Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Apr 4, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #1,441 of 7,140
Apr 4, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #1,442 of 7,140
@moedawg140  Many thanks for this excellent review. As a new qp1r owner I keep going back to it as a reference and it's been very much appreciated. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #1,443 of 7,140
Hello all, my first post on this forum and would like to thank all of you for this thread, especially Moedawg140 for the extensive review. 

A few days ago, my set up was Fiio X3ii, Fiio E12, Shure SE535, Oppo PM-3, and Fostex TH500rp. Enjoyed it and my local store called me to come in and test a new DAP, which was the QP1R. 

When I first heard it, it was a world of difference! I then auditioned the Sony ZX2 and felt the sound was just not as good as the QP1R. Ended up buying it.

I apologize if I do not know the lingo of the audiophile world but I can hear the difference :D

Bought it and been loving it since. I had previously pre-ordered a Chord Mojo so waiting for that to arrive sometime this week. 

Thinking to get the current Massdrop TH-X00 Purpleheart so would appreciate any differences between that and the TH500RP. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #1,444 of 7,140
Great additions moedawg140, the most comprehensive review just got better! Fantastic effort.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,445 of 7,140
  Hello all, my first post on this forum and would like to thank all of you for this thread, especially Moedawg140 for the extensive review. 

A few days ago, my set up was Fiio X3ii, Fiio E12, Shure SE535, Oppo PM-3, and Fostex TH500rp. Enjoyed it and my local store called me to come in and test a new DAP, which was the QP1R. 

When I first heard it, it was a world of difference! I then auditioned the Sony ZX2 and felt the sound was just not as good as the QP1R. Ended up buying it.

I apologize if I do not know the lingo of the audiophile world but I can hear the difference :D

Bought it and been loving it since. I had previously pre-ordered a Chord Mojo so waiting for that to arrive sometime this week. 

Thinking to get the current Massdrop TH-X00 Purpleheart so would appreciate any differences between that and the TH500RP. 

Welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet! 
wink_face.gif

You don't have to know the "lingo", just enjoy the music! 
biggrin.gif

I can't wait for my QP1R to show up and replace my X5 Gen 2 and E12A Amp! 
popcorn.gif

Cheers and All the Best! 
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #1,446 of 7,140
The QP1R will drive the Fostex very nicely, I have the TH-X00. You will want a flexible 1/4" female to 3.5mm male stereo plug like the one Sennheiser makes. The stock Fostex cable with strait adapter puts (I think) too much stress on the QP1R plug and is asking for an early failure.

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #1,447 of 7,140
Thank you both! 

Since the massdrop was extended, that has been on my mind. I have a few more days to think about it, since I worry the 500rp will sound too similar and maybe I should just save up for a Hifiman HE1000 :D

FWIW, my QP1R is at FW 1.05 and I have had no issues with it. Took about 6 hours to charge from 27% to 100% using my laptop at work so that's about right. Took it out of the box with 97% battery life at about 4.30pm yesterday and drained it down to aforementioned 27% after about 7 hours of listening to a mix of FLAC and DSD files on it. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #1,448 of 7,140
Thanks to OP for taking my suggestion for inclusion of hiss findings to be included in original review to heart. We each get to make a call about how much of a deal breaker it is, but I welcome the additional information to be there for future purchasers of this device.

I noted above different behaviour with different firmware, something as simple as a mute sequence when paused/powered on may well mask the issue for many, particularly those with a tendency to listen with ambient noise even with sensitive IEMs.

J

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,449 of 7,140

I personally listen to a big mix (except heavy metal) but I can relate to your preference. The QP1R will surprise you. Even with Coldplay's new 'A Head Full of Dreams' album it sounded great. That said I'm currently in the 90's music mood. GANGSTA PARADISE!

Love me some old school '90's music.  Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, SWV, En Vogue.  Blissful to listen, even to this day! 
beerchug.gif

The QP1R and Bose QC25 kept me happy on the plane. No match for my Angies, but the Bose cancels out noise beautifully. It has never sounded as good as it did with the QP1R. I was the only one I saw on the plane that was not using a tablet or smartphone for music.

I found that listening with customs/SE846 + SCS effectively cuts out from in-cabin aircraft pressurization eustachian tube ear pain completely.  A godsend when paired with the QP1R.

@moedawg140  Many thanks for this excellent review. As a new qp1r owner I keep going back to it as a reference and it's been very much appreciated. 
beerchug.gif

The comments mean a lot to me, @MattTCG.  I appreciate you as well - and your excellent posts, my friend. 
beerchug.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi, and welcome to the thread - you are most welcome for the review, hope it was of positive use for you and those who read it.  Looks like you have a fine stable of equipment!  Enjoy your gear and anything else you decide to purchase!  Looking forward to any more impressions you have of your gear as well. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Great additions moedawg140, the most comprehensive review just got better! Fantastic effort.

Thank you sir.  I appreciate your comments and our messages as well (thanks for the support) and look forward to seeing you again in London in a few months! Cheers, my friend.

Welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet! 
wink_face.gif

You don't have to know the "lingo", just enjoy the music! 
biggrin.gif

I can't wait for my QP1R to show up and replace my X5 Gen 2 and E12A Amp! 
popcorn.gif

Cheers and All the Best! 
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Very true!  Lingo, schmingo, let's listen and bob our heads, dance, or simply stay frozen in sheer bliss from the music we like to listen to the most! 
k701smile.gif

The QP1R will drive the Fostex very nicely, I have the TH-X00. You will want a flexible 1/4" female to 3.5mm male stereo plug like the one Sennheiser makes. The stock Fostex cable with strait adapter puts (I think) too much stress on the QP1R plug and is asking for an early failure.

I agree!  The Sennheiser 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter is my favorite in my stable and very reliable in connection.  Doesn't the TH-X00 sound amazing with the QP1R?  My goodness. 
beyersmile.png

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #1,451 of 7,140
  Hi moedawg140

Have you ever listened to a FiiO X5/E12 combination? If so, what was your impressions?

Regards

Darren

Hi Darren,

I've listened to the X5 on several occasions but not the E12.  The X5 is not as resolute as the QP1R, and is a slightly thinner sound in nature.  This has been confirmed with X5 owners (at least one owner that I know - with regards to the QP1R sounding better to their ears).  For the price though, the X5 is a commendable product. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,452 of 7,140
Hi moedawg140

Have you ever listened to a FiiO X5 (1st Gen) and E12A combination? If so, what was your impressions?

Regards

Darren

I've had an X5/E12A and had this question for a long time. The combination isn't even close to the QP as a stand alone in my opinion. YMMV

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #1,453 of 7,140
I've had an X5/E12A and had this question for a long time. The combination isn't even close to the QP as a stand alone in my opinion. YMMV

Thanks for your impression, appreciate it! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,455 of 7,140
  Thanks for your answers guys. I've got a X5/E12A combo. I might keep it for the beach!

Yeah, why not?  Shoot, I still have my old school Creative Zen and iRiver (Astell & Kern) Clix 2...those are always useful for burning-in audio equipment (such as IEMs) without having to use the QP1R or other sources to burn-in audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back