Review: Shure SE530
Feb 1, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #61 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you buy this? I am so sick of the ****ty fit on the Shure 530 as well..

Se530_foamies.jpg

I got a 10 pair pack at guitar center ... payed way to much, something like 30 bucks which is a total rip.

You can get the same pack for 12 dollars on ebay ...

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #63 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that sucks, was it when they were on you?
ue 11, everytime someone mentions them i get jealous!

i aways feel safer wearing my expensive iems cause most people will think theyre worth nothing, your more likely to be mugged with the apple buds!

me too!
biggrin.gif

def on my wishlist

still on my honeymoon period with the SE530s though, ****in love em

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #64 of 143
Hi
I want buy shure SE530 or Grado SR225. I know this headphone is different construction. Can somebody compare their sound that are better (highs, space)? Can be SE530 better then clasical construction such as SR225, HD600, K701?

Thank you for eventually help.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #66 of 143
They are head and shoulders above the black olives or silicone tips for sound quality. The only drawback to them is they get dirty quickly and eventually don't expand anymore. If you can afford SE530s, you can afford the foamies for the best sound!

FYI, I've "rented" a set of E4Gs from where I work today, and did a full comparison between those and my beloved SE530s, and I felt that the E4, for a single driver unit, is very sweet sounding. The low end isn't as pronounced as the 530s, but the highs may sound arguably better than the latter to some. No matter, with the mid-range of the 530s being arguably the best on the IEM market today, the E4's just don't compare.

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #67 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by themyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are head and shoulders above the black olives or silicone tips for sound quality. The only drawback to them is they get dirty quickly and eventually don't expand anymore. If you can afford SE530s, you can afford the foamies for the best sound!

FYI, I've "rented" a set of E4Gs from where I work today, and did a full comparison between those and my beloved SE530s, and I felt that the E4, for a single driver unit, is very sweet sounding. The low end isn't as pronounced as the 530s, but the highs may sound arguably better than the latter to some. No matter, with the mid-range of the 530s being arguably the best on the IEM market today, the E4's just don't compare.

I totally agree with your comments regarding the E4 series ... one of the best deals in the IEM world in my opinion.

There are some aspects that I think outshine even the SE530 ... but the 530's have more favorable qualities in the long run.

I especially like the default tone of the E4's bass; though the 530's have more bass presence, the default tone of the 530's is not as nice as the E4's, which, to my ear are just perfect in their naturalness and tone when outputting bass frequencies (though you have to listen for it).

I wish I had kept my E4's now instead of selling them; would have made a great set of backup cans to my 530's ..

wink.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #68 of 143
My backup cans are starting to give me a headache... (super.fi 5 eb) I might just return them. They sound like a lot of noise and no quality. Before really getting into the high-end stuff, I was a bass head, I would attempt to attach a big sub to almost any output source possible, but either simply because of age or a change in musical preference, I like my music more balanced (although I still push the EQ a little on the low end).

Quite honestly, the combination of the SE530s on the go, and Senn HD555 for home listening is just about right for me. Just give me a price drop on the HD600 and I will be an extremely happy camper!!

Feb 21, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #69 of 143
s1rrah,

Damn!! ****ing GREAT review. You've definitely pushed a number of my buttons; you've actually posted music (samples)...on Head-fi, what a concept!; you've invoked the holy name of Magnapan, i pray at the alter of monolith planars daily; and you've improved the sound of my SE530s just by changing out the olives for foamies (up to the notch), thanks!!

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #70 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
s1rrah,

Damn!! ****ing GREAT review. You've definitely pushed a number of my buttons; you've actually posted music (samples)...on Head-fi, what a concept!; you've invoked the holy name of Magnapan, i pray at the alter of monolith planars daily; and you've improved the sound of my SE530s just by changing out the olives for foamies (up to the notch), thanks!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Wasn't trying to break new ground or anything ... just exercising my rights under the Fair Use Act and all. Such demos are fine for education/review purposes as long as you own the original CD. See my link in the first portion of the review, just before the samples are posted if you want to read more on the Fair Use Act of 1976.

Anyway ...

I do like the 530's but they have required finessing of my gear to get the most out of them. And with that finessing out of the way ... I just can't take them off (until I sit down at home and put my RS1's on, that is)
wink.gif

As I've said ... I think the E4 series has a much more natural and just downright sexy bass tone that leaves no doubt as to the faithfulness of the reproduction. The E4's, on the other hand don't have the slam and pure bass power that the 530's have and nor do they have the detail and soundstage of the 530's ... but the default bass tone is more true I believe.

But with tweaking and using the right tips (all silicon tips are a no go for me and the 530's) I can get the 530's sounding fairly neutral in the bass region and while retaining all the punch and slam that I so love about them.

Seriously. I've never heard headphones with the non distorting and slamming volume potential of the 530's ... nothing I've heard can touch it. The 530's, as I've read elsewhere will HURT you if your not careful. The volume ceiling is unbelievable.

My RS1's, though another beast entirely and one that I do love ... are far better at critical and spatial listening and are totally schooled by the 530's in the slam/volume department; but again ... they are made for completely different applications I think. The RS1's in turn, totally school the 530's in the realm of soundstage, detail and warmth.

Anyway ... enjoy your cans. Thanks for the comment.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #72 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by hmpf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
s1rrah: Do you prefer sound Grado SR225 or Shure SE530? I can't decide. I will use with mp3player it.

Wow. That's a tough one.

Right off the top of my head ... and since I own both, I'd have to honestly say the SE530's are quite a bit more fun than the SR225's; the SR225's stomp the SE530's in the soundstage department but they fall behind or are equal in others.

The SE530's bass is way more capable, the detail is just as good from one can to the other and I think the SE530's have just a tad better/more agreeable high frequency delivery as well.

If you really want to have music that both sounds great AND can be as slamming and punchy as the human ear can withstand, then go with the SE530's.

If you want a wide and spacious sound field, don't care about others hearing t he music, are not too concerned with huge/loud bass and don't mind high frequencis that can get painful at high volumes, then go with the SR225's (also, if your going to be listening to predominantly classical, go with the 225's). The one thing I don't think the SE530's are all *that* great at is classical. But the 225's have no where near the volume/clarity at high volumes capabilities of the Shures ...

Had I absolutely no headphones and had to pick between those two ... it'd be the SE530's.

That said ... I make no gaurantees you'll agree with any of that and so use your better judgement and try to listen to both first.

(ALSO: in Grado's defense... I think my Grado RS1's are much better than *both* the SE530's and the SR225's
wink.gif
)

Have fun.

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #73 of 143
would you consider the 530 a big jump in SQ from the 420.. It's quite abit of a jump in price isn't it.. so unless the SQ improves that much arbitrarily.. I find it hard to commit to getting one of those.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #74 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would you consider the 530 a big jump in SQ from the 420.. It's quite abit of a jump in price isn't it.. so unless the SQ improves that much arbitrarily.. I find it hard to commit to getting one of those.

No, truth be told, I don't think the 530 will offer advantage worth the increase in price over the 420.

Were I to do it all over ... I'd get the 420 over the 530.

I say this because in all honesty ... I really didn't think the 530 was *that* much of an improvement over the E4C that I had before ... only in soundstage, detail and bass impact ... but otherwise ... the E4C is still a pretty close competitor considering it can be had for 100 bucks ...

I'd recommend buying below the 530 to get the best value out of your money ...

That said ... there's something 7337 about having the top of the line anything ... even if it just marginally tops it's predecessors ...

wink.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #75 of 143
it can be had for 100? gotta be kidding me!!! Did it drop in value by so much!!!

how about the Um2 Vs the 4Cs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back