Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
May 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #767 of 911
  Thanks for the reply!

How do you find the song navigation of Invicta or Mirus? Can I choose or search songs as easy as those portable players like AK240 or Sony ZX2? :)

It's easy enough, just goes by folder so organization is key. Having a 256GB card may get a little cumbersome though. If I was doing that, I'd break it down into genres and mayeb even sub-genres from there, then artist, then album. At the moment I just use a few 64GB cards and each one has a different genre on it. Works well for me. I wouldn't say it's on par with a modern Android setup - no searching by artist or song, for example, just folder browsing. 

Also do you guys prefer SD card input or USB input from PC? :)

I like having both. The SD cards are great for my frequently used reference material. EspeciallyDXD and DSD128 which not every computer playback program or music server is happy to handle. But for my entire 4TB collection, SD cards wouldn't cut it. 

May 16, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #769 of 911
Some more questions. Has anyone here tried Pathos Aurium headphone amp? Do you think its sound pairs well with the Invicta Mirus? Or should i just choose the DAC/amp combo for my TH900? :)

Im asking because my budget is up to that amp :p

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #771 of 911
no recent news about a new INVICTA with a better option to navigate in the library stored on the SD Card ?

With 512 Gb card available, the little OLED screen becomes not very convenient ! A nice powerful iPAD app will be welcomed (but this will need a Wifi or Bluetooth hardware upgrade) and turn the INVICTA into a "UBER (big) DAP" :)

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #773 of 911
  no recent news about a new INVICTA with a better option to navigate in the library stored on the SD Card ?

With 512 Gb card available, the little OLED screen becomes not very convenient ! A nice powerful iPAD app will be welcomed (but this will need a Wifi or Bluetooth hardware upgrade) and turn the INVICTA into a "UBER (big) DAP" :)

They showed two new products at RMAF recently. One was the new Veritas DAC, which slots between the Invicta and Concero lines - just the thing people have been asking for. The other product, not quite as far along in development at this point, is the streaming product. Very little info available but hopefully I'll have something to share soon enough. 

Here's some coverage of both, for your reading pleasure. 

I have the PS Audio Direct stream and the Mirus and the Mirus in my opinion is better ymmv.

Same here. Well, I don't have the Direct Stream any longer, but I did have one here for quite some time. Nice DAC for sure. But I still like Mirus better. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #774 of 911
Hi John,

Was wondering if you had compared the Mirus to the DA8 MkII, which as I recall you spoke of as being in the same league as the Anedio D2. How does the Mirus compare to Yulong's flagship DAC?

On another note, I just got my Violectric V281 and it's thrown a spanner in the works wrt the DA8 and the D2 - I thought the D2 was the winner for me, but now it just might be that I preferred the D2's headphone section...

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #775 of 911
  Hi John,

Was wondering if you had compared the Mirus to the DA8 MkII, which as I recall you spoke of as being in the same league as the Anedio D2. How does the Mirus compare to Yulong's flagship DAC?

On another note, I just got my Violectric V281 and it's thrown a spanner in the works wrt the DA8 and the D2 - I thought the D2 was the winner for me, but now it just might be that I preferred the D2's headphone section...

Mirus is a step above anything from Yulong or Anedio.... as much as I love those devices, the Mirus is my complete end-game solution. I like it better than heavy-hitters I've tried like the PS Audio Directstream, Acoustic Arts Tube DAC II, Calyx Femto, and stuff from Esoteric and EMM Labs and Meitner and.... you get the idea. It just ticks all the boxes for me. I can't even describe it as "warm" or "neutral" or whatever.... it's just organic and "real" sounding. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #776 of 911
 I like it better than heavy-hitters I've tried like the PS Audio Directstream

Oh I've been waiting to hear your thoughts wrt Directstream vs Mirus. Did you post that somewhere and I missed it? Otherwise, could you tell us a bit more about it?

And what a difference an amp makes! I've had about an hour with the D2 and DA8 hooked up to the V281, and now I'm distinctly preferring the DA8 - its soundstage has really opened up with the V281 and I can really tell the difference between the huge hall on Gergiev's Mahler 2 vs. the more intimate studio of Yo-yo Ma's Attaboy. The D2, no slouch in other areas, is beginning to sound bland when it comes to reproducing the space of the recording.  

The DA8 also used to fatigue me, but now surprisingly its the D2 that fatigues me with its flat sound....I'm genuinely surprised!

Seems like I have to do a lot more listening over the next few weeks...

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #777 of 911
I have heard the TH900 driving from Invicta and the Antelope Zodiac Platinum recently, personally i prefer the Zodiac Platinum more than the Invicta out from their headphone section. They both has a very good built in headphone section anyway.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #779 of 911

They showed two new products at RMAF recently. One was the new Veritas DAC, which slots between the Invicta and Concero lines - just the thing people have been asking for. The other product, not quite as far along in development at this point, is the streaming product. Very little info available but hopefully I'll have something to share soon enough. 

Here's some coverage of both, for your reading pleasure. 

No news about their new "streaming product" ? 

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #780 of 911
  Oh I've been waiting to hear your thoughts wrt Directstream vs Mirus. Did you post that somewhere and I missed it? Otherwise, could you tell us a bit more about it?

And what a difference an amp makes! I've had about an hour with the D2 and DA8 hooked up to the V281, and now I'm distinctly preferring the DA8 - its soundstage has really opened up with the V281 and I can really tell the difference between the huge hall on Gergiev's Mahler 2 vs. the more intimate studio of Yo-yo Ma's Attaboy. The D2, no slouch in other areas, is beginning to sound bland when it comes to reproducing the space of the recording.  

The DA8 also used to fatigue me, but now surprisingly its the D2 that fatigues me with its flat sound....I'm genuinely surprised!

Seems like I have to do a lot more listening over the next few weeks...

No I don't believe I've ever done a formal write up on that comparison. Directstream is a nice DAC for sure, maybe a bit overpriced but I like it better than some of their prior "Perfect" series DACs. To my ears it still sounds a bit artificial or digital in some ways, mostly in the upper mids. Kinda like the Chord Hugo - it's brilliant most of the time but annoying once in a while. Mirus seems more balanced to me: not missing any info, but not forcing detail into your face either. Sorry if that's not helpful enough....

I have heard the TH900 driving from Invicta and the Antelope Zodiac Platinum recently, personally i prefer the Zodiac Platinum more than the Invicta out from their headphone section. They both has a very good built in headphone section anyway.

Interesting, I've disliked every Zodiac headphone output I've heard (which includes most but not all of them). Very artificial sounding to my ears. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back