Review: Shure SE530 - Hail to the King of this hill
Sep 10, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #17 of 67
Very comprehensive and nicely written review, thanks a lot for your efforts Shigzeo. The higher price and the presistant worry about the cable cracking issues made me opt for the Sleek SA6 a year ago, another good all-rounder mid-oriented IEM. So far still happy with them. As you noted, until Shure address their cable issue, the UM3X remains top of my upgrade list.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #18 of 67
Very nice review, shigzeo and kinda courageous, too. I've been reading a lot of SE530 "bashing" here lately, and I don't mean for build quality. BTW the probability of cable cracking can be easily reduced by using earhooks.

Though my IE8 get more listening time lately, the SE530 remain one of the best IEMs I've ever heard. They sound excellent right out of the box. In comparison the CK100 gave me a hard first weeks with their incredibly source/tips picky attitude. I know now that they can sound better than the SE530 but it was a tedious learning process.

Bottom line, I pretty much agree with you that the king has not been dethroned yet.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #19 of 67
Thank you. I am by no way saying it is the best, but it is one of the best. I think there are several hills (moguls in their right) among high end iems and this is one. If build were up to Westone/Earsonics level, I would rate this as highly as the W3 and UM3X. I don't see how either necessarily 'sounds better' unless you are really just into their sound 'quality'=character.

Shure are a huge company and I think their abundance in the market place brings them into strain here at headfi in a similar way, yet in lesser degree to bose, skullcandy, monster, etc., - if a layperson knows even the slightest bit about different brands, shure is probably one of the brands they know of.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #21 of 67
I have had my SE530's for about 2 years now - the sound is amazing when coupled to mt D2 and FLAC recordings.

Fitting however took a little time - I use the 3 sponge thingys - you know the clearish rubber ones BUT to get them to feel absolutely correct I bought a whole bage of uncut ear buds and experimented with the cut off length.

I also found that by NOT running the cable around over and under my ears made them even more secure and comfortable too.

I can now wear them on a 10 hour flight with comfort and without any adjustment - perfect!

khushy

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #22 of 67
My 530's have been spending a lot of time on the shelf until I had to find the best earphones for the new Beatle's remasters. They can't be beat for swimming through the boys' harmonies.
I'm off to a week in Mexico, diving and witnessing the de-evolution of the sixties. The 530's are definitely going along.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #23 of 67
I am shocked. I too came into this thread just to read what he wrote about the CK10s. I don't care about the SE530s.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am shocked. I too came into this thread just to read what he wrote about the CK10s. I don't care about the SE530s.

Shocked??

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #26 of 67
SE530 would probably be the assistant vice-president of the hill. The king spot belongs to the ety ER4's (imho...)

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #27 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530 would probably be the assistant vice-president of the hill. The king spot belongs to the ety ER4's (imho...)

You mean for classical...

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #28 of 67
shigzeo-
Very nice review, as are all of yours. This is still one top end earphone I haven't had the pleasure of trying, but I have to say that your review really makes me want to. As do your comments about the CK10. How would you say the bass of those two compare? Also, how about the bass of the SE530 compared to the Atrio, IE8, and FX500?

What do you think of the Shure's soundstage?

Thanks in advance.....

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #29 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean for classical...

Etys are great for techno and pop too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back