Review: Sony D-25S Portable CD Player (LONG)
Jan 15, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #61 of 101
Yah, that was me. I'll certainly let you guys know how Silicon Salvage chooses to deal with this. I know I may be making a big deal out of a $51.50 expense but between UPS absolutely mauling the thing and it not even coming in its packaging, this has been a fairly horrid experience thus far.

Kelly

Jan 15, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #62 of 101
Has anyone taken the time to scan the owner's manual for the D-25S? I decided not to order a battery from Sony. I read in another thread that if ordering the manual by itself, the shipping cost would exceed the price of the manual, (which really chaps my hide!). If anyone has taken the time to scan it, could you please e-mail it to me? I think this is a great little unit and I want to be able to use all it's features.

Thanks!

Woo-Hoo! Post #2!

Jan 15, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #63 of 101
I have the d777 and tempting about getting the d25s. Has any of you made a comparison?

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #64 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Yah, that was me. I'll certainly let you guys know how Silicon Salvage chooses to deal with this. I know I may be making a big deal out of a $51.50 expense but between UPS absolutely mauling the thing and it not even coming in its packaging, this has been a fairly horrid experience thus far.

That's pretty unusual. Mine came in a white box with black writing, clearly an original Sony box. The white box was wrapped in bubble wrap and then placed inside a larger corrugated cardboard box for shipping.

Jan 17, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #65 of 101
Just order a D-25 from SS. Still toying with having my vintage D-35 tuned up. It's black and rectangular with a numbered keypad and lcd. Skips at the start of every cd. Came with a great hard plastic carrying case.

BTW: I'm hoping that the D-35 power adapter will work with the D-25. Any way to be certain?

Jan 17, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #66 of 101
Can anyone buy one of these for me? I am really interested in this but I am not living in the US so I'd have to pay $15.00 service charge + $20.00 shipping + brokerage fee & duty (approx. $20.00).

This could add up to over $100.00 when I finally get it.
frown.gif
But if someone is willing to buy it for me on their behalf and ship it to me via US Postal (aviod brokerage fee & service charge) and declare it as a gift (aviod hefty duty taxes), then this is would be a great deal, even for me.

Please I am hoping someone can really help me out, if anyone is interested, please Private Message me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #68 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by dotrat
BTW: I'm hoping that the D-35 power adapter will work with the D-25. Any way to be certain?

Look at the power adapter for the D-35. Tell us what it says on it. If it says, "9V, 600mA," and it's negative inside, positive outside, then it will work fine. It must be 9V, but the mA rating can be higher than 600 mA, just not lower.

Jan 17, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #69 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
Look at the power adapter for the D-35. Tell us what it says on it. If it says, "9V, 600mA," and it's negative inside, positive outside, then it will work fine. It must be 9V, but the mA rating can be higher than 600 mA, just not lower.

Russ, I did...It does...negative inside...positive outside...You are way cool...Thanks.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #70 of 101
the saga continues. one observation, one question.

obs: the lube issue may not be a non-issue. when mine started it's skipping thang, i peered through the slot in the top plate (didn't attempt to remove it). well: the rim end of the jack screw is packed with a dried white stuff; i suspect lithium grease. the stuff was also sprinkled along the rest of the jack screw. hmmm. got some machine oil and a q-tip. could just reach the screw without bumping into other surfaces. a few rubs, and an overnight play. all of the white didn't emulsify, but the skipping is less frequent, though not entirely gone.

que: i hadn't noticed until today, after running the pana 360 to see what its motor noise was by comparison (after the oiling, the 360 is louder), but loading a disk and closing the hatch doesn't load the TOC and such; doesn't spin up and show total time. bad player, or d-25s idiosyncracy?

and they seem to have disappeared from SS.

toodles,
robert

Jan 17, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #71 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by robert
the lube issue may not be a non-issue. when mine started it's skipping thang, i peered through the slot in the top plate (didn't attempt to remove it). well: the rim end of the jack screw is packed with a dried white stuff...

The reason I said it was a non-issue is because I actually took mine apart, and examined it. Mine, at least, has plenty of white lubricant, and none of it has dried up. Are you sure the lubricant in yours is dry? Quote:

...but loading a disk and closing the hatch doesn't load the TOC and such; doesn't spin up and show total time. bad player, or d-25s idiosyncracy?

The D-25s doesn't automatically spin the disc up to check TOC. It does so only when you hit "play," and when you press "stop" it 'forgets' it. Quote:

and they seem to have disappeared from SS.

Based on what? I found one auction still active on eBay. Maybe they haven't had a chance to post new auctions?

Jan 17, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #72 of 101
For those who want to get ahold of this. I just called them up directly yesterday, and placed an order. They say you don't have to go through eBay, if you are OK with the price $45 + S&H (in my case, $6.50 to NY: I searched a little on eBay and found that someone recently won the auction with $67.00!!!). They also did not sound like "only few more left." They were nice and quick, btw. Ken

Jan 17, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #73 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
I have the d777 and tempting about getting the d25s. Has any of you made a comparison?

From what i can gather, from all of the reviews on this thread, the D25s will go louder, but (dare i say this??) not as controlled overall

Don't get me wrong, all the D25 owners, and lovers who lurk in this thread, but... I cannot personally see that Sonys sound philosophy would be to make good (D25) bad (D345) and then good again (D777)

Maybe i'm all screwed up and completely wrong on this, and if i am, i hope that someone can tell me otherwise... as i said somewhere at the middle of this thread, I personally wanted to A/B the two, but it'd cost me inexcess of $200 for the privilege, so... maybe i'm just biased
confused.gif

Jan 17, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #74 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
Based on what? I found one auction still active on eBay. Maybe they haven't had a chance to post new auctions?

maybe, but they've had 4 or more active at once until now.

toodles,
robert

Jan 17, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #75 of 101
My apologies in advance to Sony afficionados as I'm well aware that this will not be pleasant tasting.

Sony's philosophy, in general, is to introduce a fine product that is superior in features, build quality and performance than every other high end "consumer" product in its category.

This flagship model is almost always well received by the Sony fanatics, by the general press and by the industry press. Often, this will become a "reference" product, by which future products are measured.

After the introduction phase, Sony sets out to cash in on the good name of what they've created. Sony knows that the average consumer isn't well researched and won't, for the most part, recognize the lowered quality of the following models.

Newer models are lower in price and retain the feature set of the high end model (presuming the features are not overcomplicated and driven by hardware requirements, the R&D was paid for by the flagship). Newer models have nearly every other corner cut. The product will borrow from the core technologies of the flagship but only so long as they don't cost anything extra. Meanwhile, the newer models will be priced at the high end amongst all competitors enforcing a higher perceived value with consumers.

Sony doesn't always win, though they often do. Sometimes after a product has been to market for a few years, consumers begin to doubt that the Sony models are better than the competitor models. At this point, Sony often reintroduces the product line as a whole, adds some new feature that garners press or launches an updated flagship model of the product. The process then repeats.

If you're a smart consumer, this cycle isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just something to be aware of when shopping.

<disclaimer>
I do own a good deal of Sony products (see profile) so please take this in the spirit it was intended as it's not meant to enflame those of you who own other Sony products. </disclaimer>

Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back