Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
Feb 14, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #646 of 911
Hi guys.

I am still having an issue with the channels swap thingy during playback when using SD card. Ever since from FW 5.2.1 to now the beta FW version, 6.0.4, each iteration did not resolve the issue (at all). And it is only with the SD card input. The rest of the inputs are fine.  

------> Maya Tlab; it seems you have the same issue too but has since been resolved after updating to the latest FW. However, it does not do it for me. Every time l play a track from any of my SD cards, the channels will revert back to Inverted either on one of the channels or both. I am really lost (and frustrated) and came to realize that I may indeed, have a "defective" unit to start off with.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #647 of 911

------> Maya Tlab; it seems you have the same issue too but has since been resolved after updating to the latest FW. However, it does not do it for me. Every time l play a track from any of my SD cards, the channels will revert back to Inverted either on one of the channels or both. I am really lost (and frustrated) and came to realize that I may indeed, have a "defective" unit to start off with.

It's been mostly resolved indeed, but once (and only once) since the upgraded firmware, it inverted channels, but I can't remember the conditions when it happened. I don't think you have a defective unit, only that the fix only concerned a number of units amongst which yours wasn't.

I've also noticed that the Toslink frequency rate indicator is dimmer than the others, for some reason (just like the USB FR rate indicator used to be dimmer than the SD card FR rate indicator on my unit before a firmware update).

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #648 of 911
Hello,

I was interested in purchasing a DAC from the Resonessence website but noticed that all the prices are in USD (I live in Canada).  I thought it strange because the company is based in Canada and I'm almost certain that all the prices were originally in CAD, but the numbers didn't change. 

Can anyone confirm if the prices were originally listed in CAD?

Thanks.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #649 of 911
  Hello,

I was interested in purchasing a DAC from the Resonessence website but noticed that all the prices are in USD (I live in Canada).  I thought it strange because the company is based in Canada and I'm almost certain that all the prices were originally in CAD, but the numbers didn't change. 

Can anyone confirm if the prices were originally listed in CAD?

Thanks.

Pretty sure it's CA.  When you go through paypal the final step is convert USD to CA and being in the US I got hit with a currency conversion fee.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #650 of 911

Pretty sure it's CA.  When you go through paypal the final step is convert USD to CA and being in the US I got hit with a currency conversion fee.

I just tried it with the Mirus now and the total came to $6,474.71 CAD.  If the original price is $4995 CAD then the total should be $5744.35 CAD including taxes and shipping.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #651 of 911

I just tried it with the Mirus now and the total came to $6,474.71 CAD.  If the original price is $4995 CAD then the total should be $5744.35 CAD including taxes and shipping.

Hmm dug up my paypal receipt and it looks like this:

Description Unit price Qty Amount
INVICTA MIrus $4,995.00 CAD 1 $4,995.00 CAD
Shipping (NorthAmericaAir) $100.00 CAD 1 $100.00 CAD
Subtotal $5,095.00 CAD
Total $5,095.00 CAD
Payment $5,095.00 CAD

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #652 of 911
  Hi project86,

I've read your (long term) review of the Auralic Taurus MKII in Innerfidelity.
Very detailed, and also very entertaining to read! Great work!
I've read other reviews of that equipment, but yours really made me curious about it.

Could you please share your thoughts about listening to the Invicta + Taurus MKII combo, vs Invicta only in differential mode? And more specifically with the Sennheiser HD800's?
Does it bring any relevant improvements?

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

I do use Invicta paired with Taurus.... first it was Invicta plus Taurus, and now it is Invicta Mirus with Taurus mkII. I do think Invicta in balanced mode is the best integrated headphone solution I've yet heard. It's phenomenal. That said, Taurus is even better. On casual listen I probably wouldn't notice any significant difference. But after a while, with careful listening, I notice Taurus adds more body, more heft to the sound. Not making it thick or anything, just more body to it when called upon to do so. If that makes any sense. I also get a hint of more micro-detail, and some improvement in dimensionality. HD800 with Taurus in balanced mode is more open and "real" sounding.

Again, Invicta on its own, differential mode active, is very very good. I could see using it as my only amp. And I can't really say the value per dollar makes sense when adding a dedicated amp - even one as good as the Taurus. But then again, the last bit of performance never comes cheap. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #653 of 911

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

I do use Invicta paired with Taurus.... first it was Invicta plus Taurus, and now it is Invicta Mirus with Taurus mkII. I do think Invicta in balanced mode is the best integrated headphone solution I've yet heard. It's phenomenal. That said, Taurus is even better. On casual listen I probably wouldn't notice any significant difference. But after a while, with careful listening, I notice Taurus adds more body, more heft to the sound. Not making it thick or anything, just more body to it when called upon to do so. If that makes any sense. I also get a hint of more micro-detail, and some improvement in dimensionality. HD800 with Taurus in balanced mode is more open and "real" sounding.

Again, Invicta on its own, differential mode active, is very very good. I could see using it as my only amp. And I can't really say the value per dollar makes sense when adding a dedicated amp - even one as good as the Taurus. But then again, the last bit of performance never comes cheap. 

I have been using my Invicta (1st generation) with HD800s in differential (balanced) mode for quite awhile now and completely agree that it sounds absolutely incredible.  However I have also wondered, especially after reading so many good things about the Taurus mkII, if it would be worth going this route -- if I were to do so, I would be pairing the mkII with my current Invicta - not the Mirus - since it would be rather costly for me to get both the Mirus plus the amp.  So I'm actually wondering whether the improvement that you hear with the DAC +amp is actually more due to the combination of the two than just the amp alone?    Were you able to use the Taurus mII with the (non-Mirus) Invicta -- did you hear the same improvement?    Also what xlr interconnects do you use between the Mirus and Taurus -- I've found that this can also subtly affect the sound.   I always had the impression that one of the pluses of using the Invicta's own amp was that you would have the most direct route from source to amp, essentially by bypassing any potential interactions between DAC, cable and amp.   I realize that a lot of people would say this shouldn't matter but I know others who have said otherwise.   

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #654 of 911
I still have the original Invicta here at the moment, and the improvement does apply there - it's not just the Mirus. I'm using Cabledyne Reference Silver  XLR's which are really nice and still somewhat affordable (I refuse to pay 4 digits for a cable). 

It's hard to say if the improvement would be worth the money. That's sort of a personal decision.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #655 of 911

Hmm dug up my paypal receipt and it looks like this:

Description Unit price Qty Amount
INVICTA MIrus $4,995.00 CAD 1 $4,995.00 CAD
Shipping (NorthAmericaAir) $100.00 CAD 1 $100.00 CAD
Subtotal $5,095.00 CAD
Total $5,095.00 CAD
Payment $5,095.00 CAD

I tweeted them and evidently the change to USD was made last week.

I think it's dishonest to change from CAD to USD without any announcement.  In addition, Canadians will have to pay a currency conversion fee via Paypal despite the company being located in Canada.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #656 of 911
  I still have the original Invicta here at the moment, and the improvement does apply there - it's not just the Mirus. I'm using Cabledyne Reference Silver  XLR's which are really nice and still somewhat affordable (I refuse to pay 4 digits for a cable). 

It's hard to say if the improvement would be worth the money. That's sort of a personal decision.

I know you have also used the Questyle CMA800 with the Invicta and HD800s.   If you had to choose between the Invicta's own headamp (balanced), Taurus MKII (balanced) and CMA800R (single-ended), which one do you think sounds best with the HD800s or is it too close to call?   Buying two CMA800Rs to use as mono blocks for balanced is presently not an option. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #658 of 911
  Updated to 6.0.4 but still does not display Chinese Characters???   Any body have the same problem?   Thanks for sharing. 

No issue displaying asian characters on mine, I've just checked. But I suppose you may have forgotten to make a little trip through the options, there is now a menu option to enable or disable asian characters, and it's off by default.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #659 of 911

No issue displaying asian characters on mine, I've just checked. But I suppose you may have forgotten to make a little trip through the options, there is now a menu option to enable or disable asian characters, and it's off by default.

Thanks MayaTiab.   Indeed there is an option and it is working now after setting it.    Really appreciate it.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #660 of 911
Lots of talk about the new PS Audio DirectStream DAC, I wonder how that DAC will compare to the Resonessence Mirus DAC? The way it is being hyped, they make it sound like this is the next coming. I guess we shall see. I hope project86 gets a chance to review, and compare, that would be great, as I trust his judgment and taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back