[Review] Sennheiser IE800: Impressions, Frustration and a bunch of What-Ifs
Nov 22, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #451 of 509
Does anyone have any thoughts on how to import the RCS 800 to the US cheaply?

Edit: I guess I actually need the RCA 800.

Edit2: It looks like the RCA 800 was never released. Does anyone know of any high-quality substitutes?

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #452 of 509
Can someone please give me an overview on the IE80 vs. IE800 for EDM, namely house and techno, and WHY?  I've read the IE800 has more sub-bass than the IE80?

Price wise in the UK I can get new and sealed IE80 for £200, or used IE800 for £400.  Budget is up to circa £400 or a little more.

Of course any other IEM suggestions are welcome which I can investigate.  I previously/currently owned Hippo VB and Sony XB90 but want something more up market now.

I've cross posted in the IE800 thread too for a balanced response.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #453 of 509
Hi oHUTCHYo - I have both iems and one thing I would recommend is that you try and get a test of the ie800s for ear fit as this can seriously diminish your listening experience and sound quality. If you can get a perfect fit with the ie800s the sound brilliant, but if you are like me and they are constantly slipping out - using the mid size ear tips. The smallest size stay in but sound poor due the lack of seal. This issue means that I rarely use them after me saving up for them and finally getting a pair. The replacement tips are very expensive too should you lose them.

So I'd say that for comparison purposes the ie80 are a great quality day to day iem - comfortable fit, good quality sound if a little heavy on the bass and ones that you could be very happy with. The ie800s while a step up in sound quality - the issues regarding fit and eartips is a critical one so I'd definitely try before you buy if you are able - I know I wish I had.

Regrets...I have a few....

Berth

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #455 of 509
Huh?  so how or why do the IE80's fit better than the IE800's?  Just looking at the design it would seem the IE800's fit much easier?

The IE80, somehow, are one of, if not the most, comfortable IEMs I've ever tried. Somehow.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #456 of 509
The IE80, somehow, are one of, if not the most, comfortable IEMs I've ever tried. Somehow.

X2. Though, considering their shape, I'd reckon that larger ears have an advantage over smaller ones. Anyway, they stay much more securely in place than the IE800.

Funny coincidence, btw: since all my new toys (FX850, FX1100, Heaven VII, Titan 1) are being taken off my hands right now, I decided to dust off my old IE8 and try the front-vent mod on them. Result: wish I'd discovered that mod years ago when the IE8 were my main IEMs, as it makes their bass hump a lot more tolerable lol.

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #458 of 509
Hey guys, I was just wondering something. Everybody seems to be so full of praise of the IE800, some saying they are better than the SE846 etc. I had the IE800 for 2 weeks, and was instantly impressed with their soundstage, clarity and instrument separation.

But overall, they sounded very thin (IMO), especially compared to the warm sounding Earsonics SM64. The sound just appeared to lack 'body', or fullness which was a pretty big turnoff. I won't argue that the IE800 sounds excellent for certain genres like classical or jazz, but to me they sounded off when the music required some kind of energy. I'm talking about EDM, hip hop, electro, pop and music like that. Now I'm not talking about the bass; bass is fine. I'm talking about the overall musicality. 

Before you all ask, I briefly considered if they were fake. But the serial code matched, and the soundstage and clarity were so superb that I seriously doubt a knockoff could mimick that. I've spoken with 2 other head fi'ers that had both the SM64 and IE800, and they felt exactly the same. Both of them bought theirs directly from a dealer (mine was from head fi). In fact, I came in contact with one of them because I offered to trade my SM64 + cash. He had already sold the IE800, but strongly advised I kept with the SM64 because overall it sounded better, albeit with a much smaller soundstage.

Now just to be clear. I'm not here to bash the IE800. I'm genuinely here to ask if anyone recognizes what I'm saying concerning the thin sound, but doesn't care because it suits there music taste. Or, if everyone hear says that the IE800s sound very full and there was possibly something wrong. Or maybe the SM64 is just an exceptionally full sounding iem, which just makes the IE800 sound thin. I thought the same about the Grado GR10 btw, very thin sound compared to the SM64. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #459 of 509
Hey guys, I was just wondering something. Everybody seems to be so full of praise of the IE800, some saying they are better than the SE846 etc. I had the IE800 for 2 weeks, and was instantly impressed with their soundstage, clarity and instrument separation.

But overall, they sounded very thin (IMO), especially compared to the warm sounding Earsonics SM64. The sound just appeared to lack 'body', or fullness which was a pretty big turnoff. I won't argue that the IE800 sounds excellent for certain genres like classical or jazz, but to me they sounded off when the music required some kind of energy. I'm talking about EDM, hip hop, electro, pop and music like that. Now I'm not talking about the bass; bass is fine. I'm talking about the overall musicality. 

Before you all ask, I briefly considered if they were fake. But the serial code matched, and the soundstage and clarity were so superb that I seriously doubt a knockoff could mimick that. I've spoken with 2 other head fi'ers that had both the SM64 and IE800, and they felt exactly the same. Both of them bought theirs directly from a dealer (mine was from head fi). In fact, I came in contact with one of them because I offered to trade my SM64 + cash. He had already sold the IE800, but strongly advised I kept with the SM64 because overall it sounded better, albeit with a much smaller soundstage.

Now just to be clear. I'm not here to bash the IE800. I'm genuinely here to ask if anyone recognizes what I'm saying concerning the thin sound, but doesn't care because it suits there music taste. Or, if everyone hear says that the IE800s sound very full and there was possibly something wrong. Or maybe the SM64 is just an exceptionally full sounding iem, which just makes the IE800 sound thin. I thought the same about the Grado GR10 btw, very thin sound compared to the SM64. 

I do not own SM64 nor have tried it, but in addition to IE800 I do own the other pair of IEM that you mentioned in your post: SE846. Comparing to other IEMs, I think the term you're looking for here that is missing in IE800 is "brightness". Right, IE800 doesn't sound bright, so it won't sound exciting when you listen to modern music. However, as you stated, it is excellent for classical, and I would also recommend IE800 for instrumental music, especially string instruments. Another area that IE800 excels in is male voice. In my case, I use IE800 to listen to the genres I mentioned above, and SE846 for the rest.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #460 of 509
Hmm interesting thanks for responding. I wouldn't say brightness.. The SM64's are a LOT darker. I actually didn't realize they were so dark until I heard the IE800. I think what I mean is that yes, the IE800 has a grand soundstage, clarity and instrument separation. But that's also because the tones don't take up a lot of space in your headspace (which automatically allows for better separation). Your headspace is never really filled, like certain types of music can do (especiall that raw electronic sound you hear from electro music like Justice, or remember that hit Satisfaction from Benny Bennassi?). So maybe it's just a tradeoff, and the IE800 wins with it clarity/instrument separation vs fullness.

How would you personally compare the IE800 to the SE846? Strengths and weaknesses?

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #461 of 509
  Hmm interesting thanks for responding. I wouldn't say brightness.. The SM64's are a LOT darker. I actually didn't realize they were so dark until I heard the IE800. I think what I mean is that yes, the IE800 has a grand soundstage, clarity and instrument separation. But that's also because the tones don't take up a lot of space in your headspace (which automatically allows for better separation). Your headspace is never really filled, like certain types of music can do (especiall that raw electronic sound you hear from electro music like Justice, or remember that hit Satisfaction from Benny Bennassi?). So maybe it's just a tradeoff, and the IE800 wins with it clarity/instrument separation vs fullness.

How would you personally compare the IE800 to the SE846? Strengths and weaknesses?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-impressions-thread/9675

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #463 of 509
Hi all, I'm in need of some expert advice, if anyone could possibly chime in here. I ordered the IE800 for a good price off of Amazon (direct, not a 3rd party seller). Unfortunately, the first pair I had arrived without the earbud fit kit, so I asked for an exchange. The exchange pair arrived, but to my surprise (just for fun) I did a side by side comparison of the two, and the both sound significantly different from each other. 

First pair sounds like the mids and highs are pretty veiled. It sounded ok to my ears, but without comparison I assumed this was simply the sound signature. The second pair, on the other hand, have significantly clearer mids and highs. I'm a little surprised there's such a pronounced difference in these. I thought it might be possible that since it was an open box item, there might have been some burn in/use factor going on, but I didn't think these earphones would be subject to that kind of change over time.

Also, it's weird, the but second pair has a bit of exposure of the jack at the point of connection between the Y cable and the extension. So, basically, if you look at it, the jack plugs in, but doesn't sit quite flush and you can see the gold of the jack. It's probably a 1/2 mm gap. (First pair doesn't have this issue and it sits completely flush; also doesn't have an audible click when you attach the cable, it just slides right in and fits snugly.)

Long story short, should I return both? They both seem to have their own issues. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #464 of 509
  Hi all, I'm in need of some expert advice, if anyone could possibly chime in here. I ordered the IE800 for a good price off of Amazon (direct, not a 3rd party seller). Unfortunately, the first pair I had arrived without the earbud fit kit, so I asked for an exchange. The exchange pair arrived, but to my surprise (just for fun) I did a side by side comparison of the two, and the both sound significantly different from each other. 

First pair sounds like the mids and highs are pretty veiled. It sounded ok to my ears, but without comparison I assumed this was simply the sound signature. The second pair, on the other hand, have significantly clearer mids and highs. I'm a little surprised there's such a pronounced difference in these. I thought it might be possible that since it was an open box item, there might have been some burn in/use factor going on, but I didn't think these earphones would be subject to that kind of change over time.

Also, it's weird, the but second pair has a bit of exposure of the jack at the point of connection between the Y cable and the extension. So, basically, if you look at it, the jack plugs in, but doesn't sit quite flush and you can see the gold of the jack. It's probably a 1/2 mm gap. (First pair doesn't have this issue and it sits completely flush; also doesn't have an audible click when you attach the cable, it just slides right in and fits snugly.)

Long story short, should I return both? They both seem to have their own issues. 

The IE800 shouldn't sound veiled at all. They're slightly v-shaped, so the mids sound a bit distant. But both mids and highs are actually crystal clear.

My jack sits flush at the connection. But I have an early pair and reportedly the upper cables on newer pairs are different now. Maybe they changed something about the connection too.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #465 of 509

The IE800 shouldn't sound veiled at all. They're slightly v-shaped, so the mids sound a bit distant. But both mids and highs are actually crystal clear.

My jack sits flush at the connection. But I have an early pair and reportedly the upper cables on newer pairs are different now. Maybe they changed something about the connection too.

Thanks! There might be something up with the first pair. That would be my guess.

Interestingly, the unboxing video posted on just the previous thread page has exactly the same "snap" sound and minimally tiny gap at the Y connection jack that the 2nd pair has. So I guess it's normal.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642528/review-sennheiser-ie800-impressions-frustration-and-a-bunch-of-what-ifs/435#post_11002153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back