Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 29, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #1,291 of 7,140
No hiss with my roxannes either.

Sweet - no hiss for me from my HD25, barely perceptable noise with my 535, zero hiss from my HD600s. My 846s are hissing =when paused=, which is why I didn't notice it before (everytime I tested the player I just dove into music, and analogue recordings with tape his are masking the amp hiss). I only noticed when listening to a digital recording, which is why I came here for help.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,293 of 7,140
  Quote:
  Hi

Can you let me know who this is please? I've tried to search who the UK distributor is, but can't find anything.

Regards

Darren

Hi, the company who distribute Questyle in the UK are; SCV Distribution.

Contact details:  
Telephone 03301 222500
Email sales@scvdistribution.co.uk
Unit C1, Belcon Industrial Estate,
Geddings Road,
Hoddesdon,
Hertfordshire EN11 0NT

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,298 of 7,140
The wheel cover is a clear plastic donut. I never got to try mine without it. I'm not sure how much of an effect it has. I still have trouble spinning the wheel without hitting the adaptive touch buttons. My fingers are dry and it's hard for me to get traction. So I lick my finger a lot to turn the page! Gross right? Consider yourselves warned, you don't want to ever touch my QP1R :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #1,301 of 7,140
...I'll be heading up there today. Again, not sure why people are upset at ME that I might be having hiss - I'm asking, explicitly, if others heard it. If you have an 846, and the player, and no hiss, great! It's the player and a new one might not exhibit this. If I'm being told the 846 hisses all the time, that it'll be a fundamental problem with this player, fine! Good info to have, I would think, and exactly the point of this forum. I either live with it, or return it.

As an experiment I tried it with the volume attenuator - as expected, you can lower the volume to remove the his, then crank the QP for louder sound. Listening on L gain at about 30 there was noticeable hiss. I paused, lowered volume on dongle to remove hiss, then tried to ballpark similar sound level. Volume on the QP was now about 50-55.

I don't know what I'm losing, if anything, in terms of SQ doing it this way, but this seems, =to me=, to be an untenable workaround.

OK, I'm not part of this 'clique' as you put it because I don't own a QP1R. I certainly would have done if a Mojo hadn't fallen my way just as I was waiting for UK online sale. But I take an interest because it's the finest stand alone DAP I have heard, and that includes the AKs and many others at last years UK Canjam.

I'm interested in your view because I do own the Shure 846 and have seen similar comments on other threads. I had not noticed hiss via my Hugo until people reported and debated it. I then could, a little, when music not playing.

Now I'm not trying to be funny here, just curious, but what is the obsession with hearing a small amount of hiss when no music is playing? I must be missing something, as all my listening is to music. Maybe I'm an old fart, who suffered so much loud hiss and noise before records started, that I'm imune to it. But something you really have to seek out, instead of enjoying the music puzzles me?

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #1,302 of 7,140
I know this is butting in a little, but I will anyway.

I have put a lot of effort into finding "clean" classical music. That is well recorded and without the ambient hiss that is prevalent in many poorly recorded symphonies. It increases my enjoyment of the piece when there is silence where it is intended to be. So I can understand the desire to not have hiss in the player.

I, luckily, do not have the reported hiss. But just wanted to answer your question.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,303 of 7,140
I'm not part of any "clique" either. I don't even own the qp1r and only started reading this thread a couple of days ago....I just got the impression that moedawg was being blamed for not mentioning it has hiss (when no other reviews did either) , and that somehow he was responsible for a poor purchase choice, which is ridiculous.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #1,304 of 7,140
I know this is butting in a little, but I will anyway.

I have put a lot of effort into finding "clean" classical music. That is well recorded and without the ambient hiss that is prevalent in many poorly recorded symphonies. It increases my enjoyment of the piece when there is silence where it is intended to be. So I can understand the desire to not have hiss in the player.

I, luckily, do not have the reported hiss. But just wanted to answer your question.

That's a valid point for digital recordings of classical music, if its loud enough to be intrusive. Although, in my many years listening to classical concerts at the Royal Albert and Festival Halls, I've yet to hear silence, LOL!

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #1,305 of 7,140
I checked with Cavalli about the inputs on their Liquid Carbon which I hope to own someday for my home headphone rig. It is an amp only and has no DAC function. If I run the fixed line out from my QP1R to the Carbon via 3.5mm stereo cable is that considered "bi amping"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back