Review: Skullcandy Mix Master – Duality
Apr 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #16 of 65
Thanks!

Just ordered some V-Moda's also... probably will compare against these Mix Masters! :wink:

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:
This may not appear like a serious question, but it is... does the Skullcandy Mix Master Mike sound at all similar to the LCD-2 or LCD-3?

If you think it does, or doesn't, I made a thread on the topic.

Aside from the very general sense of having good presence across the frequency range with no major peaks or recessions (aside from the very ends of the spectrum), no. The detail resolution, dynamics, and overall presentation of the LCD-2 are in a different league, as well they should be with that price difference. 

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 65
great review...
what drew my attention to this can was the immediate comfort and spatial sound coming out of this skull. :p
but... after a few hours, the clampforce and the plastic rub on my ears took its toll, and i had to unskull this can from my head.
 have to do the cottonbudstuffing, thanks for the tip.
wink.gif

Initially i held back buying this can becos of the symbol on this can, looks like a sat**nic goat....
devil_face.gif

but then again it looks like a TRIPLE M locked in a circular form..anyway..:p

didnt see any left or right sign on the cups...i guess the right cup must be the one with the MUTE switch.
So far its been enjoyable, like a grado closedcan..very upfront...good clarity..
but clarity can be improved if i dare to cut off the inner cloth lining the cups.

need to put on my leather jacket and find the remains of my harley..and take a foto for my album.
ph34r.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #21 of 65

Quote:
didnt see any left or right sign on the cups...i guess the right cup must be the one with the MUTE switch.

I don't think there is an L/R marking. I found it easy to remember that the 'forks' holding the cups are supposed to point forward, not backward. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Initially i held back buying this can becos of the symbol on this can, looks like a sat**nic goat....
devil_face.gif

but then again it looks like a TRIPLE M locked in a circular form..anyway..:p

biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 65
These gotta be one of the coolest looking headphones I've ever encountered.  Smaller than I thought.  They do not look bulky at all on.  I listened to them straight out of the iPhone and found it kind of boomy.  I plugged it into the Fiio E9/E10 combo and it sounds quite nice.  I really like the mid range and the treble on these.  The bass might be the worst flaw from what I can tell because it can get boomy but it doesn't offend me like the Denon AH-D1100 did for me.  They don't sound much like the LCD-2 that I own.  LCD-2's sound much cleaner, especially the bass.  

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #23 of 65
i did the cottonstuffings, and its been three hours since...total bliss...no more sore eartips. 
duggehsmile.png

just hooked it up to a LYR for the first time...wow..this can sounds crazy manifiqco ...good energy, aiiry, tightbass on greg karukas
Maksim is well under control...hayley westenra quite good.. just some quick feel. 
this can should be good value for pops, jazz, n styling if u like this kinda look.

For orchestras , i still have to explore further,, i wouldnt say its got exceptional separation,,,like a T5p..:p
popcorn.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #24 of 65
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For orchestras , i still have to explore further,, i wouldnt say its got exceptional separation,,,like a T5p..:p

I listened to the MMM yesterday, it's a very good headphone, I rate it above the Sennheiser HD25-II and Audio Technica AD700 which I tried in the same store.

It's clearly above the Aviator, but I still think the Skullcandy Uprock has an awesome colouration.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #25 of 65
since i have started stuffing , decided to put more cotton towards the back of the earpads...indirectly angling the drivers a little..tot there is an improvement in central focus.
isolation improved a tad, less leakage behind the ears...? lol.

the store that i tried the MMM had the beats mixrs...focal spirit one...mmm MMM stuck out like a sorethumb with the bigger soundstage and sonic range.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #26 of 65
I listened to the MMM yesterday, it's a very good headphone, I rate it above the Sennheiser HD25-II and Audio Technica AD700 which I tried in the same store.

It's clearly above the Aviator, but I still think the Skullcandy Uprock has an awesome colouration.

Ahaa, someone who agrees with me :p
I own a HD 25 II and I tried the SC MM yesterday... I was stunned!
although the reviewer thought otherwise, I found the MM very open with a huge soundstage(better than the HD 25 II)
the bass is really growling without getting boomy, the highs and mids are also great.
I was never fond of the Skullcandy headphones but these blew my mind.
The only reason I won't buy them is de fact that the build quality really is bad... Heard in many reviews that they just broke :s
but nontheless, awesome sound by sculcandy (whoe would have thought!?)

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:
these or m50 if they cost the same?

That would be a crazy price for the Mix Master's.  I'd buy it for the price alone but I like the sound of the Mix Master's more.  The M50's clamping force was a bit uncomfortable and if you find the Mix Master's uncomfortable, just stuff a couple of cotton balls under the pads and you're good to go.  The M50's get a lot of praise and the Mix Master's are overlooked but it really is a good sounding headphone.  

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #29 of 65
Quote:
That would be a crazy price for the Mix Master's.  I'd buy it for the price alone but I like the sound of the Mix Master's more.  The M50's clamping force was a bit uncomfortable and if you find the Mix Master's uncomfortable, just stuff a couple of cotton balls under the pads and you're good to go.  The M50's get a lot of praise and the Mix Master's are overlooked but it really is a good sounding headphone.  

cool, which one leaks more/ isolates better?

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #30 of 65
They are about the same in sound leakage/isolation, maybe the M50s deliver a better fit (ence a slightly better isolation) on a wider range of head sizes due to the stronger clamping force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back