Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 24, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,171 of 7,140
Hi. I paired my Qp1r with the kse1500. And wow! Super clean SQ. You can hear every fine detail . The drum beats are fast and clean , not labored or muddy . Hard hitting ! You a base head ? No problemo . Tailor it to your hearing pref. It realy makes the Qp1r . Shine even more ! Cost with two 200.gig full of flac. And DSDs . And sensophonics full shells . Is 5000.00.usd. or the price of a good used car ! Silly habbit !

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #1,172 of 7,140
  I've read on the French forum I hang out that QP1 (not R) was being discountinued. Is that a fact ?

Pretty sure its not Having said that, the QP1 is harder to get than the QP1R in Europe.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,174 of 7,140
Have a question...I would definitely use the QP1R as my portable player but would also like to use it as a source for my home system feeding an external dac and amp. The big question is how practical is it and how easy is generating and managing playlists (even if I have to use my PC)?

I'm sorry if I missed this elsewhere.
Cheers and Thanks!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,175 of 7,140
  - Anyone who has used both the Onkyo and this player, which would you choose and why? (Balanced I know is an option, I don't have balanced cables for my IEMs and am still a bit skeptical it really would make much of a difference for 9ohm loads)

Basically, anything that you'd let a new buyer know would be great - not to dissuade, just so I go in eyes wide open if I take the plunge. Have read through the vast majority of the thread, but looking for current owners running current FW.

Thanks!

I have both players, and they are very different players. QP1R is to me the king of SQ out of the players I tried right now, I even prefer it to AK380. But its UI is dated and getting to essential functionalities can be a chore.
DP-X1 is android with touch control, things like browsing through music collection, applying EQ (I really like the Featured EQ collection btw), searching for songs are very intuitive; plus you have a lot of customization in the forms of digital filters and clock control. I put tidal and other service as a nice bonus feature, it's convenient to quickly search for a song not in the sd-card once a while and see how it sounds with the player. Granted that the SQ out of balanced is not as good as the QP1R, but I say it comes pretty close to my ears. I wouldn't ever complain about it.

The battery life of the QP1R so far has been great! The DP-X1 on the other hand, drains fast, charges fast, small battery, what can you do? :)

So all in all, QP1R is probably worth every single dollar and more as a pure audio playback device that drives IEMs and hungry headphones alike; and the DP-X1 on the other hand is a complete package with lots of bells and whistles, and still manages to sound pretty damn good, balanced cable is much preferred to reach its full potential. 

I intent to keep both, I love them both. If you are to choose one, QP1R for SQ, DP-X1 for versatility.

Hope this helps. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #1,176 of 7,140
  I have both players, and they are very different players. QP1R is to me the king of SQ out of the players I tried right now, I even prefer it to AK380. But its UI is dated and getting to essential functionalities can be a chore.
DP-X1 is android with touch control, things like browsing through music collection, applying EQ (I really like the Featured EQ collection btw), searching for songs are very intuitive; plus you have a lot of customization in the forms of digital filters and clock control. I put tidal and other service as a nice bonus feature, it's convenient to quickly search for a song not in the sd-card once a while and see how it sounds with the player. Granted that the SQ out of balanced is not as good as the QP1R, but I say it comes pretty close to my ears. I wouldn't ever complain about it.

The battery life of the QP1R so far has been great! The DP-X1 on the other hand, drains fast, charges fast, small battery, what can you do? :)

So all in all, QP1R is probably worth every single dollar and more as a pure audio playback device that drives IEMs and hungry headphones alike; and the DP-X1 on the other hand is a complete package with lots of bells and whistles, and still manages to sound pretty damn good, balanced cable is much preferred to reach its full potential. 

I intent to keep both, I love them both. If you are to choose one, QP1R for SQ, DP-X1 for versatility.

Hope this helps. 

Excellent, cheers... Battery life would be an annoyance, but I do love the features of the Onkyo. Again, I've got an android phone, I could hypothetically just use that and "suffer" for those times with lowly non-awesome sound... :)

Still a tough call between the two, especially as they're the same price. I guess I should ask, are there rumblings of a QPR1ii? I tend to have a habit of buying these things just before the new one is announced...

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #1,177 of 7,140
Thanks for all the clarification. Makes sense to leave the little beauty alone then.

If I might chime in, I tried Mojo and preferred QP1R straight.  As for Hugo, I use it as desktop from USB.  I tried my QP with Hugo, worked once and then never again.  Tried two cords with negative results.
I for one, like either of these devices in their places.  I think the Mojo was overkill and unneeded by me. 
To make a short story long, for me, the QP is great on its own, and the optical connection limits the bandwidth that you can feed to the Hugo.  I wish they'd gone with co-ax instead, but that's what we have.
You can try suplementing the QP, but I don't choose to.

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,178 of 7,140

Hope this helps. 

Excellent, cheers... Battery life would be an annoyance, but I do love the features of the Onkyo. Again, I've got an android phone, I could hypothetically just use that and "suffer" for those times with lowly non-awesome sound... :)

Still a tough call between the two, especially as they're the same price. I guess I should ask, are there rumblings of a QPR1ii? I tend to have a habit of buying these things just before the new one is announced...

Perhaps, you could save a bit of cash and pick up a Mojo for your android phone.

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #1,180 of 7,140

I have been wondering if getting a LG V10 is a good sacrifice to have both Android phone and a decent high end DAP, same goes for the LG G5, both phones intrigue me.

As of the next product from Questyle, no clue... This is their very first DAP, they are still selling like hot cakes so I don't see a mk ii coming in the near future.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,184 of 7,140
Honestly, check it, I just bought a Subaru Crosstrek and the stereo sucks, but on an 8 hour drive yesterday I decided to burn in my QP, it made the stereo sound better... Hmmm. So today I'm in a ski cabin listening to it through my little Jambox, and, well, that dinky Jambox sounds better than it ever has! (Insert theme from The Twilight Zone) This is freaking me out.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,185 of 7,140
  Played with one the other day, really enjoyed look/feel, it's almost the perfect play that I've been seeking out - 2 microSD slots (with some built in memory), real volume switch, decent enough battery life, quick operation and nowhere near the wallet-blistering insanity of AK's equivalent.

Have been trolling the Onkyo thread since its release and it certainly looks promising, and does stuff I could well use - streaming from Tidal and/or Spotify, connection to my NAS, bluetooth, etc. I'll miss those, but frankly can probably live through using my phone for those things. For when I'm listening with phones, usually when travelling, I want rock solid and quick performance from all formats I throw at the thing, and this certainly looks like it fits the bill.

I've got an X5ii that's been doing OK but has also been a bit frustrating - due to its power saving mode I keep finding it dead right when I need to use it, and navigating through thousands of MP3s on specific cards can be brutal (I only ever nav via folders). I haven't tested a full 128/200gb card full of MP3s but that's probably the final torture test for the QP.

I'll be listening with my Shure 846s to DSD, HD FLAC, 16/44 FLAC and V0 MP3

So, I know all the good bits, but been having a tough time finding the quibbles for the player. Every review is from early on, curious about real-time users what you've been finding months in and on newest FW

- Any challenges with 1000s of files on cards?
- Any slowdowns/crashes that are repeatable?
- Does battery life live up to the 8-10 hours from the reviewers?
- Anyone who has used both the Onkyo and this player, which would you choose and why? (Balanced I know is an option, I don't have balanced cables for my IEMs and am still a bit skeptical it really would make much of a difference for 9ohm loads)

Basically, anything that you'd let a new buyer know would be great - not to dissuade, just so I go in eyes wide open if I take the plunge. Have read through the vast majority of the thread, but looking for current owners running current FW.

Thanks!

I have both the QP1R and the Onkyo. I had the QP1R since around Dec.  I have to say that if sound quality is your main concern, Its QP1R all the way. Despite the many issues I have with the QP1R, I still decided not to sell my unit. However if I was able to make a decision now to but a QP1R or get a Onkyo, I may go with a onkyo first and wait while QP1R makers work out the "kinks"

These are some of the areas which I feel is lacking in the QP1R. I know it may not bother some folks. But it borders on almost making it unusable or irritiatingly unusable to me. I hope that I am not being negative but I just want potential buyers of this unit to know what they are getting into.

1. We have 2 slots. Great. But there is still a limit of 9999 files in total in category views. More then 9999 files can be viewed in full under browser view which works great and as it should. But any files over 9999 files will not show up when viewing under categories. Not a major issue for me as I only have flac/dsd files and i get under 9999 files. May be of concern for some if they have lots of mp3 etc.

2. Category view is unusable in my view. Especially artist. Currently when you go into artist view, say Madonna. It will next show you all her songs in numerical order from all her albums in your library. I do not see how this is what someone wants.  So to play her true blue album, I need to browse to her album in album view under T or view browser view.  My Onkyo and Plenue D does this correctly. As does my AK 100

3. Getting to the album or artist or song that you want is difficult.  Part of the issue is with 200GB cards and 2 slots, you can actually store alot of lossless songs. The interface is lacking in ways to scroll or search for titles easily or fast. E.g. The scroll wheel does not increase in speed once it reaches its fastest speed. It will take you many scrolls to get to the middle of your items. And if you accidentally slip and hit one of the soft buttons, it goes back one menu and you have to start all over again. I have suggested to the manufacturer to looks at perhaps showing A-Z in 26 lines or even say A-D, E-H, I-L etc etc when ever you click in each of the category like Artist/Album/Song/Genre etc. that lessens the scrolling required to get to your choice. At the moment, I have resorted to actually using browser view and putting my songs under folders Genre then A-L and M-Z to help me navigate easier. 

4. No Tidal/Spotify etc.  May be important to some

This being said, it is the best sounding player I have (Plenue D, AK 100 Mk II, Onkyo DP-1X and on par/different sound signature to Iphone/AK100 MK 2 to Mojo)  when listening on my HE560/Stax 507, Hum Pristine, Jays Qjays, Orion, Dunu 1 ES, PSB M4U. Its like a love hate player for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back