Review: Sony D-25S Portable CD Player (LONG)
Jan 1, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 101
Hey, i'm not sure if this has been answered, so here i go
biggrin.gif

Can you listen to the player with the ac adapter as its charging the battery? Just wondering, TIA

George

Jan 1, 2002 at 7:11 AM Post #18 of 101
Anyone think I should get it? I mean, I just got a denon 370, and I love it. Use it with my hd580s and cmoy. I have my sharp mt90 / mx500s for portable listening. I mean, where does this fit?

Jan 2, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #19 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Anyone think I should get it? I mean, I just got a denon 370, and I love it. Use it with my hd580s and cmoy. I have my sharp mt90 / mx500s for portable listening. I mean, where does this fit?

It doesn't appear that you have a good use for one. The only reason I could see for you to get one is if you want to be able to listen to CDs somewhere other than in the room the Denon is in. It's a lot easier to carry the D-25S and AC adapter to another location than it is to carry the Denon around.

Jan 2, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #20 of 101
Well, moments ago the UPS man showed up with mine. It was very nicely packaged in a sturdy box with thick "egg carton" pink foam inside. Very well done and no peanuts all over the floor! This thing is certainly built like the proverbial tank. I love all the tiny phillip's head screws holding it together. I'll give it a listen and chime in with my thoughts shortly.

Jan 2, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 101
UPS just delivered mine today as well. I was surprised how big the packing box was, until I saw all of the bubble wrap they used. I am still surprised as to how heavy this thing is. But, like roll-man said, it is built like a tank. I haven't received my battery or AC adapter from Sony yet so listening will have to wait.
frown.gif

Jan 3, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #22 of 101
0o0oo, how i love the sound of this portable!!! The cymbal taps are sooo clear, i could swear i'm sitting alongside the drummer. Thank you Russ.

Jan 3, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #23 of 101
Got mine today, I like the sound, and it does not skip (phew).

It's a bit slimer than I expected. Extremely well built. It reminds me of a fine mechanical Swiss watch. I am considering buying a second one
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #24 of 101
Well, here's to jumping on the Sony bandwagon. Just ordered mine. I've got several wall-worts to use with it and I'll post if it seems to be affected by them (V6s and KSC-55s).

Now I just need to build that amp......oh well, I gotta blow this Christmas money on something before I waste it on vending machines

Jan 4, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #25 of 101
Just an FYI: I spoke with Carrie from Silicon Salvage yesterday, and she said they have about 500 of these units left.

I still can't believe the sound I get out of this thing.

Heck, I'm thinking about ordering a third!

Jan 4, 2002 at 5:35 PM Post #26 of 101
He he, just ordered my second one. How can you beat the price, $51.50 shipped?

Jan 4, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #27 of 101
Got mine today...excellent and does not skip. I listen to music fairly loud and position 5 is plenty loud for Sony V-6 headphones. Can't wait till later at home when I have a chance to test using my AKG 501's!

Jan 4, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #28 of 101
I got my second one yesterday, and it seems to work just as well as my first. The only CD I had consistent problems with skipping on my 1st D-25S (the new LOTR soundtrack) skipped exactly the same on the second one (but only on the first track). The CD does skip on my much newer Panasonic CT-570, but only about half as much. I still stand by my earlier statement that I feel the D-25S PCDP's have slightly inferior error correction circuitry compared to the best of today's PCDP's, but that is only to be expected with the technology having had 10 years to improve. I am still very satisfied and may find myself ordering a third before all is said and done. This little marvel will effortlessly power my Senn 580's, AKG 501's, Beyer 831's, and any other cans I've tried, and sound good doing it.

Too bad they don't bring out a tenth anniversary edition of this model that gets 20-30 hours of battery life (instead of 3-4), has an optical output along with its line out, has defeatable 10 second compression free anti skip, can use AA batteries, and doesn't come with any useless stock headphones. Now that would be a PCDP worth paying $200+ for.

-Keith

Jan 5, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #29 of 101
My second and third D-25s units arrived today from Silicon Salvage (the first skipped on many CDs). Well, so far one does EXACTLY the same thing, in the same places, on the same CDs. But the third works PERFECTLY. No skips, no hiccups, just beautiful sound.

So I'm glad I ordered two after the first had problems! Now I have to get yet another to replace the second bad one. Why do these things always happen before the weekend or on a holiday?

I found one possible clue to the problem. The good unit does not reveal anything when changing from the AC adapter to battery power, but the bad ones hiccupped when unplugging the adapter.

I noticed a bit of 60 HZ hum when the unit isnot playing anything and is connected to the AC power adapter and running the lineout into my Monsoon desktop setup, but not playing anything. But there's nothing adible through the headphone output. The hum could be a ground loop issue unique to my setup (the Monsoons will show the same hum if they're connected to my laptop with the printer hooked up), or related to the RS adapter (the teeny little travel 9v adapter that puts out up to up t1500 mA).

Jan 5, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #30 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
My second and third D-25s units arrived today from Silicon Salvage (the first skipped on many CDs). Well, so far one does EXACTLY the same thing, in the same places, on the same CDs.

JML -- Take the CDs that are skipping, if it's only a couple, and wash them with lukewarm water and dish soap. Suds them up good, rinse thoroughly, and pat dry with a soft cloth. Make sure they're completely dry before putting them in the player.

I had a CD which wouldn't play on the D-25S; it looked clean by casual inspection, and worked fine in two other CD players. I washed it as described above and now it works fine in the D-25S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back