoundMAGIC at all as their customer support is all redirecting you back to the reseller and they’re the reason why I contacted SoundMAGIC.

All in all, I should have played it safe and went with a more reputable headphone company/manufacturer.

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #50 of 106
I feel like I should revive this thread. I've been comparing this to the new Fidelio X2, and I must say the HP200 will be sticking around for a good while.

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #51 of 106
That makes me feel good, ive regretted not purchasing the X1's a while back at half price and nearly bought them on a black friday deal...but in my mind I knew that I already had the HP-200's and loved them so held back. Im still very curious to hear the X1 and X2's though. But glad to hear the HP's stack up well.   :)

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #52 of 106
  I feel like I should revive this thread. I've been comparing this to the new Fidelio X2, and I must say the HP200 will be sticking around for a good while.

Thank you.  Did you write a comparison?  if so, where did you post it?

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #53 of 106
  Thank you.  Did you write a comparison?  if so, where did you post it?

Sorry, haven't taken the time to write any comparisons, yet. I'll make sure to post here, when I do...

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #54 of 106
Can someone tell me about the soundstage. Some people say the soundstage is huge & airy while others keep saying the soundstage is small or on level with a hd650.

And how do these compare against Philips x2.

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #55 of 106
  Can someone tell me about the soundstage. Some people say the soundstage is huge & airy while others keep saying the soundstage is small or on level with a hd650.

And how do these compare against Philips x2.

It really depends on what kind of soundstage the person is used, to. Luckily, I've had pretty good experience with a variety of open and closed headphones, including the HP200 and X2, that I could chime in for you.

The HP200 is pretty much stuck in the middle when it comes to soundstage. Not very wide, but not small. It does, however, have a very good sense of instrument separation and detail that adds air to its sound, making it rather enjoyable for those who want an airy, bright sound. The X2 is less airy with a smaller soundstage, but has more of a bass tilt that is very well controlled. The mids, however, are slightly pushed back when compared to the HP200.

I had both at the same time, and ended up keeping the HP200. That's only because I was looking for detail and soundstage in my open headphone, though. If I was looking for an all rounder, the X2 would have been it.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #56 of 106
Hi, anyone worked out how to work the extension cables on the HP200, trying to attach all given cables together to use with an AVR headphone jack. Does not work at all. Possible to attach the short cable (screw adapter) but not the long one.

Surely i must be missing something really obvious?

Otherwise i'll have to get a third attachment to the chain (weakening the signal i imagine) with something on the end like this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KWAZQYI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3F5VWH0OWF6UT

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #57 of 106
  Hi, anyone worked out how to work the extension cables on the HP200, trying to attach all given cables together to use with an AVR headphone jack. Does not work at all. Possible to attach the short cable (screw adapter) but not the long one.

Surely i must be missing something really obvious?

Otherwise i'll have to get a third attachment to the chain (weakening the signal i imagine) with something on the end like this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KWAZQYI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3F5VWH0OWF6UT

I do not think that there is a solution with the parts provided by Soundmagic. 

The longer cable is an extension cable and has a non-threaded plug.  The screw-in adapter (1/8-to-1/4 inch) only works with the short cable; it does not work with the plug at the end of the extension cable.  To solve the problem, one could use what you show in your link, or a non-threaded 1/8-to-1/4 inch adapter, or an extension cable starts with a 1/8 inch outlet and ends with a 1/4 inch plug. The last solution allows you to have only two attachments in the chain. The middle solution requires three attachments, but one of them is an adapter without cable. 

I read a review in which the reviewer complained about the provision of a threaded adapter in the box; I understood what the reviewer meant only when I tried to fit the adapter to the plug at the end of the extension cable!  Soundmagic should have provided either an extension cable with a threaded plug or a non-threaded adapter.

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #58 of 106

I do not think that there is a solution with the parts provided by Soundmagic. 

The longer cable is an extension cable and has a non-threaded plug.  The screw-in adapter (1/8-to-1/4 inch) only works with the short cable; it does not work with the plug at the end of the extension cable.  To solve the problem, one could use what you show in your link, or a non-threaded 1/8-to-1/4 inch adapter, or an extension cable starts with a 1/8 inch outlet and ends with a 1/4 inch plug. The last solution allows you to have only two attachments in the chain. The middle solution requires three attachments, but one of them is an adapter without cable. 

I read a review in which the reviewer complained about the provision of a threaded adapter in the box; I understood what the reviewer meant only when I tried to fit the adapter to the plug at the end of the extension cable!  Soundmagic should have provided either an extension cable with a threaded plug or a non-threaded adapter.

Hi Marco, thanks for the answer.

Due to the awkward twist attachment alot of the cables on the net look unsuitable, so i may treat myself to a £15 silver cable that looks thin and hope it works. (any idea if silver cables are worth it with headphones)

I've ordered a Good quality 6.35mm jack plug for the AVR in the meantime.

Ideally i'd have a very thin 3.5mm jack cable with a 6.35mm jack attached, but these don't seem to exist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back