Review: Shure SE530 - Hail to the King of this hill
Sep 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #61 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely understand! I appreciate the feedback... I need more instances of quelling the curiousity about the 'other side'.
ksc75smile.gif

Now can you talk me out of the JH13's? ...I've been mulling over that stratospherically priced set of custom BA's... Think 6 drivers can help bridge the gap to the impact dynamics offer?

Well I don't know if I can do that but what I can say is that I gave some serious thought to purchasing the JH/13 Pros. I followed the thread with interest and the consistently high praise for these phones can't be ignored. The JH/13 Pros appear to have become the new benchmark by which all other custom balanced armature IEMs will be judged.

But in the end, I just couldn't bring myself to spend that amount of money on a set of earphones. It felt like the ultimate folly in a hobby that I find difficult enough to justify as it is. But as they say, "whatever floats your boat".

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #62 of 67
well i gave up my shure 530 after the cable broke and got a ie8. i really miss the detailed mids of the shures, it was quite magical!

if only the ie8 had the detail....oh well you cant have them all :p

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #63 of 67
I've had the 530s for about a year. I also have the um3x, triple.fi, and the um3x. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses. The 530s are strong on acoustic and vocals. Very smoooooth.
And on my monitor, sometimes I like to look into the shadows.
Sandy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the UK and they are around 250GBP = $417!
I agree at $250 they are worth buying, so buy them but remember to reply here afterwards to tell me I was right about the sound signature
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you turn down the colour on your monitor to view the web?
NO! because you will miss out on all the colour. So why listen to IEMs with the high frequencies turned down? - You miss out on all the sparkle.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #65 of 67
I have had some Shure SE530's for perhaps a decade now, and in that time have progressed from Samsung and LG phones to using AK SP1000M, AK70 and Chord Mojo 2 to drive them. Occasionally they get plugged into a Burson Conductor 3x or a Chord Qutest/Sparkos Aries combo. My current collection of headphones also includes Audeze LCDi3, LCD3, LCD4, LCDxc.

The Shure's remain exceptional and a much loved, practical headphone. The fit for me is excellent and the sound isolation is outstanding, including on public transport and airliners. The accessories are great, cable extensions, tips, carry case, etc.

Are they good value for money? Others here have compared them to things in their price range and I'm not in a position to do that. What I can say is I never feel let down or that they are lacking, despite much of my listening being done on expensive planar headphones and top end speaker systems in home and car hifi, and as many live gigs as I can get to.

They are so practical and they sound amazing. I never feel let down when I listen to them and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Feb 10, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #66 of 67
The 530's were released back in 2007. First pair of 'expensive' iems I owned. They were good back in the day (or I didn't know any better then) - certainly +ve reviews at the time - but the 530's (and the 535's which I also own) are no longer remotely competitive. Mids are nice but treble rolls off sharply well before 10k, bass is underwhelming BA bass, stage and technicals are mediocre. Head to head with a $20 Salnotes Zero, the Zero is significantly better in every way except comfort. I get the thing about bonding with an old favorite, but fierce competition in the iem space in the last few years has left those older models in the dust. The 535's still sell for US$450 but there are a bunch of sub $100 models that wipe the floor with them now. Hard to beat the fit of that Shure shell though.

Feb 10, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #67 of 67
The Shure 530 were one special headphone with some Dynamic Amber qualities perhaps better than the Earsonics SEM6. I had to get them back in the form of 535s for my 'Movie Tracks' and 'Space Specs' Microsd compilations in the Cowon Z2. What a special experience. The current headphones can't seem to produce it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back