Review: Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee
Jan 24, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 43
Very nice writing, thanks
wink.gif

Just wonder, how much are they go for these days? Because to find one isnt that easy.

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #17 of 43
Great photos! Man, the 580J looks so much better then the HD600!! What was Sennheiser thinking with the blue marbled 600 (looks like something from the early 80s). Hope you're able to get that DAC-1, skyline. The mids and treble will really open up for you then
icon10.gif
Have heard that the Headfive has better synergy with headphones that are colored more in the upper mids (ie AKG). Would be interesting to see your impressions of the 580Js then.

Jan 25, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by budgetphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi skyline889,

Thanks, one last question before committing, how well does it fit the 580's headband? I couldn't tell from the picture you posted if the ends of the leather band protrude over the edge of the Senn headband or not.

One last last question that sprang to mind, is the leather band a tight fit, or does it "play" rotation wise?

The Beyer headband is a little bit of a tight fit going on, so it doesn't move once you've snapped the buttons in place. The headband pad also hags a few mms over the edge of the Senn band but it doesn't interfere with the headband adjustment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice writing, thanks
wink.gif

Just wonder, how much are they go for these days? Because to find one isnt that easy.

Thanks for the compliment Blackmore! I unfortunately got into a bid war last year over this pair but typically, I've seen good condition pairs range between $180-250. So basically the same price as an HD600-HD650, a bargain imo. Of course tracking them down is a little difficult but if you're patient, you can find one. I saw two pop up here on Head-Fi last year and then two pop up on eBay (One of which I bought), so it is possible to find them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great photos! Man, the 580J looks so much better then the HD600!! What was Sennheiser thinking with the blue marbled 600 (looks like something from the early 80s). Hope you're able to get that DAC-1, skyline. The mids and treble will really open up for you then
icon10.gif
Have heard that the Headfive has better synergy with headphones that are colored more in the upper mids (ie AKG). Would be interesting to see your impressions of the 580Js then.

Howzit Dave? I've still been agonizing over which one to buy, DAC1 or Monarchy 33.24. I know my source and amplifier are holding the Jubilees back and driving them balanced would be awesome, but $800 is a lot of money for someone with only a pt job.
frown.gif
I'm hoping either the 33 will be sold or a DAC1 will pop up for cheap so my decision can be made easier.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #19 of 43
Good Review!

I actually pmed you asking about them so I can't help thinking I am one of the many who pushed you to write this review
biggrin.gif

I am going to PM you again for a spelling error

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #20 of 43
I enjoyed reading it as well! I can't help but think it gives me some more of an idea of what to expect later on this month when I receive my new..uh...other very similar Senns.

Thanx! Well written review!!
600smile.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #21 of 43
Great review, I really enjoyed reading it!

If I'm understanding this correctly, the Jubilee is basically just a 580 with 600/650 grilles, the 650 cable, and a carbon-fiber frame?

I think I'm feeling better about my 580's already
580smile.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #23 of 43
Great review, was a great read. I wonder how they compare to my 580s modded with carda cables and 600 grills.

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #24 of 43
Skyline,
Nice write up. I'm glad you give us a review on the Jubilee. IMO, the Jubilee is definitely a really nice headphone and I will pick it over the HD-600 every single time. The Jubilee has better bass extension and less boommy bass response and more airy sound than the HD-600. BTW, don't forget to get the Equinox cable to go along with your Jubilee.

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

I have heard that 580 Jubilee is actually using the drivers of HD600.....if that's true, how can they sound so different
confused.gif

I have explained the differences between the two in the beginning of the review. According to a rep at Sennheiser (If you can find one that actually remembers what the Jubilees were), the drivers were tuned a little differently, and were slightly better matched than its successor the HD600.

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

I have explained the differences between the two in the beginning of the review. According to a rep at Sennheiser (If you can find one that actually remembers what the Jubilees were), the drivers were tuned a little differently, and were slightly better matched than its successor the HD600.

Nice...at first I thought it was the whole carbon fibre things.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howzit Dave? I've still been agonizing over which one to buy, DAC1 or Monarchy 33.24. I know my source and amplifier are holding the Jubilees back and driving them balanced would be awesome, but $800 is a lot of money for someone with only a pt job.
frown.gif
I'm hoping either the 33 will be sold or a DAC1 will pop up for cheap so my decision can be made easier.
biggrin.gif

David, Still enjoying those photos of the HD580J....you know, it's probably the sexiest of the 580/600/650 series! I know with limited funds and the idea of dropping headphones for speakers, it's hard to commit to specific things
icon10.gif
IMO, the DAC1 is such a good source that it can synergize with inexpensive amps, and should be a great source for speakers....though you may just like its internal hp amp for your hp setup: it adds great extension, soundstage, and detail to Senns. Well worth waiting for the funds/oportunity to grab one, IMO
icon10.gif
FWIW
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back