Review: Radius HP-TWF21 (aka W n°2)
Mar 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus

Japanese audio house Radius broke onto the portable hi-fi scene last spring with the introduction of the HP-TWF11. Nicknamed DDM (for Dual-Diaphragm Matrix), the TWF11 became the world’s first dual dynamic-driver IEM. Though extremely well-received, the original DDM placed sound quality above all else, eliciting some complaints regarding its build quality, fit, isolation, and microphonics. Priced just under $300, the new HP-TWF21, nicknamed the W n°2, is Radius’s follow-up to the original DDM and promises improvements in both comfort and sound quality. Big thanks to Dimitri at MusicaAcoustics for letting me have a nice long listen to the new earphone.

Packaging & Accessories

The packaging of the TWF11R was quite ornate but the new earphone’s box is fancier still. Made out of textured black cardboard and encased in plastic, it may well belong to a fine Cognac, at least at first glance. Outer packaging aside, the story becomes more mundane – plastic inserts and some paperwork accompany the earphones, carrying case, and tips. The carrying case is a carryover from the TWF11R – the same excellent polished leather clamshell with a heavy rubber cable winder insert. The tips, too, are standard fare – six sets of single-flange silicone tips in S/M/L sizes. A soft microfiber cleaning cloth and short L-plug adapter round out the accessory pack.

Design & Build Quality

The original Radius DDM featured vertically-mounted drivers meant to sit flush with the ear. The ergonomics of the design were greatly diminished by the cable exit point at the back of the earphone which (for me) made the shells almost impossible to tuck into the outer ear. The new design is much more ear-friendly, with a similar-size driver chamber attached to a more steeply angled nozzle. The cable is now routed from the center of the earphone straight down and doesn’t get in the way at all. It may not be as sleek from an aesthetic perspective but it certainly does the job.

Overall build quality is very similar to the old DDM – the housings are completely plastic and the cord is nylon-sheathed for durability. The thin-stem design of the TWF21 does mean that the earphones probably won’t survive being stepped on the way higher-end Audio-Technica or Ortofon models might but for general use they should last if treated well. The nylon-sheathed cable is flexible and tangle-resistant – a definite improvement over the cloth cords used by the likes of the Klipsch Custom 3 and Maximo iM-590. The cable features a sliding rubber cinch and the metal-jacketed 3.5mm I-plug has a short rubber strain relief, same as the original DDM.

Fit & Comfort

With my average-sized ears, the fit of the new Radius is much more pleasant than that of the old model. The earbud-like design reminds me of the mid-range Phiaton models and Audio-Technica’s CKS series and fits perfectly into my outer ear. I especially like the way the cable exit point is positioned away from the antitragus – makes the earphones very comfortable for prolonged listening sessions. However, as is usually the case with earbud-style IEMs, over-the-ear wear without swapping channels is nearly impossible. I do also wish a larger selection of tips was included but other than that I have absolutely no problems with the fit.

Isolation & Microphonics

Being a half-in-ear design with a rear vent, the TWF21 really doesn’t isolate much more than the original DDM did. The isolation is not as ridiculously poor as it is with the open-back JVC HA-FX700s but certainly isn’t much greater than that of the Sennheiser IE8. Cable noise, similarly, has improved only slightly with the new model, most likely because the cable anchor point is farther from the ear.

Sound Quality

Specifications:

Driver Type: Dual Dynamic
Driver Diameter: 15mm/7mm
Impedance: 24Ω
Sensitivity: 107dB/mW
Max power input: 20mW
Frequency response: 10-20,000Hz
Cable: 120cm (4 ft) y-split
Connector: 3.5mm I-plug

Testing note: all on-the-go listening was done straight out of a Cowon J3 portable player loaded with 192-320kbps mp3s. Critical listening was done using an iBasso D10 DAC/amp with stock opamps using a wider selection of lossless tracks in FLAC and WMA formats.

The promotional materials for the new Radius claim that the earphone has been “carefully tuned” to provide more modest lows and clearer highs compared to the TWF11. Both of these claims are true to a degree but there is no mistaking the TWF21 for an analytical earphone. The bass, for one, is still quite heavy-handed. Low end extension is very good, competing with the likes of the Monster Turbine Pro Gold and Future Sonics Atrio. Sub-bass rumble is likewise plentiful and there should be enough impact for all but the most unreasonable bass lovers. It is only the lack of a pronounced mid-bass hump that keeps the TWF21 from become a total bass monster. The reasonably level bass prevents the low end from becoming dominant over the rest of the signature unless called on by the recording. For an earphone with such impressive bass presence, the TWF21 is surprisingly soft-footed and polite with most of my test tracks – a far cry from the aggressive, hard-hitting bass of earphones like the Fischer Audio Eterna. It is not the sprightliest of earphones but it performed better than I expected with the Exaile album I’ve been listening to lately. At the same time, the attack and decay times are natural enough for realistic portrayal of the instruments in my classical and jazz recordings.

Because the bass of the TWF21 is so linear, midrange bleed is fairly low even next to the other top-tier bass-heavy dynamics. The midrange is warm, smooth, and slightly thick. To my ears it is neither forward nor recessed but otherwise reminds me of the HiFiMan RE262. Not a bad job by Radius as the 262 is one of the most technically capable dynamic-driver earphones I’ve ever heard. Detail and clarity are very close to those of the best dynamics. Like that of the original DDM, the midrange of the TWF21 is fluid and oddly delicate. It is not as transparent as that of the Yuin OK1 or certain BA-based earphones but doesn’t lag too far behind, either. The treble, similarly, is smooth and polite. Like the original DDM, the TWF21 is quite laid-back at the top and leans towards the darker side of things when it comes to tone. Comparatively speaking, I feel that the TWF21 has just a bit more treble presence than the TWF11 but still lacks the effortlessness and extension of the Sennheiser IE8 or RE262. Similarly, the treble crispness and energy characteristic of many armature-based earphones is nowhere to be found. The detail, for the most part, is still there but it is presented softly and unassumingly. As a result, I’ve found myself turning the volume up a little higher than usual on a number of occasions.

The presentation of the TWF21 is spacious and engrossing. Personally, I think presentation is where the new and old Radius models most differ. Since I switch earphones very often, I never quite managed to get used to the way the original DDM presented music – the oddly intimate feel despite the out-of-the-head soundstage, combined with the thickness and sweetness of the earphones, never really worked right away when switching to the DDM from any other earphone. No such problems with the TWF21 – the soundstage is still just as wide and deep as that of the old earphone but is no harder to get used to than that of my Sennheiser IE7 or Xears TD-III. Actually, the presentations of the TWF21 and TD-III share several characteristics aside from large size – both earphones are a bit happier presenting intimacy than distance and neither has the pinpoint-accurate positioning of a high-end BA-based earphone such as the ATH-CK10 or Westone 4. Similarly, both earphones fare better than average when it comes to dynamics and accurate portrayal of timbre; in the case of the TWF21 – significantly better than average. Lastly, the TWF21 does like being given a bit of extra juice. Depending on the source and/or amp used, giving the DDM some leeway in available power can make it sound more dynamic, more fluid, and even more detailed. Not a night-and-day difference, but it is noticeable.

Conclusion

Considering the overwhelmingly positive reception of the sound of the original DDM, it is no surprise that the signature of the new Radius HP-TWF21 strays little from that of its predecessor. There are minor tweaks to the bass and treble but the biggest difference for me is in the presentation – the original DDM really took a bit of getting used to but the new one consistently puts a smile on my face within the first few minutes of listening. Similarly, while the day-to-day usability of the original Radius DDM was at best a mixed bag, the new earphone is much easier to live with. The isolation and build quality have not undergone significant improvement but the new housings fit me much, much better - gone is the strange vertical-driver fit of the original DDM in favor of an earbud-style half-in-ear design. Whether the improvements are worth the extra ~$120 over the TWF11 is a personal choice but for those who, like me, were never quite happy with the fit of the original, the revision brings about a welcome leveling of sound quality and functionality - not a bad deal at all considering how well the W-series earphones perform to start with.

Edit: Musicaacoustics has since lowered the price of these to $249 including shipping. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 35
Thanks for this.  I'm interested to see where you rate this in your comparison thread. 

Edit: I think these should be called DDM-2 or something.  That nickname Radius (presumably) gave them is too weird for me.  

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 35
Thanks for the review! They actually looked pretty classy... Compared to the old radius. Was gonna buy the radius but when I demoed it the fit was horrible... So I guess this should be better, might be interested in buying this.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 35
They look good. I don't know about the extra $100+ over the original. They do need to give a bit more varied tip selection. Should be a better fit for most people and a little more treble is welcome.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 35
Great review! I've been waiting for this one...

Not too sure what to think though. I was lucky enough to have a great fit for the original DDM, so for $100 more it doesn't sound like there have been significant improvements in sound quality. I understand the law of diminishing returns but the DDM really did have amazing sound for its price range, and I wonder how at this new price range the DDM compares to other top-tier dynamics - notably the new Sony EX models, the new Future Sonics, new Audio Technica dynamics, etc etc. Even, how this model compares to Shures new SE215.

It seems that there's always something on the horizon...

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 35
Great review, thanks!
If you found the fit of the original DDM just fine, would the increase in price for the DDM-2 (let's just call it that...) still be worth it?

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 35
Great review as always joker! If isolation isn't an issue, which do you prefer between this and the JVC fx700 since it is getting around that price point

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 35

Quote:
Thanks for this.  I'm interested to see where you rate this in your comparison thread. 

Edit: I think these should be called DDM-2 or something.  That nickname Radius (presumably) gave them is too weird for me. 

As long as it catches on its fine by me. I've seen them referred to as the W21 for some reason. The problem with nicknames is that new users may have trouble figuring out what we're talking about and looking up other reviews, retailers, etc.

Quote:
Thanks for the review!
biggrin.gif

Don't know how this W n°2 compare to Vsonic GR07?

Not yet but I'm hoping to fairly soon.

Quote:
Great review! I've been waiting for this one...

Not too sure what to think though. I was lucky enough to have a great fit for the original DDM, so for $100 more it doesn't sound like there have been significant improvements in sound quality. I understand the law of diminishing returns but the DDM really did have amazing sound for its price range, and I wonder how at this new price range the DDM compares to other top-tier dynamics - notably the new Sony EX models, the new Future Sonics, new Audio Technica dynamics, etc etc. Even, how this model compares to Shures new SE215.

It seems that there's always something on the horizon...

If you own the original DDMs and get a good fit with them, the TWF21 is only worth getting if you want a small upgrade without straying from the signature. Not owning any DDM, I'd probably buy the new one since it has a sound signature that's easier to live with. Unless money was tight - then I'd buy the old one and hope for the best.

Quote:
Great review as always joker! If isolation isn't an issue, which do you prefer between this and the JVC fx700 since it is getting around that price point

The TWF21 does have some isolation; the FX700 has almost none. For day-to-day use I would much rather have the Radius - it is actually usable on a bus, the cable doesn't bother me, and so forth. For use at home, I still think the FX700 has an edge in overall SQ - it is sharper, crisper, more sparkly. Also more hard-hitting and dynamic.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 35

Quote:
 For use at home, I still think the FX700 has an edge in overall SQ - it is sharper, crisper, more sparkly. Also more hard-hitting and dynamic.

Great just what I was hoping for 
biggrin.gif
 Since I just ordered them I'm hoping they can remain top of the dynamic charts for awhile, though the sony ex1000's seem to be giving them competition now

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
Joker, This or the DBA-02 ? which one would you end up with ?

Very different earphones. The DBA-02 is tight, clean, and accurate. Very balanced and quite bright compared to TWF21. The TWF21 is slightly dark, rich, lush, smooth, and pretty bassy. DBA-02 also isolates better and doesn't seem as fragile. Personally, I pursue analytical sound so the DBA-02 is the one I'd end up with but it's really not a just comparison.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 35

Quote:

Very different earphones. The DBA-02 is tight, clean, and accurate. Very balanced and quite bright compared to TWF21. The TWF21 is slightly dark, rich, lush, smooth, and pretty bassy. DBA-02 also isolates better and doesn't seem as fragile. Personally, I pursue analytical sound so the DBA-02 is the one I'd end up with but it's really not a just comparison.

Thank you for the reply. I'm really confused on what to choose though, I have this thread asking for opinions on the Turbine Gold and the DBA-02. Now the TWF21 tagging along. I listen to Trance, House, Nujazz, chill and Hiphop. If you don't mind, could you possibly listen to 'J cole - Losing my balance' and tell me which of these three would go perfect with the instruments presented in this kind of song ?. It happens to be a favorite song of mine which mixes a few elements from the genres I've mentioned.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I'm really confused on what to choose though, I have this thread asking for opinions on the Turbine Gold and the DBA-02. Now the TWF21 tagging along. I listen to Trance, House, Nujazz, chill and Hiphop. If you don't mind, could you possibly listen to 'J cole - Losing my balance' and tell me which of these three would go perfect with the instruments presented in this kind of song ?. It happens to be a favorite song of mine which mixes a few elements from the genres I've mentioned.

What sounds best to me won't necessarily sound best to you - genre and signature preferences really don't go hand in hand all the time. I will say that for sound quality I don't see myself picking the Turbine Gold over the Radius - it's a good earphone but it's not quite as impressive as the TWF21. None of these earphones will have trouble tracking the instruments on that track but if you want tactile, enhanced bass it'd have to be the Radius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back