Review: Sony D-25S Portable CD Player (LONG)
Jan 24, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #92 of 101
I just wanted to thank Russ so much for the recommendation. This afternoon, I received a D-25 that I ordered last week from Half.com for $30, shipping included. Came with wall wart and battery (and a heck of a lot of bubble wrap), though I think the battery is shot, since it doesn't seem to want to charge. Oh well, still an incredible bargain.

This is the first more-than-decent headphone source I've ever had. Before, I was listening to music through (I'm sure 95% of you will cringe at this) my Denon DM-3's headphone jack, which had quite a bit of underlying static, with my computer's soundcard (MP3s) as the source. I'd like to emphasize that it's worth getting this player even if you don't have power-hungry headphones. I love my SR-60s, but I never realized they could sound this good. This is the richest and most precise they've ever sounded. While before I had concluded that they were largely unsuitable for orchestral music, I'm reconsidering that opinion now, since I'm currently listening to Mahler 2 and loving it. When I originally got my Grados, I was a little mystified by the included warning that said something to the effect of "Love your Grados, but don't love them so much that you jack up the volume until you blow your brains out." Now I understand.
smily_headphones1.gif

Guess that's it. If anyone has any tips on reviving the battery, I'd appreciate it.

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #93 of 101
When a lead-acid rechargeable is gone, it's gone. To quote the Dead, "He's gone and nothin's gonna bring him back." They don't last that long in storage, either. I had one in an Aiwa that worked for about ten years, but I just replaced it.

Jan 25, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #95 of 101
Okay, I finally got mine today. It was wonderfull dealing with carrie from silicon salvage. Lol, turns out her and I grew up in the same neighborhood. hehe

Jan 25, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #96 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Guy
They say you don't have to go through eBay, if you are OK with the price $45 + S&H (in my case, $6.50 to NY: I searched a little on eBay and found that someone recently won the auction with $67.00!!!).

Does anyone have any idea what is the reserve price? Am I wasting my time trying to bid on one instead of just buying one?
I've never actually bought anything on EBay before, and didn't want to register if I didn't have to.

Jan 25, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #97 of 101
Yeah, I think it is a waste of time to try and bid on one. Of 24 auctions for the D-25S that have closed in the past 10 days, only two were for less than $45, and those were for only $41 and 42. One was for $67, and the rest were all $45, which I assume means they went with "Buy it Now" option. Don't know what their reserve is, but even if it is only $30 or so (which I doubt since the market has shown that people will buy for $45) it will get bid up before you will win it. Just call Silicon Salvage and order one directly. You know you want to
smily_headphones1.gif

-Keith

Jan 25, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #99 of 101
ok, now i'm interested.

has anyone compared the d-25s with the d-777, through the line out, the headphone jack, and using either sony cd-1700, v6, e888, or ety er6? if so i'd like your impressions.

Jan 26, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #100 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by BeyerMonster
Does anyone have any idea what is the reserve price?

FYI, I ended up trying to bid on one and I'm pretty sure the reserve is $40...

Jan 30, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #101 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Okay, I finally got mine today. It was wonderfull dealing with carrie from silicon salvage. Lol, turns out her and I grew up in the same neighborhood. hehe

i've delt with her too.. Quit flirting with her!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back