Review: Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee
Jan 25, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the compliment Blackmore! I unfortunately got into a bid war last year over this pair but typically, I've seen good condition pairs range between $180-250.

Then it was you who got them. I did also bid for them but they got just too expensive for me. I was just looking for a pair that could serve as a "part donator" for my beloved Jubilee.

I later got a second one from a fellow head-fier for a very good price but without certificate and stuff. So perfect for my needs.

I do indeed agree with much of your reciew which is -btw- very nicely written. The "hollowness" and "veil" are caused (imho) by a slightly recessed presence range. This can be found on every 580/6X0 and for me as a main DT880 user it's really disturbing (the DT880 has a small emphasis in the presence range). Also I thinks the highs of the Jubilees are a bit "artificial". I alway found the hoghs on the Senns as kind of not belonging to the music but floating a bit over it. Strange and hard to express. I for mayself think that the DT880 has much better (and smoother) transition from low end to top end without any breaks in it.

I also had the chance of A/B listening to different HD600s with my Jubilee(s). And the difference is hardly audible and only when A/Bing. They are very very close.
But in fact not even the Jubilees sound the same so I guess the differences betwen HD600 and the Jubilee is simply caused by the matched drivers. I am sure you will find a HD600 that you can't tell apart from a Jubilee.
wink.gif

Please don't see that as an advertising for the Beyer...it's for explanation reasons to follow my expressions because I simply know the DT880s so well.

@skyline889:
Does the foil come off from the front and the back side of your headband? I mean: are there any fine fissures in the foil caused by the tension of bending the headband?
I got myself a new headband from Sennheiser (one of the last) but I only put it on once and directly after these small fissures appeared.
Really annoys me.
mad.gif

And do you have other grills? They look dark on your pics. Mine just look more "greyish"!?

To all:
Maybe you enjoy some more pics?

Click to enlarge!

pattern1.jpg

w/o flash

pattern2.jpg

w/ flash

Click to enlarge!

Oh and: I have taken the foams out, too. But I put the foam between the outer grills and the backside of the drivers. This tightens the bass and locks just awsome!

w/o foams w/ and w/o flash:
ohne_ob.jpg

ohne_mb.jpg

w/ foam
mit.jpg

I think it's closer to "what it's supposed to look":
packung.jpg

m00h

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then it was you who got them. I did also bid for them but they got just too expensive for me. I was just looking for a pair that could serve as a "part donator" for my beloved Jubilee.

Yeah sorry, it was me bidding through my sister's account.

Quote:

I also had the chance of A/B listening to different HD600s with my Jubilee(s). And the difference is hardly audible and only when A/Bing. They are very very close.
But in fact not even the Jubilees sound the same so I guess the differences betwen HD600 and the Jubilee is simply caused by the matched drivers. I am sure you will find a HD600 that you can't tell apart from a Jubilee.
wink.gif

Hmm, I had a chance to compare the Jubilees to the HD600s and HD650s and did not find the differences to be that minimal at all. I believe Purk has also had the chance to A/B his with the other Senns and preferred the Jubilees every time. This is my second pair so far and my impressions from these are what I remember from my first pair, so I'm not sure that all the Jubilees don't sound the same. IDK perhaps, earlier production models sounded a little different? (Both my first pair and the pair I have now were higher numbers whereas yours is in the 1000s) Other than that I can't really explain why we would have such varying experiences.

Quote:

@skyline889:
Does the foil come off from the front and the back side of your headband? I mean: are there any fine fissures in the foil caused by the tension of bending the headband?
I got myself a new headband from Sennheiser (one of the last) but I only put it on once and directly after these small fissures appeared.
Really annoys me.
mad.gif

And do you have other grills? They look dark on your pics. Mine just look more "greyish"!?

Yeah unfortunately even though they were advertised as mint, the headband still had those fissures in it. I've actually been wanting to buy a new one but at $110, it's a little pricey. Where did you find yours? I was thinking about ordering mine from either Dolphin or Strachans but I'm not sure if they still have them in stock.

The grills look darker in the latter pictures because I swapped HD600 grills in place along with an HD650 cable for an all black look. In the first picture, you can see the original silver grills that it came with the Jubilees when I bought them.

Quote:

To all:
Maybe you enjoy some more pics?

hd580jubilees2.jpg

pattern1.jpg

w/o flash

pattern2.jpg

w/ flash

hd580jubilee_w1000.jpg

Oh and: I have taken the foams out, too. But I put the foam between the out grills and the backside of the drivers. This tightens the bass and locks just awsome!

w/o foams w/ and w/o flash:
ohne_ob.jpg

ohne_mb.jpg

w/ foam
mit.jpg

I think it's closer to "what it's supposed to look":
packung.jpg

m00h

If you could resize these mooh, I'd really appreciate it. I resized my originals from 3008x2000 down to 640, so that people wouldn't have to scroll left and right while reading and so that people with slower connections wouldn't have to wait a long time for the pictures to load. Thanks, David.

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice read!

Your veil issues will be put to rest with better amplification. This is true of the all the Senn 580/600/650's.

- augustwest

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David, Still enjoying those photos of the HD580J....you know, it's probably the sexiest of the 580/600/650 series! I know with limited funds and the idea of dropping headphones for speakers, it's hard to commit to specific things
icon10.gif
IMO, the DAC1 is such a good source that it can synergize with inexpensive amps, and should be a great source for speakers....though you may just like its internal hp amp for your hp setup: it adds great extension, soundstage, and detail to Senns. Well worth waiting for the funds/oportunity to grab one, IMO
icon10.gif
FWIW
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
-Dave

I know I said I'm not quite swayed that I should upgrade my rig, but I really am looking forward to the day when I decide on a new amplifier. The Jubilees are doing pretty well now but if I can find an amp that can get rid of the slight mid range recession, I think I might be satisfied with headphones for a while. Sigh, then it's back on to speakers...
frown.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

I believe Purk has also had the chance to A/B his with the other Senns and preferred the Jubilees every time. This is my second pair so far and my impressions from these are what I remember from my first pair, so I'm not sure that all the Jubilees don't sound the same. IDK perhaps, earlier production models sounded a little different? (Both my first pair and the pair I have now were higher numbers whereas yours is in the 1000s) Other than that I can't really explain why we would have such varying experiences.

I do prefer the Jubilee over the HD-580, and HD-600 but not the HD-650. However, in a more modest setup I suspect the Jubilee might sound the most balanced among the four headphones. It has been my experienced that the HD-650 is capable of sounding better in every upgrade.

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do prefer the Jubilee over the HD-580, and HD-600 but not the HD-650. However, in a more modest setup I suspect the Jubilee might sound the most balanced among the four headphones. It has been my experienced that the HD-650 is capable of sounding better in every upgrade.

Since I've been keeping with the Sennheiser lineup while working on my system (except for the hard to find 580J
icon10.gif
), I agree with Purk. The HD595s were my general cans for every genre until I found a good transport for my DAC-1 and the Single Power SLAM. There's enough power and accuracy there to really drive the HD650 to some awesome resolution. They now have the speed and detail for every genre for me. On other systems, and for portables though, I prefer the HD595 the most....and the HD580 is still good for some accoustic genres. The 650 is more finicky, because it doesn't have any upper mid coloration.....so you need a really good source IMHO.

But this is probably what you don't want to hear Skyline
icon10.gif
I know you want to be done with headphones. So the 580J will be easier to de-veil for ya.

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Hmm, I had a chance to compare the Jubilees to the HD600s and HD650s and did not find the differences to be that minimal at all. I believe Purk has also had the chance to A/B his with the other Senns and preferred the Jubilees every time. This is my second pair so far and my impressions from these are what I remember from my first pair, so I'm not sure that all the Jubilees don't sound the same. IDK perhaps, earlier production models sounded a little different? (Both my first pair and the pair I have now were higher numbers whereas yours is in the 1000s) Other than that I can't really explain why we would have such varying experiences.

The HD650 is a different animal, sure.
And I don't know if the differences in my Jubilees come from different s/n (I don't know the number of the second one I bought) or just from beeing one more used then the other.

I will have the chance to compare a HD600 to these in the near future. Maybe you (or anyone else) can tell me what I have to look for?

Quote:

Yeah unfortunately even though they were advertised as mint, the headband still had those fissures in it. I've actually been wanting to buy a new one but at $110, it's a little pricey. Where did you find yours? I was thinking about ordering mine from either Dolphin or Strachans but I'm not sure if they still have them in stock..

Both Strachan and Dolphin weren't able to sell me a new headband.
I got mine directly from Sennheiser Gemany.

Quote:

The grills look darker in the latter pictures because I swapped HD600 grills in place along with an HD650 cable for an all black look. In the first picture, you can see the original silver grills that it came with the Jubilees when I bought them.

In this case I definitely have to get some of these. Looks sharp!
580smile.gif

Quote:

If you could resize these mooh, I'd really appreciate it. I resized my originals from 3008x2000 down to 640, so that people wouldn't have to scroll left and right while reading and so that people with slower connections wouldn't have to wait a long time for the pictures to load. Thanks, David.

I thumbnailes them. I do have ISDN only myself so these pics will definitley not load long. As a member of team "slow connection" I respect any other member. And last but not least I had to upload them and didn't want to wait a week.
wink.gif

But I agree with the size-issue.

m00h

Jan 27, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #37 of 43
I'm eager to hear your impressions m00h! The Jubilees truly are special headphones and I'm sure that once you take a good listen, you'll fall back in love with them.

P.S.-Thanks again for resizing the pics.

Jan 27, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Oh and: I have taken the foams out, too. But I put the foam between the outer grills and the backside of the drivers. This tightens the bass and locks just awsome!

Will the treble or soundstage suffer from putting the foam between the the grills and the drivers?

When I cup the grills with my hands, the sound becomes more foreward and I don't really like it.

mfg,
rogues08

Jan 27, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogues08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the treble or soundstage suffer from putting the foam between the the grills and the drivers?

When I cup the grills with my hands, the sound becomes more foreward and I don't really like it.

I don't think it will influence the treble, but of course the soudstage suffers. I don't know how much...I don't use the Jubilees that often and only use them with this mod.

Why not try it out? It's fast and free, try it out.

m00h

Jan 27, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

I don't think it will influence the treble, but of course the soudstage suffers. I don't know how much...I don't use the Jubilees that often and only use them with this mod.

Why not try it out? It's fast and free, try it out.

m00h

Yeah...I will ^^ Thanks for the advice.

rogues08

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #41 of 43
Hey guys, just a quick report in. I got to try out the Jubilees with some wood today and it turns out that I found a way to get rid of the hollow mids but in turn the closed back cups ruined the soudstaging for me and created a sense of "in your headedness" that just drove me crazy. The highs also got quite a bit more sibilant than before. Bass seemed to have more snap and life to it though, I can see why some people say that the closed woodies give you a "club" feel. It kind of sounded like a club EQ preset, pretty interesting considering all that happened was the cups were sealed off. Maybe your experiences will vary but this is what happened with my set-up.

Jun 22, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #42 of 43
16 years later and I still enjoy my Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee (#34). The headphone has matched drivers. I just bought a new and better Openheart balanced 4.4mm cable so no loose contacts and sound loss anymore and new fluffy earpads. I also have placed a headband pad (from AliExpress) because the original headband began to loose chips of the carbon fiber coating.

full

Jun 24, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #43 of 43
An interesting review by skyline889. There is so little written about these rarities. I've never really noticed a recession or hollowness in the midrange. It's just the exquisite midrange that the HD580/600/650 and I suppose 660S(S2) also have, probably Sennheiser's best feature. As for a comparison with the HD600 I always found the HD600 to have a much more smooth and elegant sound signature (especially the HD650) that goes away a little from the analytical nature of the HD580 Jubilee. On casual acquaintance you might think they are the same, but the HD600 alters slightly the tonality of the recording. The Jubilee to me doesn't actually have a sound signature and is therefore plain and very accurate to the source. If the HD600 emphasises the upper harmonics and the HD650 dampens them then the HD580 Jubilee does neither. It's so natural in its attack decay and sustain, it doesn't have the warmth of the flat plate HD580 either. One might find every sound signature in the headphone world but this one, but every high end headphone has to have some of what it is.

My review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-hd-580.12036/reviews

Attachments

• 04E5458F-9EC8-4BCE-80ED-5C7299766C85.jpeg
    04E5458F-9EC8-4BCE-80ED-5C7299766C85.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back