Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Sep 20, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #122 of 7,140
  @moedawg140 -

Is there any chance you'll be able to try the QP1R with the Shure SRH840? It's presently my only headphone of any type. I'd be delighted to read your impressions!

Best regards,
Brian

Hi Brian,

The only way that I would be able to try the QP1R with the Shure SRH840 currently is for you to send it to me (I would send it back to you), and I would be more than happy to add it to the review.  Please send me a PM if interested.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #123 of 7,140

With gain set as High, QP1-R and HD800 sounded great. Spacious, holographic, thick, balanced, sparkling without much harshness, decent bass. Technically and musically, this is one great DAP. Controls are decent, but I wished the scroll wheel to be more responsive and the centre click button to be less stiff.

But for most IEMs, to my incompetent ears, the difference in SQ between the QP1-R and the iPhone 6 plus is very very small, in fact I'm not sure which is better! The iPhone 6 plus is one hell of a player for IEMs, and it's free!

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #124 of 7,140
What did you not find "better" about the QP1R? Tonality or technical detail? I am serious when I say this even though it may look like I'm mocking, I really wish I didn't hear the differences so clearly between DAPs (individually, each player having its own traits) and cellphones, it is killing my wallet bouncing from pillar to post, must've spent the best part of $10k on portable gear in the past 12 months (can list to confirm validity should anyone wish) and each item brings such a definable difference to the table that it cannot feasibly be placebo...

:frowning2:

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #125 of 7,140
What did you not find "better" about the QP1R? Tonality or technical detail? I am serious when I say this even though it may look like I'm mocking, I really wish I didn't hear the differences so clearly between DAPs (individually, each player having its own traits) and cellphones, it is killing my wallet bouncing from pillar to post, must've spent the best part of $10k on portable gear in the past 12 months (can list to confirm validity should anyone wish) and each item brings such a definable difference to the table that it cannot feasibly be placebo...

frown.gif

I too was a DAP guy, bouncing between X5->AK120 II->L5->LP5,  each were different and clearly better than my previous iphone 5. Seriously, try a iPhone 6 Plus with your IEMs and compare with your DAPs, please let me know what u think after that.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #127 of 7,140

frown.gif

mmm.....friendly advice: trust your ears, even if others say otherwise. The stupidest thing you can do is to let others decide for you.

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #128 of 7,140

frown.gif

mmm.....friendly advice: trust your ears, even if others say otherwise. The stupidest thing you can do is to let others decide for you.

That's what I meant, u don't have to believe what I said, just do the comparison, then decide on your own. Don't take anything like "a DAP must be better than a phone" as truth. Trust your ears. Try it, iPhone 6 Plus, not Samsung phones, not 4.7" iPhone 6, try the big one. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #129 of 7,140

frown.gif

I am just going to say this and don't get discouraged because I think I understand what Zeissiez is trying to say.  To my ears the iPhone 6 and 6 plus did sound inferior to my AK Jr.  However, they were able to produce a louder sound with more difficult to drive headphones.  This normally would give the illusion that the iPhone 6 would have a better sound than the AK Jr but that simply is just not true.  The sound separation and quality on the AK Jr. far surpassed anything I have heard on a regular cell phone.

Not to discourage Zeissiez but I would like to challenge you to listen to some serious reference recordings and give you opinion.  I would admit that for electronic music it might be a tie but what I reference is rock and roll tracks which have excellent sound separation (paul simon, peter gabriel, judas priest, def leppard, etc).  Then tell me how it sounds.  I feel like iphones blend everything together and you don't get the feeling of being there with the artists playing the music (maybe I am just in fantasy land here but it does sound like that).  The bass is usually not tight.  The brightness is too high.

I am in no way trying to say that your ears are wrong and if honestly you love the music you are listening to with your iPhone 6 plus that is great but the way I feel when I put connect my IEMs to my Fiio x5ii or AK JR is that there is so much more to the music than I thought there was and I pick up on so many more details I didn't know were there when I first heard the song.  Trust me I am not trying to convert you to something else I am just trying to say to the people out there that hear a noticeable difference between their phones and their DAPs is that I am with you and that I can tell it's different.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #130 of 7,140
For reference, it is the iPhone 6+ that I used, and am using to send this post now, and it definitely sounds inferior to my DAPs...

Oh, yes, it is an EU model, but jail broken and all EU volume limits disabled by editing the relevant plist files :)

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #131 of 7,140

With gain set as High, QP1-R and HD800 sounded great. Spacious, holographic, thick, balanced, sparkling without much harshness, decent bass. Technically and musically, this is one great DAP. Controls are decent, but I wished the scroll wheel to be more responsive and the centre click button to be less stiff.

But for most IEMs, to my incompetent ears, the difference in SQ between the QP1-R and the iPhone 6 plus is very very small, in fact I'm not sure which is better! The iPhone 6 plus is one hell of a player for IEMs, and it's free!

Unfortunately, where the QP1R is going to really shine is with Hi-Rez files, especially DSD, and the iPhone 6 can't play those.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #132 of 7,140
Unfortunately, where the QP1R is going to really shine is with Hi-Rez files, especially DSD, and the iPhone 6 can't play those.

As far as I know, the iPhone 6 can currently only play DSD to PCM converted files via a music playback application such as ONKYO HF Player.

Source: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onkyo-hf-player/id704139896?mt=8

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #133 of 7,140
Where can Questyle be purchased in the US?

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #134 of 7,140
Does anyone have the firmware file (or URL) for the release version of the QP1R?

I'm still on beta, but haven't heard from Questyle for a while now, and want to know how things have moved on...

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #135 of 7,140
Does anyone have the firmware file (or URL) for the release version of the QP1R?

I'm still on beta, but haven't heard from Questyle for a while now, and want to know how things have moved on...

Thanks.

You've got PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back