Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 21, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #1,126 of 7,140
Btw I kinda regret listening to your QP1R. After I got mine my Calyx M is embarking on a journey to dust collection. Seriously if they made it with a better battery it would be a much viable option.

Right? And I agree with your battery statement. If it makes you feel any better, after I listened to more DAPs this weekend (all volume matched by app), I still have not listened to anything as detailed and resolute as the QP1R.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #1,127 of 7,140
I'd like to jump in here with a few quick questions to help me get started before really reading through this thread, thanks in advance.

1. Can I use my iPad charger (2.4A) with the supplied USB/Mini USB cabe to charge it?

2. I ordered a  couple of 200GB SanDisc cards for it today. They are backordered from B&H. I figured I may as well go big but if there is any known issue with those cards I could change my order.

3. I have only used Apple iTunes. I successfully brought files over to the QP1R using the drag and drop method. I created album folders in the QP1R internal storage and dragged the songs into them. I also ripped some CD's to higher fidelity using iTunes on my MAC. I had never done this before. I ripped using both Apple Lossless Encoder and AIFF Encoder. They both play fine. Is there a difference? Is one superior to the other? I think WAV was the other lossless option.

4. I noticed that the Apple Lossless and AIFF files both came over to the QP1R with song names but no album art. I can live with that. But the default iTunes (lossy) rips I made in the before times came over with album art. Is the album art lost with Apple Lossless and AIFF?

5. Is it just me or is the scroll wheel difficult to turn? My fingers are so dry I have to lick them to get enough traction to turn the wheel. I am thinking I should take off the clear plastic wheel cover the salesman applied at the time of purchase.

FWIW I played with several DAP's at CanJam and I really loved the look and feel of the QP1R. But I got it because it sounds fantastic and I wasn't interested in a lot of features. Just portable high res music.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #1,131 of 7,140
  I'd like to jump in here with a few quick questions to help me get started before really reading through this thread, thanks in advance.

1. Can I use my iPad charger (2.4A) with the supplied USB/Mini USB cabe to charge it?

2. I ordered a  couple of 200GB SanDisc cards for it today. They are backordered from B&H. I figured I may as well go big but if there is any known issue with those cards I could change my order.

3. I have only used Apple iTunes. I successfully brought files over to the QP1R using the drag and drop method. I created album folders in the QP1R internal storage and dragged the songs into them. I also ripped some CD's to higher fidelity using iTunes on my MAC. I had never done this before. I ripped using both Apple Lossless Encoder and AIFF Encoder. They both play fine. Is there a difference? Is one superior to the other? I think WAV was the other lossless option.

4. I noticed that the Apple Lossless and AIFF files both came over to the QP1R with song names but no album art. I can live with that. But the default iTunes (lossy) rips I made in the before times came over with album art. Is the album art lost with Apple Lossless and AIFF?

5. Is it just me or is the scroll wheel difficult to turn? My fingers are so dry I have to lick them to get enough traction to turn the wheel. I am thinking I should take off the clear plastic wheel cover the salesman applied at the time of purchase.

FWIW I played with several DAP's at CanJam and I really loved the look and feel of the QP1R. But I got it because it sounds fantastic and I wasn't interested in a lot of features. Just portable high res music.

Hi,

1. Yes, virtually any charger/powered USB port with USB cable will charge the QP1/QP1R, albeit with different charging times based on amperage of charger, cable used, etcetera.

2. The 200GB cards from SanDisk will work - I and others are using them without issue.

3. Listen to every version you want to possibly use and choose the file format that sounds the best to your ears (storage space shouldn't matter too much because of the 200GB cards you will be using).

4. You may have to use different software to get the album art to show up on the QP1R if it isn't able to show with your specific albums (not limited to Apple Lossless and AIFF).

5. You can purchase a wheel cover from Questyle (contact Bruce from Questyle for ordering info).  I have one on my QP1R right now, and it is very good - the wheel turns with ease and everyone who has tried it (so far, at CanJam SoCal a couple days ago) agrees.  I will be talking more about it in my next update.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #1,132 of 7,140
Thank you so much! I just stayed up way too late and read your review, incredible. I also listened to my brand new QP1R through my Foxtex TH-X00 for a couple hours. Wonderful... I compared it to my home system which has a tube headphone amp and it sounds as if I will have a great portable system now with no shortcomings.
I will try to learn more how to attach metadata but from your review it sounds like I am using the filing system as intended.
The wheel cover you mentioned must be what I got too. It is clear and Bruce made a point of installing it for me. I got my QP1R Saturday at CanJam. From your review I expect the wheel will loosen up a bit from use.
I'm also glad I got a Questyle cover after reading your review, I would hate to drop it!

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,134 of 7,140
  I just noticed my new QP1R is still V1.0.2. Should I update to V1.0.5? Or just leave it alone, LOL.

You can update to 1.0.5, just make a mental note that settings may change, so I would highly advise you to record your settings before updating, so you can set whatever you have if the update changes your settings to Questyle's defaults.  You will at least need to change the volume direction setting if you like the direction it is currently rotating, as the update by default changes the rotation direction.  If you have any crazy issues with the 1.0.5 firmware, you can revert back to the 1.0.2 firmware via my Google Drive link (in this thread).

Let us know how it goes!

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,135 of 7,140
moedawg140 you're killing me! It's like you're sitting here beside me :wink: Thanks bro. Update went smooth as silk, well, except for tearing the house apart looking for a Micro SD Card (found a 2GB in an old flip phone, LOL). Reversed the volume knob rotation and Joe Jackson is singing sweetly (his 'Fast Forward' album is absolutely wonderful in every possible way-gush).
You know what, lets change this up for a minute. I have noticed some rap music genre references in your posts. Or I think I have? Anywhooo, I only have a few "rap" albums. Blackalicious, Common, nothing really. Watched Straight Outta Compton Last Week and decided I want something new to me. Throw me bone here! Something that hits hard, sounds great, something serious. Current. I can't just listen to indie, pop, jazz, classical, and Swedish death metal for the rest of my life... right?

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,136 of 7,140
  moedawg140 you're killing me! It's like you're sitting here beside me :wink: Thanks bro. Update went smooth as silk, well, except for tearing the house apart looking for a Micro SD Card (found a 2GB in an old flip phone, LOL). Reversed the volume knob rotation and Joe Jackson is singing sweetly (his 'Fast Forward' album is absolutely wonderful in every possible way-gush).
You know what, lets change this up for a minute. I have noticed some rap music genre references in your posts. Or I think I have? Anywhooo, I only have a few "rap" albums. Blackalicious, Common, nothing really. Watched Straight Outta Compton Last Week and decided I want something new to me. Throw me bone here! Something that hits hard, sounds great, something serious. Current. I can't just listen to indie, pop, jazz, classical, and Swedish death metal for the rest of my life... right?

listen the new The Weekend album on the QP1R

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,137 of 7,140
I have a stupid question,

Doing research for a new set of earphones .... one has a passive noise reduction of -25dB  and the other is -18dB .... I just need to confirm if I'm correct in that  the -18dB will let less outside noise in  and is slightly better in this case

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,138 of 7,140
  I have a stupid question,

Doing research for a new set of earphones .... one has a passive noise reduction of -25dB  and the other is -18dB .... I just need to confirm if I'm correct in that  the -18dB will let less outside noise in  and is slightly better in this case

No confirmation with regards to what is better based on paper measurements.  Try out the earphones (with different sizes-fit-all tips that accentuate isolation/noise reduction in different levels) yourself to find out if they isolate well enough (or let in outside noise) to your wants and needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back