Review: Sony D-25S Portable CD Player (LONG)
Dec 20, 2001 at 3:12 AM Post #76 of 107
It turned out that AC adpater fried for some reason. The person at radioshack gave me a strange look when I told him i had hooked the 9 V adapter to PCDP. I was not in a mood to explain all the things and just told him that was some old one. Anyway, I got new adapter and made him to check with voltagemeter. It worked.

I came back to my office and hooked it up again with right polarity which is negative. I also have Pana 570 and owned Radioshack 3904. It is like the extraction of good things from 570 and 3904 in a really solid case.

I didn't like the background noise or whatever with 3904 though I was happy with powerful headphone amp. 570 is a little bit weak on headphone power but it has more dark background and each note has more definition than 3904.

I only have SONY V-6 at my office so I should wait until I get home and take out my beloved Senn 600 to make my final judgement but I can say I love the sound of SONY 25S without hesitation. I am considering to get another one for backup.

I am more used to full headphone setup - fullsize arcam 7 CDP, MG head and Senn 600 and I have had problems with the sound coming from the portable CDP. Let's see how this little gem stand against those big boys.

Thanks Russ

jibra

Dec 20, 2001 at 4:48 AM Post #77 of 107
I read all of your reviews and comments in this incredible thread. First, thanks.
Second, have you, or anyone else, listened to this using a portable amp. I have a Reference Cosmic and Ety 4's arriving tomorrow.
Any comments on the d-25 through an amp?
BTW, there is a d-25, still in the box, with all accessories, on Ebay right now.
Thanks,
Twin

Merry Christmas to all!

Dec 20, 2001 at 5:36 AM Post #78 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Twin
Any comments on the d-25 through an amp?

Sure. It sounds great. I guess I wasn't clear in the review about this -- but I tested the line out through both a CHA 47 Altoids amp (built by JMT) and through my home stereo. The line out quality is superb, which can only mean good things when listening through a dedicated amp.

Now, I wouldn't say the D-25S has the greatest DAC in the world, but it's a darn good one, especially considering it's a 1989 design. I'm still shaking my head over how real cymbal taps sound with it. Many DACs fail that test. I still prefer the DAC in my Integra 606, but then again I can't slip the 606 into a small carrying case and use it at work or on the road. I think the D-25S sounds terrific, and so far others that have gotten one seem to agree.

Isn't anyone disappointed in this player? I figured a few people would disagree about the sound. Everyone seems to have different tastes in audio. Maybe it's just that modern portables have so many compromises in the signal path (compressed antishock, low-current circuits, and weak headphone amplification) that an older, high-end portable is a welcome surprise. Oh well -- I'm glad others are enjoying theirs as much as I enjoy mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2001 at 5:43 AM Post #79 of 107
It seems like D-25 is not happy with scratched CD. It also skips even with light tap on the cover. I don't think anyone can walk around with this CDP. I am listening to Brahms Cello Sonatas. Ambience around the piano note is nice with the feeling of tightened strings on cello.

Have fun with yours, people who jumped into this venture...

jibra

Dec 20, 2001 at 10:59 PM Post #80 of 107
Mine hasn't skipped at all unless i bang into it with my hand. I was wondering how many hrs of listening do you get out of its battery? I'm definitely considering ordering another one, its a marvelous piece of equipment.

George

Dec 21, 2001 at 4:12 AM Post #81 of 107
I got mine in the mail today - it's slimmer and more compact than I had expected for some reason...I guess the solid metal construction just made me expect a larger unit. It sure does sound nice, though. I've tested it through the headphone jack into 580s, as well as through my old-model cosmic into 580s and ER-4Ss. Very nice...now I don't feel like such a fool for not owning a real home cdp...I have a feeling this one probably isn't that far off from a decent home unit's performance.

Dec 21, 2001 at 10:53 AM Post #82 of 107
Great comments from all -- and thanks for the review, Russ.

I hope there's one left for me on eBay!

Coupla questions: Has anyone used this player with Sony's CD-3000? If so, how's it sound?

And the worm-gear issue -- any problems, and is it easy to lube manually?

Dec 21, 2001 at 2:06 PM Post #83 of 107
On the worm gear issue - Russ modified his initial position on this later in the thread. Turns out there is no lubrication problem - the worm gear is just louder than on most PCDPs.

My initial verdict after listening to it for a while: it is a very good player with a smooth, clean, tight sound. Surprisingly, it is not significantly better sounding with my Grado SR-80s than the old Panasonic SL-NP1 (circa 1990) that I have been using. I think this is less a poor reflection of the D-25s than it is a positive reflection of the clunky old Panasonic. The D-25s is more laid back and smoother sounding than the Panasonic, while the Panasonic is a bit more vibrant with stronger bass (bass boost off).

One thing is for sure, both the older players sound a lot better than any recent portable that I have heard and of course they both have more powerful headphone amps as well. I have been listening to the D-25 with the volume level set at about 1 (halfway between minimum and 2).

In summary, the D-25s is gorgeous, great sounding, and has a kick ass powerful headphone amp. A great bargain for about $60.00 (including rat shack AC adaptor).

Dec 21, 2001 at 8:00 PM Post #84 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by newspaperguy
Great comments from all -- and thanks for the review, Russ.

I hope there's one left for me on eBay!

Coupla questions: Has anyone used this player with Sony's CD-3000? If so, how's it sound?

And the worm-gear issue -- any problems, and is it easy to lube manually?

If i were you i'd grab on asap, i just placed an order for a second one....its that good. I didn't find it too be too noisy, i honestly dont even notice any motor noise at all. Its a great find for the price.

George
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2001 at 8:05 PM Post #85 of 107
The motor noise is only an issue when the laser returns to center when the last song is done playing, or when pressing stop. It's not a problem during normal playback.

I had assumed that since it was a bit loud, the worm gear might need lubrication. It turns out it still has plenty of lubrication and is just not as quiet as I expected it to be.

Dec 21, 2001 at 9:00 PM Post #86 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

If i were you i'd grab on asap, i just placed an order for a second one....its that good. I didn't find it too be too noisy, i honestly dont even notice any motor noise at all. Its a great find for the price.

George
smily_headphones1.gif

I just checked on Ebay and they have three current auctions for the D-25S all with the buy it now option for $45. (a fourth auction just closed). From what I've seen they usually have 3-4 auctions for the players running at the same time. Who knows how long that will last though. I'm supposed to get mine on Monday, and if it is all it's cracked up to be I might order a 2nd one next week if they are still available.

-Keith

Dec 22, 2001 at 3:47 PM Post #88 of 107
I was the 4th auction that closed
smily_headphones1.gif
. Already shipped. Silicon Salvage are very easy to deal with.

Russ, thanks for the great review!

Dec 23, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #89 of 107
FYI. Sony's shipping on the battery was pretty fast, if you are buying it. About a week or so -- two days longer than it took for the D-25S to show up. The manual came in five days, separately.

Dec 23, 2001 at 3:34 AM Post #90 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
FYI. Sony's shipping on the battery was pretty fast, if you are buying it. About a week or so -- two days longer than it took for the D-25S to show up. The manual came in five days, separately.

yup, your right, i got the battery one week after ordering it..pretty fast!

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back