Review: Sony D-25S Portable CD Player (LONG)
Dec 24, 2001 at 7:27 AM Post #91 of 107
Just picked one up...couldn't resist. I've paid more for a mediocre meal in a restaurant, or for a parking ticket even! Beautiful review Russ. I've always wanted an RS 3904....I guess this is the next best thing (as far as out of production, quality pcdp's go). Can't wait to join in on the fun. My first non-panasonic pcdp! now if I could just find one of those Integra cdp's Russ is always talking about.....Thanks to Russ "Salesman of the year at Silicon Storage" Arcuri for a great find!

Dec 24, 2001 at 9:59 PM Post #92 of 107
We just got back from Kentucky for the weekend, and my D-25S was sitting at the front door waiting on me. Haven't played it yet since it was sitting outside in the cold for hours, but should have a chance tonight. The manual came today from Sony (only took 4-5 days), and I got the power supply from rat shack last week. Looks impressive, and hopefully it will sound impressive too.

Well, looks like Silicon Salvage still has plenty left. They currently have two auctions going on Ebay for the D-25S, one with 5 available, and the other with 7 available and the "buy it now" option. Looks like I will have to pick up another one after the holidays (if my first one is everything everybody says it is).

-Keith

Dec 25, 2001 at 6:26 PM Post #93 of 107
For anybody in the UK wanting this, you need to remember that the official PSU for this unit is 110V for US/Canada.

Sony do supply a PSU that is suitable. Details below:

AC-96NN: AC Adaptor

Rated Input: 240V AC, 50 Hz, 9 W
Rated Output: 9V DC, 600 mA
Dimensions: 1 3/4 x 3 x 2 1/4 in. (w/h/d)
Black color
Part No. 1-467-765-11: $141.95

To me the price seems very exorbitant. Nearly $100 more for nearly the same thing as the US one? The only difference is in the input voltage.

Welcome to Rip-Off Britain!!!!!
mad.gif

Dec 25, 2001 at 9:02 PM Post #95 of 107
Oh oh -- problems. My D-25S was a present from my wife to me (via myself). My earlier report was based on a quick test of a few tracks on two CDs, and two 'phones. Today I had a chance to listen at length, and it skips or hiccups on every single disk I try. This isn't a problem with the CDs, which work fine in three other drives/players. And this isn't a physical shock problem -- the unit is totally stable, and I can't make it skip without really shaking it. I'm calling Silicon Salvage first thing in the AM...

DAMN!!!

Dec 26, 2001 at 11:13 PM Post #96 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
You went to Kentucky and you *didn't* visit me?!?

How could you?

:p

Maybe next time
smily_headphones1.gif
My wife is from eastern Kentucky (Breathitt County, close to Jackson/Hazard) and we make the trip two or three times a year. Just noticed you're in Lexington, we pass within 10-15 miles of Lexington when we travel down.

-Keith

Dec 27, 2001 at 5:32 AM Post #98 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
Today I had a chance to listen at length, and it skips or hiccups on every single disk I try. This isn't a problem with the CDs, which work fine in three other drives/players. And this isn't a physical shock problem -- the unit is totally stable, and I can't make it skip without really shaking it. I'm calling Silicon Salvage first thing in the AM...

DAMN!!!

Have you been listening with CDRs or original CDs? I have one CDR that I've noticed consistently skips in one particular place - and it skips so badly that I have to manually fast-forward past it in order for the player to continue. I had hoped that this problem was just related to the CDR and the fact that I had burned it at 8x since I haven't noticed it with any other discs...if this happens with clean originals also or discs burned at 1x then I'll be pretty disappointed. It sure does sound good, but I suppose I could live with the line-out of a CT570 if that's what it takes to get skip-free playback.

Dec 27, 2001 at 9:16 AM Post #99 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Awesome!!

What HP's do you bring?
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe we can put together a Head-fi meet!!

....if anyone else remotely lives around here....

That would be great, a Kentucky Head-Fi meet. We'll probably be coming back through in the spring again. This time around I took down the Etymotics, Sony 888SP, and Koss KSC-35, mainly due to space constraints. Probably would have taken the Senn 580's but I didn't feel like dragging along an amp, and I hadn't gotten the Sony D-25S yet (it was waiting at the front door when we got back).

Man, this D-25S is awesome. When I got it on Christmas Eve I had a little time to listen to it, so I grabbed the nearest cans which happened to be my Grados and popped in Sam Phillips "the Indescribable Wow", and wow is right. Lots of detail, more than enough power, and no apparent colorations added by the player. I had the chance to listen to several more Sam Phillips CD's on Christmas day with the D-25S and my Senn 580's and Etys. It was able to drive the Senns louder than I wanted or needed it to, and has to be the best portable sound available with the 580's without an amp. "Unfortunately" I had to switch to my Etys after a short while because of my noisy little nephews in my parents small apartment. Still provided exceptional sound but kinda makes me wish I had gotten the ER4S instead of the P. I was listening at the lowest volume setting and it was still loud enough for enjoyable listening.

I liked it enough that I went home and ordered another one off of Ebay that night. I'll probably keep the spare packed away for future/replacement use. Of course I might just go nuts and buy one for every room in the house. The biggest shortcoming of this player in my mind is the proprietary short-lived, expensive battery which mostly limits it to use only where AC power is available. Oh well, I have other portables I can use for on the go
smily_headphones1.gif

-Keith

Dec 27, 2001 at 4:23 PM Post #100 of 107
The skipping is on regular CDs. Not CD-Rs. I called Silicon Salvage yesterday and they're sending me another one. They're very nice people to deal with.

Dec 27, 2001 at 5:26 PM Post #101 of 107
Well thanks to Russ' outstanding review, I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered one a couple of days ago. I don't even know why as I am pretty satisfied with my portable set-up, but the Sony looks soooooo cool.
smily_headphones1.gif
If it sounds half as good as it looks, at the price I paid, it's a steal.

Russ, thanks for the great review.

Dec 28, 2001 at 7:52 AM Post #103 of 107
I've noticed as well that mine is skipping on some original CDs. I have, however, used it with some CDs that play all the way through just fine without a hiccup. I suppose I'm going to have to get a replacement...I sure hope this isn't a trend with these players.

I wonder if maybe the player is extraordinarily sensitive to off-balance CDs or something...every CD I tried was perfectly clean and scratch-free, but some would skip and some wouldn't. I couldn't see any pattern.

Dec 28, 2001 at 9:41 AM Post #104 of 107
It is possible it is a balance problem, but I would guess it just has poor error correction circuitry being an early generation player. I've played close to a dozen CD's through it so far, and only one, "the LOTR Soundtrack" that is only a week old had some very obvious skips/dropouts on the first track. All of the other 17 tracks played flawlessly. I tried the same CD on my Panasonic CT-570 and got a couple of very minor dropouts on track one (and only with anti-skip off), but not nearly as bad as the D-25S. I tried it on a Sony discman made in 1994 (two years after my D-25S) and it skipped worse than the D-25S. I'll have to keep playing various CD's through to see if any further problems occur.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back