[REVIEW]: Sennheiser MX 980 : High-Fidelity Metal Crafted Headphone
May 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kenta

Head-Fier
Intro
Sennheiser released all new 980-series of earphones which all share some basic design elements (and might be the sound signature as well). The design of the new 980-series was taken care by BMW design department in USA. Since I live in Munich, Germany, I feel the familiar touch of BMW ideas everywhere over the whole package of this MX 980.

I personally own Sennheiser HD-800 and HD-650 and am quite familiar with its house-sound, also the built and finishing quality of the Sennheiser. Their implementation in each ear/headphone are quite unique. I am happy to see these important and renowned factors are transfered to MX 980 really well.

In this review, I test the MX 980 with all of my gears available and intentionally accross its category. I know it is not professional but I got my point doing this. Listening was done using Meier-Audio Symphony to drive all the headphones and Marantz CD5003 as source via coaxial.

Design and Fit
The MX 980 is quoted by Sennheiser as a "High-Fidelity Metal Crafted Headphone". In my opinion, the High-Fidelity should not apply to the sound quality alone but also the whole, overall feeling of headphone. I have been enjoying the MX 980 not just only the initial sonic perspective but also each individual accessory. There are evidences everywhere of their well-thought which conveyed to the whole package.

Like the quote, MX 980 is finished with brushed aluminium alloy which host a large black plastic speaker housing. On the left alloy part, serial-number is laser-engraved on it. The cables run from each side of earphones to the splitter. There is a collar here similar to the SHUREs which adjusts the cable length from the splitter to earphones for a better fit. In the middle of the cable there is a volume adjust. Ok, I believe some of you will stop reading here. I am not a fan of volume control too. I have heard that the use of such thing is fobidden in the Hi-Fi territory. But surprisingly, I feel it is just right for MX 980 ( I will come back to this later in listening part). The cable is terminated to an excellent 3.5mm plug. The plug is finished with the same alloy used on the earphones. MX 980 is one of the most beautiful earphones I have ever seen. The feeling of quality alone might worth the price tag of 110 EURO.

The accessories are generously included. You get an in-flight adapter, a cable clip, a leather carrying case with a hard plastic to properly keep your MX 980. All accessories are designed to match the MX 980 well. The packaging itself is also well done and attractive. For the look alone, it is hard to surpress the price of MX 980 below 100 EURO. It does look exclusive and special. It weight considerably more than the usual earphones but not too much for you to feel uncomfortable.

The lastest earphones I own is SONY MDR-E888. I like it a lot for its sound quality and the acceptable fit. I have less problem to keep it stable on my ears than MX 980. I feel the fit of MX 980 is not that right. Due to the round and large black speaker housing, it does not fit on my ears well. It drops often. As usual for an earphones (earpads) the right fit is extremly critical. This affects the sound quality specially in mid and low. I leave MX 980 at home since listening on the go is not at all practical. I rely on SHURE SE530 or SONY MDR-E888 on this matter. MX 980 due to improper fit, performs relatively disappointing to block the outside noise. But whenever, you have the right fit, you will be tremendously rewarded (like I do right now typing this review for you guys).

Sound Quality
Sennheiser says (in the advertisement) this earphones is balanced and preicsely reproduces the sound. I might have to agree with them. MX 980 prefroms very well. After burn-in for a week, it shines and claim the place as one of the best earphones (non-IEM) I have ever owned or experienced.

Its mid is very smooth with a bit touch of warmer side. The high is extended well not exaggerately sparkling but neutral. If you get the rigth fit, you will have a extended bass. Powerful yet laid back but not that abyssally deep. MX 980 has wide soundstage mostly horizontal. The soundstage is considerably huge and fairly spartial for the earphone this size.

Kelly Sweet sings her latest hit "Raincoat" sweetly. Her voice matches the smoothness of MX 980. Arne Domnerus's "Limehouse Blues" from Jazz at the Pawnshop is lively. Saxophone is smooth and positioned well. The imaging of each individual instruments are placed quite clearly though not spartially. They group together in the middle with some impreceptible depth difference. The new album of Sol Gabetta, ELGAR Cello Concerto, "Track 1 - Concerto for cello and orchestra in E minor, op. 85" has the same lovely mid to high exhibited in those mentioned tracks. The positioning of instrument though nice is not that pin-point precise.

Compare to SONY MDR-E888, the mid of MX 980 is a lot smoother but no extended high of E888. Together with that extended bass, where E888 fails considerably, the MX 980 outperforms E888 for its mid and low. I compared it to SHURE SE530 as well. SE530 have the precision from its excellent 3 amature drivers. The soundstaging and imaging are well done with it. I believe everyone knows that SE530 is a reference for years. Although SE530 is a lot better in many areas especially fit and comfort compared to MX 980, MX 980 does not lack the inspiring sonic experience at all. In a quiet listening environment, MX 980 is enjoyable and laid back yet fun to listen for its overall sound quality.

Something worth to mention is that MX 980 might require an Amp to drive it to its full potential. I amped it to Meier-Audio Symphony in low-gain mode. Though Sennheiser claims its 120 dB sensitivity, I find it lacks some of its smoothness and impack in the low region when used with my COWON A3. SE530, however has no problem mating with A3.

Note: volume control
As mentioned earlier, MX 980 comes with non detachable volume control in the middle between cable spliter and 3.5mm plug. This is however not a conventional volume control which turn the volume totally off and zero position. MX 980's implementation is a bit different since it does not completely turn the volume down but set it at low but audible level. This implementation might be very useful is you are on the go and use MX 980 with your phone or mp3-players. I am kind of like it.

Conclusion
Before I jump to conclusion, I was convinced to test MX 980 with HD-650. Because of its sound very Sennheiser to my ears. I came to conclusion that MX 980 reminds me a lot of HD-650. It is warm and smooth mid to high similarly to HD-650 with relatively extended low. Of course I don't mean MX 980 is comparable to HD-650. It is just a feeling that you can have a Sennheiser HD-650's house-sound in this little package. That alone might worth for anyone who likes HD-650 and would like to have it on the go.

There you have it, my first ever full review of an earphone. I would be appreciated your reply and comment. Thanks in advance!

PS: Will try to put some photos later

May 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 22
Thanks for the nicely written review kenta!  The MX980 sounds like it'd be right up my alley, though I'm a bit worried about the fit.  Well, that and the fact that I don't have $200 to spend.
frown.gif

May 16, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 22
I got it here in Germany on Amazon.de for 110 EURO shipped (~140 USD). I have heard that you might need to pay more in many other countries.

May 16, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 22
Hi, good review.  I also came away with similar results on my review thread of the Mx980s

I dont think I had the comfort issues you did though, maybe my ears are freakishly large?  Also, I found that it does really need an amp.  When used with my sansa fuze, i found it lacking heavily but still pretty amazing.  With a D3, the sparkle appeared strong and vibrant and made it that much more amazing. 

I'll have to pull out my old HD650 and see if i come away with your results :)

Would you say its better than the Yuin Pk1?  I found it to be MUCHHHH better :D

May 16, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
Hi, good review.  I also came away with similar results on my review thread of the Mx980s

I dont think I had the comfort issues you did though, maybe my ears are freakishly large?  Also, I found that it does really need an amp.  When used with my sansa fuze, i found it lacking heavily but still pretty amazing.  With a D3, the sparkle appeared strong and vibrant and made it that much more amazing. 

I'll have to pull out my old HD650 and see if i come away with your results :)

Would you say its better than the Yuin Pk1?  I found it to be MUCHHHH better :D

You maybe right with the fit. I have relatively small ears that make me not a fan of earpads. I might have to add that when compared with SHURE SE530 and the other headphones namely HD650, MX 980 lacks a bit extended high exsisting in them.

I personally don't have a PK-1 but borrowed once from a friend. So I don't want to give a comment comparing these two. But I might say that MX 980 has some edge over PK-1.

May 16, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 22
You said something about them not having extended highs.  My experience is vastly different.  I found the highs to be incredibly powerful and accurate, but then again it may be because I am amping them properly.  As I said in my review, unamped to amped is a very large difference. 

Im actually buying a second pair :)

May 16, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 22
Thanks for taking the time to do a detail review.  A bummer you do not have the Yuin Pk series to compare to.  Seems like the MX 980 might not be too friendly for portable use as it needs a dedicated amp to shine and there's a fit problem.  I might just opt for the MX880 series since it costs half as much and I do like smooth bass with better bass response with nice mids.

May 17, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 22
wohooo, nice review...now I'm greatly interested in these earphone, going to check with my local disti whether they're going to bring them here, or else...i'll just buy it from "next door" :D thanks kenta

May 17, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
You said something about them not having extended highs.  My experience is vastly different.  I found the highs to be incredibly powerful and accurate, but then again it may be because I am amping them properly.  As I said in my review, unamped to amped is a very large difference. 

About the extended high, I won't say that MX 980 is not good. It is incredibly good considering that excellent mid and powerful low altogether. But since I compared it to some of my gears, says HD-650, E888, SE 530 and even HD-800, I can hear some better and extended high from the others.

May 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 22
well thats an immensely unfair comparison rofl

you talking about a 200$ set of earbuds rivaling the best and most expensive sennheisers you can get that are FULL sized  :\

lol, of course they wont be as good as them, but the highs for a set of buds are nuts on the mx980s

May 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:

That is a very good decision.
I already have two pairs of MX 980 :)
One from a local shop for the official price and one second hand for less than half of the price.
These earbuds are just stunning :)
They are caressing my ears.

May 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
well thats an immensely unfair comparison rofl

you talking about a 200$ set of earbuds rivaling the best and most expensive sennheisers you can get that are FULL sized  :\

lol, of course they wont be as good as them, but the highs for a set of buds are nuts on the mx980s

Dear swb2cheater,

It is a subjective matter really. I didn't state in any part of my review that I tried to compare MX 980 with the other headphones from different categories in term of their sound quality. Purpose of comparing is to find the house-sound of Sennheiser. Nothing more than that. Please understand this point. MX 980 wins over other earbuds as my favourite earbuds already. There is nothing for it to prove, of course, in its own class.

Regarding your impression on MX 980, I am really happy for you, cause I am happy with it as much as you do. I just stated in my review and all answer to you that if you would convince that the high found in MX 980 would be "freakingly amazing" as you said in your review, I might need to hold back a bit, since I have comepare it to SONY MDR-E888 and found it is better than MX 980 in just this particular region.

All in all, I would say this is a matter of listening experiences from each individual. That is why we share our thoughts and reviews over Head-Fi, right ?
dt880smile.png

May 18, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 22
the sonys have an insane frequency response, but I am much more fond of sennheisers sound over the sony buds.  I expect them to be foward sounding and muddy :\

just goes from experience, im sure they will be awesome in the low range but a bit muddy, and the highs will likely bleed into everything.  Meh, id bet my reputation here at head fi i am right about them heh :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back