Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
Sep 28, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #796 of 911

My experience with the upgraded Mirus Pro is very positive indeed. Not sure if it is the chip in general or the digital filters (which I believe are either tweaked or totally new). Or maybe a combo of both? Whatever the case, the Mirus Pro is spectacular..... more to come soon.

Looking forward to your impressions, especially on the different (New) filters.

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #797 of 911

My experience with the upgraded Mirus Pro is very positive indeed. Not sure if it is the chip in general or the digital filters (which I believe are either tweaked or totally new). Or maybe a combo of both? Whatever the case, the Mirus Pro is spectacular..... more to come soon.

Is the INVICTA Pro also upgraded with the new chip (ESS9028PRO) ?   I find the Headphone output very convenient !

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #799 of 911
Oct 1, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #800 of 911

I also have a Mirus Pro (new, not upgraded) and agree 110% -- it is indeed spectacular.   I still have my 1st generation Invicta, which currently I still use in another set up, and the improvement is substantial.   I never had the original 2nd gen Mirus, so I can't comment on how much better the Pro is, but it would be hard to imagine that there isn't an improvement as well.   I did notice that there appears to be a new set of digital filters in the Mirus Pro.   It follows that software updates for any of the Pro devices will likewise be different than those now posted for the older generation models, i.e. do not use the ones posted currently on the website.   I imagine at some point, there will be Pro updates posted.   

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #801 of 911
Just received my upgraded Mirus to Pro, oh man! Spectacular! This is a whole new dac, a very, very good dac. The fullness is amazing, the detail, it all sounds right, not weird in any way, I would say even holographic.
It even had the Mirus Pro logo on the front added.
I was told to break it in for a couple of days, did you guys hear any difference?
To me it sounds great right out of the box.
Waiting on Project86 review.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #802 of 911
  Just received my upgraded Mirus to Pro, oh man! Spectacular! This is a whole new dac, a very, very good dac. The fullness is amazing, the detail, it all sounds right, not weird in any way, I would say even holographic.
It even had the Mirus Pro logo on the front added.
I was told to break it in for a couple of days, did you guys hear any difference?
To me it sounds great right out of the box.
Waiting on Project86 review.

The difference compared to my older Invicta was very obvious right out of the box.  I'm not sure how much the break in period improved things -- probably a little, but it was so damn good from the get-go, that it would have been hard for me to tell.   I think I must have one of the earlier Pro units, since the faceplate didn't say "Pro" on it (I suspect there were still a fair number of the regular Mirus faceplates still around), but of course that hardly matters in the long run.   I do think the Pro has significantly upgraded the filters, and I'm now beginning to experience sound quality from ripped 44/16 files (using anodizing filter) that rivals or often exceeds many of the hi-rez downloads I have.   Makes me want to think twice about spending the extra money on hi-rez.   

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #803 of 911
I wonder how much the Mirus Pro is compared to the Invicta Pro.  

Indeed, the added headphone output of the Invicta is a useful feature but I am not prepared to pay a substancial SQ trade off for this.

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #804 of 911

The difference compared to my older Invicta was very obvious right out of the box.  I'm not sure how much the break in period improved things -- probably a little, but it was so damn good from the get-go, that it would have been hard for me to tell.   I think I must have one of the earlier Pro units, since the faceplate didn't say "Pro" on it (I suspect there were still a fair number of the regular Mirus faceplates still around), but of course that hardly matters in the long run.   I do think the Pro has significantly upgraded the filters, and I'm now beginning to experience sound quality from ripped 44/16 files (using anodizing filter) that rivals or often exceeds many of the hi-rez downloads I have.   Makes me want to think twice about spending the extra money on hi-rez.   

I'm still messing around with the filters, but that's a really neat feature and I do hear differences with different filters.
I am using a micro rendu and jriver media center 22. I also used my mac mini with Pure Music connected to a Legato usb-spdif converter, both were excellent.

I wonder how much the Mirus Pro is compared to the Invicta Pro.  

Indeed, the added headphone output of the Invicta is a useful feature but I am not prepared to pay a substancial SQ trade off for this.

Not sure, project86 would know more then me on this question, I do know that the Mirus Pro dac has eight DACs in parallel to each stereo channel, not sure of the headphone  Invicta Pro.

Darko interview with the owner of Resonessence Labs owner talking about Veritas dac.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/10/resonessence-labs-talk-more-veritas-at-rmaf-2016/

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #805 of 911
Invicta and Mirus are essentially the same thing but Invicta has the headphone section, while Mirus dedicates all its horsepower to the line out. Both have dual ES9018 chips (or ES9028 chips on the Pro versions). And each of those is an 8-channel chip. In other words, it has 8 "DACs" per physical chip, much like a modern Intel CPU can have 2 or 4 cores on a single chip. The result is Mirus having 8 DACs per channel, while the Invicta uses 4 per channel on the line out plus 4 per channel for the headphone output. 

How much does this matter? Having heard both, I think it's relatively small in terms of overall difference, but worthwhile in some cases. I look at it this way - if you intend to focus on speaker listening, and only use headphones with the Invicta amp, stick with that and be happy. You just happen to have a reference caliber headphone amp on your hands.... most integrated DAC/headphone amp solutions don't come anywhere near that level (including some very expensive ones).

If you know you'll be running a top level (external) headphone amp anyway, then I see no reason not to use the Mirus variant. You might as well focus all the Resonessence power you have into one spot. At that point you have a DAC that competes with the best out there at any price (yes I've heard and owned many of those). 

Unfortunately my Mirus Pro picked up some minor shipping damage and had to be sent back for a checkup. I had a review Veritas unit in that same shipment so they both are back at HQ right now for a tuneup. Should get them back soon, but that explains my lack of updates. What I did hear thus far was mighty impressive.... love the digital filters on the new 9028.

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #806 of 911
I will start a new thread at some point but I know there were a lot of people in this one over the past few years expressing interest in this idea.... so I'll start here for now.

When Invicta first launched, there was hope that Resonessence Labs would eventually give us a more affordable version capturing the same essence but without the built-in headphone amp or the SD card playback feature. Those are great, but not everyone needs them, and they surely add to the cost, complexity, and even the size of the device. The Concero series eventually came along but as a more budget-oriented line, it wasn't really positioned to fill this need. Resonessence later upgraded Invicta and split the line between Invicta Pro (with headphone amp) and Mirus Pro (no headphone amp), which brought the price up to $6K - not the right direction for those hoping for a lower price. 

Finally, Resonessence has a product out which hits the spot. It's called the Veritas, and it's pretty much exactly what people had been looking for all this time. While not identical in terms of looking like a sawed-off Invicta, the Veritas seems to have a lot of the same guts. Resonessence calls it a "hardware engine" rather than a mere DAC, since they do so much via custom programmed FPGA. Not to mention their custom USB solution and custom digital filters. And did I mention they use the new ES9028Pro chip? 

Veritas sells for $2,850 which is almost exactly half of the Invicta Pro and Mirus Pro models. It comes in the usual "Resonessence black" plus a limited run of silver and gold for initial batches. I have a unit in gold and it's pretty damn nice looking. Doesn't match a single thing in my rack, but that doesn't matter... it's just beautiful. Pictures simply don't do it any justice.

Further info, and probably a dedicated thread, as I get more listening time with it.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #807 of 911
Has anyone had the chance to try the Audeze LCD-4s with an Invicta?

Taking into consideration the feedback from the LCD-4's thread, in theory, even In Differential mode, using the two outputs, shouldn't be enough for a great experience...

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #808 of 911
Subscribed!

I wonder how this Veritas faired with Auralic Vega since they are closest in price.

Unfortunately i got confused on the article comparing these two at a certain website.

whill :)

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #809 of 911
  Subscribed!

I wonder how this Veritas faired with Auralic Vega since they are closest in price.

Unfortunately i got confused on the article comparing these two at a certain website.

whill :)

I got several new DACs in over the past 6 months. The Brooklyn, a Wadia di322, and the Veritas. The little Veritas is my favorite of the bunch, followed by the Wadia and finally the Mytek in a distant third place. The Vega is roughly the same as the Wadia - very enjoyable, and I'd happily use them in my reference system, but I'd prefer the Veritas if possible. 

Will have more specifics as my full review comes out. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #810 of 911

I got several new DACs in over the past 6 months. The Brooklyn, a Wadia di322, and the Veritas. The little Veritas is my favorite of the bunch, followed by the Wadia and finally the Mytek in a distant third place. The Vega is roughly the same as the Wadia - very enjoyable, and I'd happily use them in my reference system, but I'd prefer the Veritas if possible. 

Will have more specifics as my full review comes out. 

Thank you so much for this project86!

Will wait for your review.

Whill :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back