Review: Sony D-25S Portable CD Player (LONG)
Dec 19, 2001 at 4:05 AM Post #61 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Milestones

One question for those of you who have the Radio Shack 9v 800mA adaptor with the "M" adaptaplug - does the silver part of the plug go all the way into the D-25S unit? When I tried to plug the adaptor into the unit there was a point of resistance before the plug was entirely into the unit - Is this normal or do I have the wrong adaptaplug (it was labelled "M" - but who knows)?

Same here. That small M thing didn't go through, there are some kind of notch which prevents me to put the M thing to the end. I also checked the polarity and actually I treid both ways and both didn't work.

Jibra

Dec 19, 2001 at 5:28 AM Post #63 of 107
See if you can get the player to work by holding the lid down on the left side -- press it down a bit further than it sits naturally. Mine did that and I was able to fix it later.

There's a micro-switch in the body right near the "open" button (only visible with the lid up). There's a bar coming off the lid that's supposed to slide the switch in towards the center of the cd player when the lid is closed. (The bar is tapered.) If pressing the lid down a bit makes the player work, it's probably because the tapered bar isn't sliding the switch in towards center enough.

If this is the case, CAREFULLY push the bar towards the back of the player. This is easier with needle nose pliers, but BE CAREFUL, since you don't want to break the bar off. You only have to move the bar back a little bit to get it to trip the switch properly.

If that DOESN'T fix the problem, and you know the AC adapter is working/set up correctly, contact Silicon Salvage. They guarantee the player will work, so you shouldn't have any trouble arranging a replacement.

Dec 19, 2001 at 5:30 AM Post #64 of 107
oh boy, i dont like the sound of this...i'm expecting mine tomorrow...IT BETTER WORK!

George

Dec 19, 2001 at 5:34 AM Post #65 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Milestones
One question for those of you who have the Radio Shack 9v 800mA adaptor with the "M" adaptaplug - does the silver part of the plug go all the way into the D-25S unit? When I tried to plug the adaptor into the unit there was a point of resistance before the plug was entirely into the unit - Is this normal or do I have the wrong adaptaplug (it was labelled "M" - but who knows)?

No, the plug does not slide in all the way to the white plastic part. You can see about 1/8 inch of silver plug sticking out of the back. It works fine this way. DON'T force the plug -- you don't want to damage it.

See my previous post for some troubleshooting tips.

Dec 19, 2001 at 5:42 AM Post #66 of 107
One other comment, about the AC adapter. Double check the polarity. TIP should be NEGATIVE. Make sure you have the adapter set up correctly!

Dec 19, 2001 at 5:47 AM Post #67 of 107
My D-25S arrived today, and I set it up tonight. It sounds as good as the review says. I have the Radio Shack 273-1771 AC Adapter (the miniature one) and the M plug. The plug does NOT go all the way into the unit. When inserted, there's some resistance, then the tension changes and it goes in a bit further. But there's about 1/8" of shiny metal that is visible when the plug is fully inserted; i.e., the white plastic on the plug does NOT go flush with the player's case. I measured the internal jack, and it is 1/8" shorter than the plug -- but it works fine. Perhaps you folks pushed the plug in too far and broke something?

I have a case that fits the D-25S almost perfectly, by the way. IBM ThinkPad laptops have a modular drive bay, the UltraBay2000. The drives for that bay come with a black nylon padded carrying case that has a full-width velcro closure. These have been available on and off on the IBM parts website, but I can't find them right now.

Dec 19, 2001 at 5:55 AM Post #68 of 107
Eh, there's another thing to check with the AC adapter's polarity. Since we all know we don't have to read directions, it's too easy to put the AdaptaPlug in the wrong way. I did it that way - the wrong way - when I first bought it last week. The actual tip should not be pointing out of the side of the cable that says "tip." Just the opposite -- which is counter-intuitive. The AdaptaPlug has a + on the side with the actual plug, and a - on the back side. Align the - mark with the part of the cable bearing the word "tip."

Dec 19, 2001 at 5:55 AM Post #69 of 107
Another thing... kind of obvious, but worth checking anyway. Make sure the HOLD switch is in the LEFT position. HOLD prevents button presses from working...

Dec 19, 2001 at 5:58 AM Post #70 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
The actual tip should not be pointing out of the side of the cable that says "tip." Just the opposite -- which is counter-intuitive. The AdaptaPlug has a + on the side with the actual plug, and a - on the back side. Align the - mark with the part of the cable bearing the word "tip."

Uh, yeah -- I hadn't thought of it that way... you want the MINUS symbol on the "M" adaptaplug to be lined up with the word "TIP" on the adapter. I see how it could be confusing.

Dec 19, 2001 at 12:15 PM Post #71 of 107
Oh boy - do I feel stupid. I had the polarity wrong on the plug - it works fine now but since I'm at work this morning when I figured it out - I won't have a chance to test drive the unit until this evening.

Sorry for the false alarm. The directions on correctly inserting the plug are misleading to say the least.

Dec 19, 2001 at 3:55 PM Post #72 of 107
It turned out that the AC adapter is dead. I checked the two terminals of adapter with voltage meter and it gives no current. Crap.

Thanks for all the explanation about the tip and polarity. I will make sure those things with working AC adapter.

Thanks all,
jibra

Dec 20, 2001 at 1:27 AM Post #74 of 107
After this business about the adapter fit, and that gap, I decided to try and figure out how to prevent it from being pushed too far into the unit, or at least make it less likely to happen. The space between the metal shell of the case and the plastic covering of the plug is, at least on my sample, exactly 3 mm. So I made a bushing to cover the exposed metal and prevent over-insertion of the plug. Rummaging through the miscellaneous parts box, I found that vinyl wire cover, from some unidentifed speaker wire & lug set, had the right diameter to fit snugly, and was flat on the outer edge. I cut it to 3 mm width with an Xacto knife, pushed it on, and it works perfectly.

Thankfully I didn't have to explain to my wife what I was doing, or I'd be writing from the psycho ward. But, gee, I don't know if the black vinyl sounds better than the red vinyl...
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2001 at 2:54 AM Post #75 of 107
I just my unit today and must agree, it is amazing. I had no problem with the adapter, thankfully.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back