Review: Sony D-25S Portable CD Player (LONG)
Dec 28, 2001 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

Russ Arcuri

20% more jawbone...15% less fat...
I have not had a skipping or dropout problem at all with this player, or with the used D-25 I picked up later. I definitely would have mentioned it in the review if I had any such problem.

These players have all been sitting for at least 9 years. It's not surprising to me that a certain percentage of them might have a problem. I don't think it has anything to do with error-correction circuitry or the design of the player. If yours doesn't work right, and you know it's not the disc that's at fault, contact Silicon Salvage and see what they can do for you.

[size=xx-small]Sorry to break into your thread / post Russ, but i was begining to think that the original thread was getting a little too long for anyone who came along and had to read it from scratch

If there is anyone who has missed the begining of this, they can read it here

Thanks - Duncan[/size]

Dec 28, 2001 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 101
I've been listening to mine for a while now and I have not experienced any problems with drop-outs or skipping.

Apparently Silicon Salvage is easy to work with and they have given a 30 day guarantee on the units purchased on Ebay - if your unit is experiencing problems contact them to work something out.

Dec 28, 2001 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 101
I'm waiting for a replacement and another one (backup) from Silicon Salvage. I'll let you know what these two are like. I sure hope they're OK.

I called them and talked with Carrie on the day after Christmas. They immediately sent out the replacement and backup, and told me to hold onto the first one until I see how the others work.

Dec 29, 2001 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 101
The only time i noticed the player skip was on a scratched cdr i burned, i accidently put the scratch there myself. Otherwise, i found the player to be very stable when reading cds. Hell, i ordered another one as well!

George

Dec 29, 2001 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 101
Awhile back in this thread, JML mentioned using a small hunk of vinyl wire covering as a means to prevent the Radio Shack adapter from being inserted too far into the Sony power input. I rummaged around the garage and found that a Size 00 flat neoprene faucet washer slipped over the prong works perfectly.

Dec 29, 2001 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 101
Just for your information, my academic advisor (I am at graduate school.) have been using SONY D-35 last 9 or 10 years and wants to order D-25S. He told me that D-35 had been sold in the price range of $400.(Wow!!!) D-35 also has the rectangular shape and uses the same AC adapter but different battery. I didn't have a chance to listen to his but model number suggests that D-35 should be one level up from D-25. Did I tell you that I order another one for myself. :) Thanks again for Russ...

Happy new year
Jibra

Dec 30, 2001 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 101
Jibra -- I'm pretty sure the D-35 was the next model after they retired the D-25 from production. I don't know what features it had different from the D-25, but they do appear to be cut from the same cloth so to speak.

Dec 30, 2001 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 101
Gee Russ, just wanted to thank you for the info on the D25s. I Just ordered one on ebay, and then hopped over to Sony for the manual and battery. Hope I like it! It's bound to be better than the CD drive on my laptop or the Magnavox portable I travel with.

And, this all started this last Friday night when I discovered I had a short in my 10+ year old headphones (Koss HV1A). Did a little web searching and decided Grado SR80s were for me. Then I wondered if I needed an amp. Then I saw the post on the Sony and decided I'd just upgrade the source. Oh well, here I go...and thanks!

Dec 30, 2001 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 101
I will add my voice to the multitude: I received my unit this week and, based on this discussion, had ordered a second one even before the first had arrived.

I finally got around to a Radio Shack run today to pick up a power supply, and am now listening to the sweetest sound that has ever come out of my tired old V6s. This unit does indeed sound as good as it looks. Wow!
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wait to hear what the CD-3000 will sound like out of this unit... maybe in a few months.

Dec 30, 2001 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 101
Quote:

Can't wait to hear what the CD-3000 will sound like out of this unit...

Well, I jumped on this D25 bandwagon and I'm glad I did.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the CD-1700 and they sound wonderfull out of this unit.
If this is any indication, then the 3Ks should fair well also.
Sony synergy? Maybe

I also plugged in my AKG 501s and this unit drove them well also.
eek.gif

(not as good as an amp mind you, but shockingly good for a portable!)

Dec 30, 2001 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 101
The unit that skips nonetheless sounds wonderful when it isn't skipping. It trounces my IBM laptop CD drives (two different Matsu****a units) and sounds great via the lineout into my home system or my desktop Monsoon MM-700s.

My Sony MDR-F1 phones are pretty amazing with the D-25S, and the Sony MDR-V6 phones sound as good as they ever have (which to my ears means they still have bloated midbass over that deep bottom, and several treble peaks at the points of vocal sibilance and cymbals, which I find terribly annoying and irritating -- I'm getting rid of them). The F-1 is an incredibly comfortable low impedance phone, 12 ohms, and the bass they produce via the D-25S is as deep, taut, and as clean as I've heard them produce from anything, when positioned properly. I know many folks think they have poor bass and treble, and I won't get into that debate here, but using my now-broken-in F-1s via an amp or portable that is capable of driving a low impedance load (my preamp phone jack is optimized for 4-16 ohms, apparently) shows they're far, far musical than the bass-bloated V-6, the treble is well-balanced, truly delicate and airy, plus the midrange is clean and accurate. They're very revealing phones for $175. I'm going to look at Senn HD-580 and HD-600 phones, but they're far more expensive considering that they need a dedicated amp.

I mention this only to show that the D-25S can apparently drive phones with impedances ranging from 12 to 600 ohms, which means that teeny little amp is pretty damn versatile. Sony apparently used to make great amp sections in their portables; my WM-D6C is a powerhouse. Too bad they gave that up for other bells and whistles, not to say profit.

Dec 30, 2001 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 101
Quote:

...the D-25S can apparently drive phones with impedances ranging from 12 to 600 ohms, which means that teeny little amp is pretty damn versatile.

The Sony spec sheet says that they are only 9mW per channel.
I wonder if this is a true rms value.
(unlike most manufacturers which like to show power as a peak to peak value)
This would help to explain some of the results that we are showing among us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back