Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
Aug 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #92 of 911
Cheaper? or more expensive? 
blink.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #93 of 911
If Resonessence were going to be at RMAF, that would be a reason to burn some frequent flyer miles and hotel rewards points.

I've been extremely happy with my Ayre QB-9/Luxman P-200 setup for the last two years, and have a Bryston BHA-1 coming in for evaluation, but in a desktop environment one box is inherently better than two if the price and SQ are close.  And if the Invicta were to blow my current system out of the water, well ...

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #94 of 911
Quote:
If Resonessence were going to be at RMAF, that would be a reason to burn some frequent flyer miles and hotel rewards points.

I've been extremely happy with my Ayre QB-9/Luxman P-200 setup for the last two years, and have a Bryston BHA-1 coming in for evaluation, but in a desktop environment one box is inherently better than two if the price and SQ are close.  And if the Invicta were to blow my current system out of the water, well ...

They will be there: LINK.

I've got an email in to CEO Mark Mallinson asking if their new product will be announced by then or not. Perhaps you can check it out as well. 

EDIT: That looks like a good floor to visit - Resonessence, Salk, MBL, and Lawrence Audio, amonng others. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #96 of 911
Quote:
UPDATE: Confirmed with Mark Mallinson that Resonessence will be announcing their new product at RMAF next month. Wish I could share info with you guys because I think a lot of people will be excited about it.

Yer killin' us ...
L3000.gif

BTW, I exchanged emails with Mark the other day, and he said that the software update that will support FLAC on SD cards is expected to drop in the next two weeks.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #97 of 911
Quote:
Yer killin' us ...
L3000.gif

BTW, I exchanged emails with Mark the other day, and he said that the software update that will support FLAC on SD cards is expected to drop in the next two weeks.

That's good news. A very much anticipated feature, to be sure. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #99 of 911
Quote:
He has three new products coming out last I spoke to him.  

Didn't know they were under wraps though, guess I'll keep my mouth shut...

That's one more than I know about then. So far they had their Projecta amplifier displayed at RMAF last year, and then there's the new "lower-priced" item that I keep hinting about. The third item is a mystery to me, but probably not for long. I figured they would have some new stuff in store, and it sounds like they have been busy.  

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #100 of 911
I've been checking out the new digital filters on the Invicta the past few weeks.   One of the filters - "linear phase apodizing" - is extremely good -- it's my favorite over all the other ones by a long shot.   This filter does improve SQ in my opinion, the major benefit being a much more realistic soundstage, which is especially apparent with headphone listening.   All in all, the addition of these filters is a really superb enhancement to an already great DAC. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #101 of 911

Hi Guys

Were beta testing the software at this time and will be offering Flac and SD card support very very soon. RMAF will be very exciting this year...Please drop by and see us.

My Invicta, Westlake HR7, Boulder Quad Amp Active System

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #103 of 911
I thought I was all set to get a Lynx hilo from all the reading i've done these past few days. that was until I read the most recent few posts on these new offerings coming up next month, esp the no frills dac. guess I'm in for a painful wait for the announcements. would hate to make a decision and then have the perfect dac get released a month later after I've put out good money!

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #104 of 911
Quote:
I thought I was all set to get a Lynx hilo from all the reading i've done these past few days. that was until I read the most recent few posts on these new offerings coming up next month, esp the no frills dac. guess I'm in for a painful wait for the announcements. would hate to make a decision and then have the perfect dac get released a month later after I've put out good money!

IMO the perfect DAC is the one that you buy for a price that you can afford (notice I didn't necessarily say "cheap"), use in your system, and enjoy the heck out of. Aside from that, there is no perfect DAC. 

There comes a time where you just have to pick one. Honestly, all this discussion about which one does each little thing slightly better than the next, can sometimes make us miss the point. My philosophy? Most people would probably really enjoy the Invicta, as well as a good number of other DACs too. You pick the one that you can afford, that has the features you want, and has looks that you either like or at least that you can tolerate. Then your buy it and enjoy it. At this price level you kind of demand an in-home trial like Resonessence gives, so you can be sure you like it before committing to keep it.

BTW the new Resonessence unit will probably not interest you all that much if you were close to buying an Invicta or Lynx Hilo. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #105 of 911
UPDATE: Resonessence just released a new firmware which enables several new features. Most exciting is the feature that people have been waiting for - FLAC playback from SD cards, along with SDXC card support (which translates to very large sizes). It also supposedly improves sound quality via USB connection.

I was not aware of the prior update which enabled 5 more digital filter options, and allows the user to disable the XLR and RCA outputs (for headphone use) or disable the headphone jack (for pure DAC use). Cool stuff. 

Clearly the Resonessence team is hard at work and strongly supporting their product. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back