Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Nov 9, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #5,611 of 7,140
I have heard the Tia Fourte on Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, Questyle QP1R, and Sony NW-WM1A. I like these IEMs on the Questyle QP1R best. Very spacious, open, and natural. I will have to spend some time with both sets. the Fourte sounds crazily good and natural. The Shure SE846 has great bass quantity, however the Tia Fourte's bass presentation is quicker, nimbler, and more organically natural. The SE846 also lacks the upper midrange/treble clarity and extension of the Fourte. I have to listen longer, as these are initial impressions. The SE846 is still a warm, darkish, quality entry to the IEM market. The midrange and treble clarity, extension, and timber on the Tia Fourte is the best I have ever heard from an IEM, but still silky smooth. The Tia Fourte has a much bigger soundstage than Shure SE846. Again these pair phenomenally well with the Questyle QP1R in high gain. I am using 96kHz/24bit, high resolution files. I briefly listened to the U18 Tzar, but liked the Fourte so much more thar Tzar promptly went back in the box. I AM IN LOVE WITH THE TIA FOURTE!

Nov 10, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #5,615 of 7,140
I hope the Shure works for you Darren!

If not I would highly suggest you going to a CIEM and therefore - after a lot of different IEMS - I can warmly recommend you my beloved Warbler Prelude.

Nov 10, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #5,617 of 7,140
I liked the SE846 last time I tried it on the QP1R, so I'm looking forward to getting it.

What is the difference in sound after removing the foam from the Blue filters? I've never done it, but they are quite cheap so it's worth a go.

Make sure you remove top foam, or I believe recently it might be two halves of foam. Leave the white material at lower basket end intact. It gives a brighter treble while keeping the firm bass and nice mids intact. To me, works very nice with QP1R.

Nov 10, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #5,619 of 7,140
How does that differ from the stock white filter? As all three filters only alter the 2kHz to 8 kHz frequencies.
Loses bass quality and cohesiveness. Going on listening, not specs!

Nov 10, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #5,621 of 7,140
I really liked the pairing of the SE846s with the QP1R. I generally prefer a warm sound, but I ran with the white filters on the Shures to control the bass is bit more (it felt a bit too booming with the blues). I did try removing the foams from the blue filters, but I'm not that keen on modifying expensive equipment and it didn't have a big enough difference between the whites for me to care.

Nov 10, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #5,622 of 7,140
If you’d like to use and/or implement cost-effective modifications, I’d try out the Knowles Dampers - Red, Green and Brown are the colors I’d try out for possible exemplary results.

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #5,624 of 7,140
It must be the 2db lift in the 2kHz to 8kHz of the Whites that make it sound as if there is less bass, as there is no alteration any other frequencies

Welcome back. My understanding is that the Knowles dampers aren't a simple plug in and play type deal, though.
Thanks. The Dampers are/can be great when you try them out. Using elemental cable(s) and/or favorite universal tips or the SCS can add in personal enjoyment, in my opinion. Take care.

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #5,625 of 7,140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back