[REVIEW] Sony MW1 - Smart Wireless Headset pro
Jan 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #46 of 183
I got my MW600 over Christmas, used it quite a bit while traveling and the battery life's very impressive. I'll probably do some comparisons soon against the Clip Zip with my Ety's and M-80's now that I'm back home.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #47 of 183
Hello ClieOS, thanks for you nice report , it is rare on music BT reviews in the field, so keep on going!! Just want to ask few questions.
1. I am not here to challenging your information, but I wondering where do you know the MW1 is using a Wolfson DAC? I have try hard on internet search , but no answer..
2. Basic on some hi-ends Earphone like TF10 / W4, what is the SQ comparison between direct output via IPT/IPC and streaming on MW1?

P.S.# I am not bit-rate freak, just 192kbps mp3 satisfy me.
I will have one if the SQ can maintain similar level~~

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #48 of 183
Quote:
Hello ClieOS, thanks for you nice report , it is rare on music BT reviews in the field, so keep on going!! Just want to ask few questions.
1. I am not here to challenging your information, but I wondering where do you know the MW1 is using a Wolfson DAC? I have try hard on internet search , but no answer..
2. Basic on some hi-ends Earphone like TF10 / W4, what is the SQ comparison between direct output via IPT/IPC and streaming on MW1?

P.S.# I am not bit-rate freak, just 192kbps mp3 satisfy me.
I will have one if the SQ can maintain similar level~~

1. I was told by Sead about the Wolfson DAC. He works for Sony and is part of MW1 design team.

2. It is hard to say since I don't own IPT/IPC. But at least for Nano 7 (which supports BT), I can't tell any difference between MW1 and just normal cable version of MH1 (the stock IEM for MW1). I didn't use other IEM on MW1 much as the cable will get too long, but the few I tried also sounded quite nice as well.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #49 of 183
Hello ClieOS,
I am very interested in the MW1 to wirelessly connect with my iPhone 4S. I also have the Sony XBA-4iP which I love.
Now my biggest worry: with an impedance of 8ohms, will the MW1 struggle to drive the XBA-4iP?
I know that play/answer/pause/mic/volume will be handled through the MW1.
I also understand, based on your- and other reviews- that the included MH1 earphone is no slouch, so I can just use that.

Thanks

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #50 of 183
Quote:
Hello ClieOS,
I am very interested in the MW1 to wirelessly connect with my iPhone 4S. I also have the Sony XBA-4iP which I love.
Now my biggest worry: with an impedance of 8ohms, will the MW1 struggle to drive the XBA-4iP?
I know that play/answer/pause/mic/volume will be handled through the MW1.
I also understand, based on your- and other reviews- that the included MH1 earphone is no slouch, so I can just use that.

Thanks

I don't think MW1 will be able to drive XBA-4 to perfection - then again, many other good source don't seem to drive it that well either. I personally like to listen to XBA-4 with an amp. So it really depends on what you see as 'acceptable' performance but at least I don't think XBA-4 sounds bad on MW1.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #51 of 183
Lots of info on xda-developers.com. Just search for MW1.  There's a thread somewhere there which read the hardware info at it uses wolfson DAC. Been using it for awhile and I'm impressed.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #52 of 183
Thanks for the reply ClieOS.

I was reading several reviews on Amazon and some Android forums about buggy firmware. Some issues include being unable to use larger capacity SD cards and constant updating of the music library. Have you experienced these? Has the latest firmware fixed this?
Should I just consider the MW600 if I don't plan on using the built in MP3 player? But I'll be missing out on the MH1 earphones, right?

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #53 of 183
I have no firmware problem with mine, and mine is on the latest (always is). The only complaint I have is it doesn't decode Chinese character on the SD card all that well and often come up with random code on the file name, but it still play the music just fine. I didn't use any SD card larger than 16GB as anything larger isn't practical on a small screen devices - no problem there as well.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #54 of 183
Lots of info on xda-developers.com. Just search for MW1.  There's a thread somewhere there which read the hardware info at it uses wolfson DAC. Been using it for awhile and I'm impressed.

Yep...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=28834246&postcount=94

Not a whole lot of info outside of that tho. I scanned a few other threads about both the MW1 & MW600 and they were mostly filled with posts about people troubleshooting issues and whatnot. Some have been able to get track info on the display running Cyanogenmod and/or PowerAmp or the stock Samsung/Sony music players, but reports were pretty inconsistent about what actually worked.

Probably has more to do with the BT stack and drivers on your current ROM than anything else, no joy w/my MW600 on my HTC EVO LTE but it's been working great outside of that.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #56 of 183
Yep, that's the problem with Android as it is highly customisable to different company / models and especially true if you have rooted your 'phone + extra software or even custom build. I have had no problem using MW1 on Samsung Galaxy Ace and Tab 7+ (both rooted but stock), but now I am using Xperia TX (which of course run well with MW1). One of the thing I notice is that you need to install the required apps (Smart Connect and Smart Headset Pro) first before pairing with MW1 or else the apps might not recognise the headset correctly.

BTW, I have no problem with either stock music player from Samsung or Sony, and Neutron (my main player) works just fine with all the track info being displayed correctly (all functions works of course). I finally find the time to re-tag all my music so now all the character are displayed correctly as well.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #57 of 183
Hmm, I admit I haven't tried Sony's apps, might give it a shot later when I try Poweramp. I wasn't too concerned with getting album info on my MW600 tbh, I rather like the stock HTC music player (their lock screen controls are the most seamlessly integrated IMO) and if I'm not looking at the phone I'm probably not bothering with looking at my MW600 either wherever it's clipped (except possibly when used with my M-80 since I can use a short cable and clip it on my collar etc.).

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #58 of 183
Hey ClieOS, I am using the MW1 with Neutron Music Player. But I cannot get the pause/play and next/previous buttons to work. Any idea how to solve this?

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #59 of 183
It's probably got nothing to do with the MW1, usually in situations like that it's one app or another overriding the standard BT/headset button commands.

You can check what other related apps might be interfering, tough there's also an app that lets you peek at those settings and set what app is set by default to respond to that sorta command (along with all sorts of different intents/conditions within the phone).

I forget it's name but I can look it up later on my Play store history. Easiest way to rule out it's the MW1 would be testing with another BT device that has track controls tho (car etc.).

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #60 of 183
Quote:
Hey ClieOS, I am using the MW1 with Neutron Music Player. But I cannot get the pause/play and next/previous buttons to work. Any idea how to solve this?

There is a headset setting in Neutron, check there to see if you have set it right. I didn't need to chance any setting on mine as it just works without any problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back